'Gutted' Hutchinson says 'I didn't stand a chance'
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
'Gutted' Hutchinson says 'I didn't stand a chance'
[Image: hutchysenior1.jpg]
Ian Hutchinson at Union Mills on the Tyco BMW shortly before his crash in the Senior TT.

Ian Hutchinson says a punctured front tyre was the cause of his crash in the Senior TT.

The Yorkshireman suffered a broken left femur in the incident at the 27th Milestone on the Mountain section as he disputed the lead of the race with Peter Hickman on lap two.

[Image: hutchytweet.jpg]

The Tyco BMW rider, who is bing treated in hospital in Liverpool, took to Twitter on Monday morning and said he ‘didn’t stand a chance’.

Hutchy tweeted: 

‘Thanks to @manxathlete for the footage showing punctured deformed front tyre. I didn’t stand a chance, same leg, in a bad way. I’m gutted’.

The 37-year-old won the Superbike and Superstock races to move onto 16 TT wins, making him the third most successful solo competitor ever at the event behind Ulsterman Joey Dunlop (26 wins) and John McGuinness (23 wins). Hutchinson’s win in the Superstock race was the Northern Ireland-based TAS Racing teams’s 18th success at the TT.

On Saturday night, Tyco BMW team manager Philip Neill said he was thankful Hutchinson would recover from his injuries.

[Image: hutchystockerwin.jpg]
Yorkshire rider Ian Hutchinson won the Superstock TT for the third year in a row.

“Unfortunately, the event finished on the downside for us with Hutchy's accident during the Senior race when battling for the lead,” said Neill.

“Thankfully, however, Ian will recover from his injuries and everyone involved with TAS Racing wish him a speedy recovery.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White
13-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
RE: 'Gutted' Hutchinson says 'I didn't stand a chance'
Was there any official release from the team regarding the front tyre?
I cant see how anyone given the severe pixilation of the photo can deduce that it was a front tyre issue
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
21-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

Threads: 38
A tweet June 13th by Craig@valentinoMossy: "So Dunlop have tested the hutchy tyre on another rim and it was fine. Wheel failure not tyre failure." Bob Collins write: "Just spoken with someone high up at Dunlop. The tyre was re fitted to another wheel and re inflated..The cause of Hutchy's crash at The TT last week was a broken or faulty fron t wheel..."
Don't be that optimistic! The light in the tunnel can be a train. Sad
21-06-2017, 05:01 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Or no fault with the original wheel/tyre combo as the wheel would have been damaged on impact.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
21-06-2017, 05:59 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
I have just returned from holiday and watched all the itv 4 recordings and to me Hutchy had a lot of near misses and seemed to be on the ragged edge with his riding. So isn`t it more likely to be rider error ?
(This post was last modified: 21-06-2017, 08:53 PM by Malcolm.)
21-06-2017, 07:44 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
He didn't look right coming down Bray Hill where the big change of direction on the descent unsettles some bikes, the bike's physics didn't look happy changing direction at all on some laps - was watching from the kerb cam garden, at QB even a couple of times he was a bit "arms n legs" - the footage at Ballaugh was hairy to say the very least as was backing too hard into into the Creg, also in the interviews he seemed down a little on quite a lot of things. My fairly good hands on/off racing experience over a few decades was telling me he had a bug up his **se about something he couldn't fix and was trying to make up for it elsewhere on the circuit and he didn't look like he was enjoying the whole thing which is critical, also without going into name dropping a top 10 rider who a couple of of our gang know well was telling us that there were delamination issues with a certain brand this year. Don't know whether there's any connection but Shoey's sad end of days at Sulby was down to a front tyre deflating.
21-06-2017, 08:59 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Another thing i've seen on road bikes is those easy access right angled tyre/wheel valves not seated properly after high speed use, the weight of the angled part moves the upright base of the valve with the centrifugal forces involved.
(This post was last modified: 21-06-2017, 10:09 PM by Alfie Noakes.)
21-06-2017, 10:03 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
(21-06-2017, 05:01 PM)SILJA Wrote: A tweet June 13th by Craig@valentinoMossy: "So Dunlop have tested the hutchy tyre on another rim and it was fine. Wheel failure not tyre failure." Bob Collins write: "Just spoken with someone high up at Dunlop. The tyre was re fitted to another wheel and re inflated..The cause of Hutchy's crash at The TT last week was a broken or faulty fron t wheel..."

just because they tested it on another rim dosnt mean it wasnt leaking from the bead on the original wheel
its possible that it lost a little preasure through a poor seal or the shear force put through them might have mooved the tyre enough to deflate via the beed
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
21-06-2017, 11:14 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(21-06-2017, 07:44 PM)eman1948 Wrote: I have just returned from holiday and watched all the itv 4 recordings and to me Hutchy had a lot of near misses and seemed to be on the ragged edge with his riding. So isn`t it more likely to be rider error ?

Quite!

21-06-2017, 11:32 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
Why has no one mentioned the thumb brake he clearly had it on as you can see from the on board footage and also from the helicopter footage he lost the back end first. if I am not mistaken the suspension unloads a little when you go through that corner.
22-06-2017, 01:33 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
I'll have to watch it again.  I thought he was un-sighted when he went down - behind the bank.  Couldn't really tell too much from the onboard but everything I saw looked like a low side which is usually the front (apologies for stating the obvious) - so I just assumed that's what it was.

I recall thinking (and posting) that Hutchy was looking unstable all week, particularly in the onboard footage and that he didn't seem very happy in most of the interviews.  I watched one of the preview shows this week and Phillip Neil made a point of saying how much the tyres were affecting their set up and then straight after Steve Plater said much the same. I probably wouldn't have noticed it normally but it seemed to resonate when I saw it this time.

I agree that its not clear from the photo that its a flat front - too grainy.

To be honest - given the pay check he probably gets (and would have continued to get) from Dunlop I'm surprised that he went public with it - even if it was the cause.
Warning Level 0% since 2006
(This post was last modified: 22-06-2017, 05:55 AM by Sam Pato.)
22-06-2017, 05:50 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

TBH, (not that he cares), but I have not been impressed with the way he has conducted himself this year ( or last year for that matter)

22-06-2017, 08:19 AM
Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

Threads: 2
I had noticed that he was having a few too many 'moments' during the week and obviously I wondered about the tyre change. To me it does look like the tyre has gone down but once the wheel is damaged no tyre company will acknowledge liability. In all the years i've been involved in motorsport, including an incident I had myself, tyre companies always deny responsibility, the only exceptions to this is where multiple competitors suffer similar failures at the same meeting and are caught on camera, its happened in Moto GP and F1 in the past, I remember F1 having to impose a speed limit in America about 10 years ago because they were so nervous about being sued in the event of an incident.

PS I think the photo was originally tweeted by the snapper, and hutchy responded by calling it a puncture, which absolves him of 'pilot error' without blaming the tyre so he doesn't fall out with Dunlop - normally high speed deflations due to foreign bodies leave evidence, not sure about leaking through the bead though always thought that would be fairly slow and give some warning
(This post was last modified: 22-06-2017, 09:32 AM by badlyoverdrawnboy.)
22-06-2017, 09:20 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

If Dunlop are to be believed and they put the tyre on another wheel and it was fine, then someone is telling porkys

22-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

Threads: 38
Please note that the quote I published is just a quote from Twitter and nothing else. Not my words. Initially I put a link to that quote for you all to examine. Now that link is deleted. But as usual what's written of an unknown source at the net should tell the same facts from two different sources independent of each others. At the tweet there are two different sources but that's not enough as facts in this case.
Don't be that optimistic! The light in the tunnel can be a train. Sad
22-06-2017, 10:58 AM
Website Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
The tweet from Hutchy says "Thanks to @manxathlete for the footage ...". The word footage to me suggests that this is a (probably zoomed in) still from a video which would explain the grainy nature. If so then presumably there is a sequence which might have helped in determining what happened, or narrowing down the possibilities at least.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
22-06-2017, 12:31 PM
Find Reply