Lintin takes stunning Ulster GP win and new lap record
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Lintin takes stunning Ulster GP win and new lap record
[Image: rcdafabethdr.jpg]

Ivan Lintin and the Dafabet Devitt Racing team were back in road racing action at the weekend with the International Ulster Grand Prix taking place on the high-speed Dundrod circuit and it proved to be a highly successful meeting with a series of high class results including yet another race win in the Supertwin class.

Victory came in an extremely hard fought manner as the Bardney rider went head to head with Dan Cooper, the duo smashing the lap record. There was never more than a second between the pair but although Ivan led for the first four laps, with a new lap record of 120.402mph, Cooper grabbed the lead at Tournagrough on the final lap.

It looked like Ivan would have to settle for second, especially as an overtaking attempt at the Flowbog Crossroads didn’t come off but he got superb drive around the final corner and edged out his fellow Kawasaki mounted rival by just 0.024s!

His busy race programme started with Thursday’s Dundrod 150 Superbike race where a good start saw him complete the first lap of the 7.4-mile circuit in twelfth place and for the entire six laps, he was part of a thrilling six-rider battle for tenth. Positions changed hands frequently and with a fastest lap of 128.783mph, he finished the race in a solid 13th place on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.

Unfortunately, delays meant the five-lap Supertwin race was cancelled and so his next outing came in Saturday’s Ulster GP Superstock race, held over six laps. After placing 11th at the end of the first lap, he moved up into the top ten a lap later and with two laps to go, he’d moved up further to eighth. Lapping at close to 129mph once more, he duly held onto the position to secure a superb result.

Next up was the opening Supersport race and although he had a sluggish start, dropping back to 20th, he moved steadily forward and aided by his fastest ever lap of Dundrod on a 600cc machine, 125.669mph, he took a solid 14th after six highly competitive laps. With little respite for Ivan or the team, the feature 7-lap Superbike race immediately followed and after a good battle all race with Dan Cooper and Michael Sweeney, he took a strong 12th place with a best lap of 129.605mph.

After taking the aforementioned victory in the Supertwins, Ivan wrapped up his meeting with the second Superbike race and again he secured a top ten finish, a fastest lap of 129.604mph helping him take a fine ninth place.

[Image: ivanlintinstwin-win.jpg]
The happy team celebrate the Supertwin win.

Ivan Lintin: 

“It’s been a fantastic meeting and I’ve really enjoyed the week, the obvious highlight being the win in the Supertwins race. I knew it was going to be tough as it’s become a really competitive class and Dan was with me throughout. When he came by me, I thought I could have a go back at the Flowbog or Quarry Bends but I lost the front a couple of times and thought that was it.”

“I got the power on through Dawson’s as soon as I could though and managed to get the win with the lap record being a bonus. I had good rides in all of the races and although I didn’t crack the 130mph barrier this year, I had some good results on the big bike and we made good progress all week whilst I also set my quickest ever lap on a 600 so, all in all, it’s been a highly successful meeting.”

Ben Constable, Team Co-owner: 

“It’s been a brilliant meeting and we’re delighted with the results especially the Supertwin race. It was one of Ivan’s hardest fought wins in the class not just during the race but before it also as another rider collided with him on the warm-up lap damaging his hand and also the bike slightly. He regrouped though and it’s probably the best I’ve seen Ivan ride on the Twin so the win and the lap record were simply superb.”

“It’s been an up and down season so to come here and have strong results on both the big bike and 600 as well is very pleasing indeed. The whole team have worked really well all week and the boys did a mega job with the bikes so we’re looking forward now to the Scarborough Gold Cup and Macau Grand Prix and finishing the season strongly.”

Ivan’s next outing will see him contest the Classic TT Races whilst the team will next be in action at the International Gold Cup at Oliver’s Mount, Scarborough on September 23-24.

Picture by Pacemaker Press International

13-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Website Find Reply