COSTELLO CLAIMS TOP TEN FINISH AT WORLD'S FASTEST ROAD RACE
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
COSTELLO CLAIMS TOP TEN FINISH AT WORLD'S FASTEST ROAD RACE
[Image: maria1.jpg]
Image courtesy Paul Woodlock

Maria Costello MBE made a sensational return to road racing at the MCE Ulster Grand Prix by claiming a top 10 finish in the ultra-competitive Supertwin class.

The Northamptonshire racer, who is also racing in the Hyundai Heavy Industries British Sidecar Championship this season, arrived at the fast Dundrod circuit in confident mood following a brace of podium finishes at Thruxton in her JG Speedfit/Cool Milk F2 sidecar.

Costello, back onboard her familiar NGK Spark Plugs Kawasaki ER6 ‘Pizza Bike’, took to the 7.4 mile public road circuit in Dundrod for Wednesday’s qualifying session and immediately found the pace, taking 13th place on the grid with an average of 110.789mph on her penultimate lap of the session.

Thursday’s Dundrod 150 Supertwin race was abandoned, so it was to be Saturday’s final race, the Ulster Grand Prix Maxwell Freight Services Supertwin race, which would see Costello take to the track again in ideal conditions.

Maria had a strong start with the first wave of riders and recorded a stunning sub four minute opening lap (110.053mph) to cross the line in 9th position. A race-long battle with French racer Xavier Denis then ensued and Costello’s consistency in lap times over the remaining 4 laps impressed greatly. Lap after lap Maria went marginally quicker, rattling off the next 3 laps within 3-tenths of a second of each other and saving the best until last of 3m53.138s (114.284mph). Despite this personal best, the veteran road racer just failed to pip Denis to the line and had to settle for 10th spot, just 0.26 of a second behind the fast Frenchman.

[Image: maria2.jpg]
Image courtesy AB Photography

A delighted Costello said: 

“I’m thrilled with tenth position in what is an incredibly competitive class and even happier with taking 6 seconds off my PB. We didn’t get much track-time in the run up to today’s race, so I have to say a big thank you to my mechanic Andy Daley and Mark from Moto Shox for the great prep and set up. The bike didn’t put a foot wrong on the Metzeler tyres. I’m so pleased, it’s the perfect warm up for the Classic TT.

“Thanks to all my sponsors, and of course the race organisers, marshals, medics and fans who make this meeting happen. Special thanks go to Gerard, Trish and Louise, for their amazing hospitality. I’m just so sorry that the very talented Jamie Hodson paid the ultimate price. My condolences go out to Jim, Rob and all his family and friends. Thoughts also go to Luppy and Stephen – keep fighting!”

Maria stays on two wheels for her next event as she heads back to the Isle of Man for the Classic TT - the scene of her podium last year - where she will again be competing on the beautiful Paton for the Beugger Racing Team from Switzerland.

To find out more about Maria Costello and her upcoming events, please visit her website: http://www.costelloracing.com

2017 Sponsors: NGK Spark Plugs, AEJ Facilities Management by Design, Bike Shed, Rock Oil, Kawasaki UK LTD, Metzeler, Jap4Performance, Hel Performance, Arai, Knox, Mac Tools, Nova Racing, CPL Print Ltd, Premier Bodyworks, Radicool, EBC Brakes, Towergate Insurance, Gear Leathers, Hello Market, Signs2WrapsIsle of Man TT Breaks, GBRacing, Racing Batteries, Racebikebitz, Samco hoses, Pipercross, Progrips, Pro-Bolt, Promach, APC Wet Paint Ltd, Christian Baker, DnG, Trilogy Gyms, Snoozebox, Wollaston Therapy Centre, Paul Garner Designs, Sparkes Management Support, Translogic Systems Ltd, Wiz knee sliders, Stomp Grip, SKINS, SPORTTAPE.

15-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Website Find Reply