I can't be the only one thinking it about the Norton...
KypDurron Offline

Threads: 23
I can't be the only one thinking it about the Norton...
It's just promo and style that puts it in first and they're essentially putting someone in 1st spot that everyone will have to work through. He's clearly not on the top guys pace.

A lot of people have justified his spot by pointing to his 130mph lap but the top boys are doing 132 and 133 now.
04-06-2017, 02:14 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
RE: I can't be the only one thinking it about the Norton...
not really sure what your trying to say there
are you having a go at norton
or 1 off the riders
for me last year norton as a whole team and rider made a big step forward in what the are saying is there development period
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
04-06-2017, 02:26 PM
Find Reply
billybookcase Offline

Threads: 13
Both in the top ten at the moment isn't bad.
Will be interesting if/when they get their own engine
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
04-06-2017, 03:33 PM
Find Reply
KypDurron Offline

There's no doubt that Norton have had a good step forward and I've got nothing to say against the riders, but the bike isn't there yet.

As for them being in the top ten, let's recall how many retirements and pit lane speed penalties there were.

I just don't know that they should be in the first spot so that all the top teams have to work past him on the first lap.
04-06-2017, 04:11 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
you obviously don't have much of an opinion of all the others that finished behind them then?.
04-06-2017, 04:26 PM
Find Reply
billybookcase Offline

But they didn't retire and they didn't speed in the pit lane, so they got a top ten.
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2017, 04:28 PM by Malcolm.)
04-06-2017, 04:28 PM
Find Reply
civ Offline

Threads: 3
(04-06-2017, 04:11 PM)KypDurron Wrote: As for them being in the top ten, let's recall how many retirements and pit lane speed penalties there were.  

And they entered a bike that made it to the finish line.

To finish first, first you must finish.
04-06-2017, 04:57 PM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
Both Brooks and Johnson are ranked in the top 20. 1st away is not a awarded. Lots of riders don't want to go 1st away. I remember Gary Johnson doing it a few years back.
04-06-2017, 05:56 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Maybe i'm old fashioned but last time I headed off down Bray Hill in a race I knew that i'd have to overtake some of the riders in front of me and by unwanted design my position in the race would benefit from some of them breaking down or falling off - it's all intrinsical parts of road racing. You don't just happen upon a marginally slower rider right there in your way, you'll get a glimpse in the distance of them or a reflection of the sun from their screen / fairing on the road ahead it's then down to you to figure out where you are going to catch them and where you are going to do them safely, you're also trusting the guy in front and at the same time leaving him enough road after going past .. My very very good late friend Ian Young was No 1 the year he lost his life, he told me it felt unexpectedly different starting No 1, it was not a problem but just that little bit different so I suspect it's not for everyone.
04-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Find Reply
KypDurron Offline

Right, well wrong is wrong then.

There's too much experience in the thread to disagree with. I retract my comment.
05-06-2017, 03:22 AM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

If Norton ever start getting podiums I am sure the proper manufacturers will protest as the bike is being running under a set of rules which is at the discretion of the organisers.  I like this rule as it lets bikes in like the Suter but should it not be incorporated in the senior regs.The Senior rules use to give bikes like Norton some leeway for innovation but as of this year they have been changed to be exactly the same as the superbike ones.

kilbil
05-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Find Reply