Guy looked a bit shook up in that interview...
billybookcase Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Guy looked a bit shook up in that interview...
The interview on tonight's program seemed to say it all about the bike and their confidence in it.
I don't think he will be riding it this year.
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
05-06-2017, 10:16 PM
Find Reply
KypDurron Offline

Threads: 23
I agree. I know that opinions of Guy range all over the place, but one thing I have always respected about him is his attitude towards the bike. If he truly feels it is not ready, he will not sit it. I think he was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt with the new electronics package, but after Sunday, I do not think he trusts the bike for the course, and when you consider that while he is not seriously injured, he certainly has some bumps and bruises that will leave him less than 100 percent, I would say we may not see him in the Senior.

I think Guy is a great chap and I desperately wanted him to get his TT win, but I want him and all the riders, whom I respect immensely to grow grey hairs and tell stories to youngsters decades from now.

"Let me tell you about false neutrals, young'un."

He will have to make a hard decision this week.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2017, 04:11 AM by KypDurron.)
06-06-2017, 04:10 AM
Find Reply
Sussex Ninja Gal' Offline

Threads: 11
Last night's interview was what I expected tbh i.e. Jonny Twelvetrees looking to (quite literally) salvage some positive PR for the Big H by pushing ahead to get a bike ready for the Senior; and Guy looking semi-traumatised by the whole SP-2 experience. Goodness knows if he (GM) will go out on the thing again - if ever - but I don't think even his harshest critics would blame him if he doesn't. Quite where that leaves him regarding the TT Zero ride only he and Honda know, but I would imagine that Mugan would be extremely keen to get Guy out there with Brucie. At least he won't have any more false neutral nonsense to worry about...
06-06-2017, 10:14 AM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
I was always told about racing around the TT course that first of all you must want it and you want be there. I don't think guy wants to be there.
06-06-2017, 02:18 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
You have to want and need it more than anything else in your life ... when that desire leaves you for whatever reason it's time to stop. It's not the place to be "wombling" around in the slightest, either go as fast as you possibly can at that moment or put the bike back in the van.
06-06-2017, 03:24 PM
Find Reply
RichR Offline

Threads: 0
Have to agree with Splashdown obviously, given his pedigree and Creg has a really good point about wanting to be there more than anything else in the world. Didn't get that from Guy and haven't all through the build up. Was wondering a while ago if he's actually loving the idea of being there, rather than the reality of it all. Honda really are in a bit of a fix at the moment it seems. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday not really working for them now. I really hope Guy is OK and follows his heart on this and doesn't try too hard for the sake of it. Honda will get over this for sure and I hope they come back with some pace next year.
06-06-2017, 05:13 PM
Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16
I bet Guy will enjoy himself a lot more on the Honda Six at Castle Combe next month !!
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
06-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Find Reply
BenjiesDad Offline

Threads: 10
Having just watched last nights programme,
Yes Guy was looking still a bit not him self, I think is the best way of putting it,
And having to do some PR which wasn't part of the deal that he signed up for, so I believe,

As for the rebuild of the bike to try and salvage something for Hondas honour come Friday,
Unless things have changed a hell of a lot, he has got just 2 laps to get some decent times in on what is Johns bike, As you have had to do a minimum number of laps on each bike,
And I think that based on the problems that are occurring with it,
The coc is going to have to be very convinced that all is right with it, before even letting him out,
I just hope that common sense prevails, all around,
As its only another 51 weeks ish until the next TT,
What you cant get done this year, can wait until next year, and better to be alive and enjoy it, Rather than being remembered for all the wrong reasons !

Got too many of those memories from my racing days,, Like a lot of you,
06-06-2017, 07:26 PM
Find Reply
BcakWeleher Offline
@markybiker

Threads: 3
(05-06-2017, 12:37 PM)badlyoverdrawnboy Wrote: Hi splashdown i bow to your superior experience and I accept that there have been riders who have crashed and then got a good result later , I'm not suggesting that one off should end a career but if you've baled out in one of the scary places and walked away there should be careful thought given to allowing you back out too soon, not just on medical grounds, particularly if you make a habit of it - Racers are very driven and selfish and sometimes need saving from themselves, I remember have a long conversation with Shhaun Harris a couple of years after his big crash and he was absolutely certain he was ready to return but in reality he was far from back to normal and the authorities probably correctly made sure he didn't come back (hope hes on the mend)  I hope Johnny Twelvetrees is strong enough to save any further embarassment and pull the plug now, also if Honda can't assure the scrutineers that they know what went wrong and definitely cured it they shouldn't be allowed out.

How is Shaun? Anyone know? Always loved him. Hope he is getting well again.
  Beer2  Triumph Sprint ST.  The Empire Strikes Back!!
07-06-2017, 08:02 AM
Website Find Reply
RedlineRick Offline
Cotton Top

Threads: 1
Sadly Shaun not well,

Shaun Harris battles to beat the odds in recovery after major crash
http://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/showthre...?tid=22835
"A few yrs ago they screwed up a perfectly good working website just because they want to be 'modern' and now we have a sluggish ugly problematic and feature lacking website. but hey, its modern..., old sites are always better".
07-06-2017, 10:28 AM
Find Reply
Rednine Offline

Threads: 5
The Honda problems aren't restricted to the current crop of worrying bike engine/mechanical failures. Just look at the calamitous Formula 1 engine blowups and mechanical failures. Something is seriously wrong in both Honda camps -bike and cars. Bike failures though can lead to far greater potentially dire consequences.

Smoke me a kipper...........................I'll be back for breakfast Icon_wink
07-06-2017, 11:18 AM
Find Reply
RedlineRick Offline
Cotton Top

Guy's got test tickles... he's out on the Fireblade for practice today.
"A few yrs ago they screwed up a perfectly good working website just because they want to be 'modern' and now we have a sluggish ugly problematic and feature lacking website. but hey, its modern..., old sites are always better".
07-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
Any update on Guy and the Blade after yesterday's practice?
08-06-2017, 12:48 PM
Find Reply
BenjiesDad Offline

Threads: 10
Just heard a short clip from this morning chatshow, with 12trees,
He said they put a different spec engine in his bike yesterday, or is that johns,,
And he was happier with it,
Havent seen any speeds though, with what happened yesterday in the practise,
Thoughts go out to all the Family's involved,
08-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Find Reply
TheGeneral Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
(05-06-2017, 06:45 PM)Splashdown Wrote: Re the comment I made re Guy's Mountain Course validity. I never said that he shouldn't ride, I am sure he has done sufficient racing miles.
However, I was given to understand that, after certain exceptions had been made over the last few years, the insurers had withdrawn the option of "Exceptions", and that everyone had to qualify for the Mountain Course licence in the approved manner.

For example, the requirement for this year's Classic TT/MGP being: Compete (and finish) in six separate road race events over a thirteen month period (1st June 2016 to 30th June 2017).  2016 ClassicTT/MGP Practice counts as one signature, and a Mountain Course race finish qualifies as another. Two races must be completed in the year of the event, i.e. this year.
In some instances a Saturday/Sunday race meeting counts as two signatures as long as there are two different permit numbers.

In my opinion, this requirement is too demanding for (say) Manx Grand Prix riders competing on a tight budget, however, when I discussed this with the ACU in my position as Riders Liaison Officer for the MGP, they indicated to me that it was the Insurers who were making the minimum requirement.

I had a similar decision to make with regard riding a bike that gained a reputation for unreliability, i.e. the Britten, when I rode it in 1994.
Poor Mark Farmer was killed on the bike in Thursday's practice, Robert Holden then pulled out stating that he did not feel comfortable riding the bike, leaving me to make a difficult decision. I raced the bike two days later, but it was a difficult decision. I felt ok on the bike, but it WAS ridiculously unreliable. However, I am sure that John Britten respected me for deciding to ride it, even though I broke down in both Formula One and Senior races. I would agree that not everyone agreed that I should ride it, but I made a decision and stuck to it.
If you asked my opinion on whether Guy should ride, I think he should (if fit), but I have a feeling that he won't. Definitely NOT an easy decision, but whatever he decides to do, I believe we should respect him.
Thanks for your input Nick, it's interesting to read where the rules and regs come from in a position like Guy's. I was surprised he got to race, only because I thought he'd not had enough signatures to get a licence for the TT what with a few incidents leading up to the event. What a lucky thing you were to ride that Britten. It's an incredible piece of kit. John Britten was a genius.
08-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
(08-06-2017, 12:55 PM)BenjiesDad Wrote: Just heard a short clip from this morning chatshow, with 12trees,
He said they put a different spec engine in his bike yesterday, or is that johns,,
And he was happier with it,  
Havent seen any speeds though, with what happened yesterday in the practise,
Thoughts go out to all the Family's involved,

Agree. Guy's time was very slow yesterday, so I can only assume he witnessed the accident. Sad day.
08-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Find Reply
Enral Offline
Just Getting Started

This would appear to be the case. I was following on ttlive, he clocked about 117 mph. The commentator said he was shaking his head as he returned into the padddock. Later on,  the Honda Twitter feed said this was because,    "He rode through the incident that caused the red flag, ..... ".
08-06-2017, 07:26 PM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
Guy was in the paddock today as was Mc G and the Honda team were preping his bike. I think by different spec engine they may meen last year's bike.
09-06-2017, 12:54 AM
Find Reply
Sussex Ninja Gal' Offline

Threads: 11
Guy's understandably decided to sit out the Senior today. The team are aiming to get the bike sorted for the Southern 100 next month and Guy is out on the Mugen in a wee bit for the TT Zero. I've been feeling uncannily concerned about Guy since J Mac's big off and I'm a lot happier that he won't be out there putting his neck on the line this afternoon. Here's to an enjoyable & safe ride in the electrickery class for Guy & the other competitors.
09-06-2017, 12:08 PM
Find Reply
civ Offline

Threads: 3
Guy Martin's words after the Zero race were interesting, commenting on Honda's senior withdrawal statement "what's the word for when you can't tell the truth?"!
09-06-2017, 02:14 PM
Find Reply