Stella just wanted to say "thanks"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stella just wanted to say "thanks"
Hi all just wanted to say "thanks" for all your text messages, e mails, cards and flowers ! After my recent fall at Knockhill resulting in a dislocated ankle, broken tibula and fibula.Still smiling and it could only have happened to me really. Lots of stories circulating but wot really happened was that we were waiting on the supersport race starting and just as the race started, it started to rain after being really nice. I was a bit concerned for the guys out there as of course everyone was on slick tyres.So counts them round after the bikes appeared from behind the hill coming towards the hairpin.Our Bryan was 13th (lucky white heather i hear you all say) from the 30 starters when he went off into the gravel probably due to the by now damp conditions. So i set off to meet him knowing that he was fine but expecting him to be disapointed. What i didn`t know was that it wasn`t Bryan that i saw but another racer with the same colour scheme (different colours for this year, blue and silver instead of the yellow and black from last season) and as i set off to meet him Bryan "highsided" coming out of the hairpin rather spectaculary according to everyone that saw it. He was unhurt but the race was stopped due to the rain. Bryan thenm set off back to the garage as his handlebar had snapped off to meet us all at the garage when he got there he wondered where we all were ? Meantime as i made my way down to the hairpin i slipped in the mud, tried to regain my balance and my dignity only to find myself sitting in the mud amongst a few hundred spectators with my what i immediatly realised was a broken and dislocated ankle !!
The rest is a bit of a blur to be truthfull but two really nice spectators came to my rescue. The paramedics arrived and the paramedic reckoned he knew me ? yes you do i said, you looked after my husband this time last year when he had a stroke at the racing !! Alex, Bryan and Grant had found me by this time and the nice paramedic was trying to keep Grant occupied by asking him to hold things for him while he dealt with his mum, next thing i hear is someone saying "the wee boy has fainted" Please don`t let it be mine i thought.....to late, me and grant went into the back of the ambulance, Alex in the front and Bryan off to see if he could fix his bike for the second race !!
Big thanks to the medical facilites at Knockhill which as always were excillent. An orthopedic surgeon was working that day fixed me up 90% the rest was done at the hospital. Ouch, ouch and more ouches !!
To cut a long story short i got out of hospital the following wednesday afternoon complete with pinned ankle and crutches. Still smiling and hoping to get to East Fortune this weekend.
cheers,
Stella
PS. Just incase you were wondering Bryan got out for the second race but had to pull in with mechanical problems !
13-04-2004, 03:17 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Stella just wanted to say "thanks"
Stella !

Great to see you've limped your way back to the computer :-))

I'm sitting here chuckling away to myself (although I really shouldn't) at your description of what happened it sounds like something out of "carry on" film ..... "Carry on Stella" ?

Anyway I can sympathise with you having broken my own ankle at the age of 18 many,many moons ago and my Tibula & Fibula just 6 years ago.. bl**dy motorbikes eh ?

Great to hear you are ok though and I'm glad to hear that it wasn't the drink after all that caused it. LOL !

So I guess that Grant's won't be going for a career as a paramedic then ! ;-)

13-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cheers Guy, yes i am still laughing about it all too, to be honest ! That was the abridged version as i thought i`de better not mention that i ended up in a ward with 6 lovely ladies and before i arrived the youngest was 84 !!! but thats another story. On my release from the hospital i smiled all the 40 miles home and haven`t stopped since.
Stella :0)
13-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Glad to see you back Stella but please settle an argument, did you stay in our HOTEL last year was it Easter or May Day?
13-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can`t quite remember will ask Alex when he gets home ? Not sure what we will make this year as all the Scottish roadrace meetings clash with the BSB Superbike meetings from round 4 !! We are hoping to get to Croft as East Fortune will have to change the dates due the marshells all working at Croft. Really disaponted as we love coming down to Oulton Park.Gonna have to rig up Sky from the caravan i think !!!
cheers
Stella x
13-04-2004, 04:44 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

HI Stella
Glad to hear you're out and about.
Yes the story did sound like a 'Carry on' LOL.
If you and your family got together and wrote
a book it would certainly be a good read !
Off course there would be sad and happy chapters
but that's life. And you Campbells certainly
keep your chins up through thick and thin.
All the best for the rest of the season,
Bless you All

Gail
13-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dates stand Stella.

Glad to 'see' you are back! got the coloured pens ready to decorate the stooky!

Bryan is on row 3 (of 7). Bigger meeting than July last year.

Take care, hope to see you over the weekend

Diana
13-04-2004, 07:26 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

We'll have to get you one of those golf buggies like the Queen Mum used to use!! You can terrorise the paddock area!
13-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Heaven Forbid ! it was bad enough when Bryan came to visit me and caught me mobilising with the physios using a zimmer !!!!!
cheers
Stella ;0)
13-04-2004, 08:03 PM