Ballymoney rider Robinson delighted to emulate dad at Dundrod
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Ballymoney rider Robinson delighted to emulate dad at Dundrod
[Image: paulrobinsonwin.jpg]
Family ties: Paul Robinson with his son Max celebrates his win at the Ulster Grand Prix

With the Superbike, Superstock and Supersport race wins going to Englishmen - Peter Hickman and Dean Harrison - and New Zealander Bruce Anstey, it was left to Paul Robinson and Davy Morgan to uphold local honour in the Ultra Lightweight and Lightweight outings at the MCE Ulster Grand Prix.

For Ballymoney rider Robinson, it was his first UGP victory and came 42 years after his father Mervyn 'Robbo' Robinson rode a Yamsel to his only UGP success in 1975.

Mervyn tragically lost his life in an accident at Mathers Cross during the 1980 North West 200.

Paul, riding the CB Racing 250cc Honda Moto3 machine, fought off the determined challenge of Christian Elkin on the Bob Wylie 250cc Honda Moto3, with less than a quarter of a second separating them at the chequered flag after five hard-fought laps.

Now on holiday in Spain after his exertions, Paul said: 

"This was an important win for me, it was one of the last boxes I had to tick before thinking about retirement.

"I managed to win the final 125cc race at the North West 200 in 2010, somewhere my father didn't win, but this win is massively satisfying as he had won a UGP around Dundrod in 1975.

"He had also won at the Killinchy 150 the same year, and I won Thursday's Dundrod 150 Ultra Lightweight race, meaning I have equalled his achievement around the Dundrod Circuit - two wins in the same year. In fact, an old sponsor of his, Hugh O'Kane, sent me a text on Saturday to tell me this.

"I don't think I've enjoyed a race as much for a long time. Christian and myself only swapped places once on the last lap while in Thursday's race we passed each other four or five times.

"I had said to Davy (Louden) if I want to do what my father did I would have to ride as hard around Dundrod as I ever had, and that proved to be right with new lap records in both races. The only box left to tick? I've never won an Irish Road Race Championship like him."

In the concurrently run Lightweight race on Saturday, the hot favourite was Anstey, who had won the Dundrod 150 equivalent, but unfortunately his Padgetts Honda suffered mechanical gremlins.

Neil Kernohan took over in front from Morgan, and when the Gracehill rider was forced to retire on lap three, Morgan was there to guide his Supporters Club 250cc Honda to victory, four and a half seconds clear of Welshman Paul Owen, also 250cc Honda mounted.

This made it a second UGP success for Morgan, who won the same 250cc race in 2012.

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]
Roy Harris
15-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Website Find Reply