Team ILR - Gold Cup Report
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Team ILR - Gold Cup Report
[Image: teamILRlogo.jpg]

Team ILR owner/manager Ian Lougher added to his record tally of Oliver's Mount wins at the weekend when he came away from the Steve Henshaw International Gold Cup meeting with two wins in both Ultra-Lightweight races, however the weekend was marred by two serious incidents on Sunday which resulted in the rest of the meeting being abandoned.

The road racing legend was joined at the North Yorkshire pure roads circuit by his young protégé and rising star Joey Thompson, who earlier in the week had made the surprise decision to race at the event despite only being released from hospital on Tuesday following his big crash at Oulton Park last Sunday.

Joey had another crash in qualifying on Saturday and a retirement from the Lightweight/Ultra Lightweight race when dicing for the lead did nothing for his healing process and seemed to have put paid to his chances of winning the Lightweight 250cc Championship.

However a retirement from Sunday's second race by nearest challenger Alistair Haworth handed Joey the title without him turning another wheel.

Ian Lougher meanwhile has seen it all before and he rode steady in both the Stu Reed/Phil Mellor Trophy races to finish 3rd and 2nd overall respectively in both races to be first rider home by a comfortable margin in the Ultra-Lightweight class and take his Oliver's Mount race win tally to an incredible 140.

[Image: lougher&thomsonatgoldcup1.jpg]
Ian Lougher and Joey Thompson at Oliver's Mount, Scarborough.
Photo:Team ILR

Team ILR owner/manager Ian Lougher:

"With Joey now getting the nickname 'the yorkie bar kid' coming back from his massive crash at Oulton Park just 5 days before where his bike was written off, and only being able to walk properly on Wednesday, it was a case of seeing if he would be able to ride at all at the Gold Cup meeting.

Things didn't get off to a great start either when on Saturday he ran wide at Memorial and crashed his dad's 250 Yamaha in qualifying, (he only needed 2 points to clinch the Auto 66 Junior Championship!!!!) once that was repaired the bike seized a piston in the race putting him out of the race.

Joey showed his maturity and resilience though to bounce back with fine 5th place finishes on the 600, and equalled his best ever lap around Oliver's Mount. This kid is quite remarkable.

It was a very difficult and trying time for the Auto 66 club over the weekend. The marshals deserve a medal for the job they do, so from all at Team ILR our best wishes go out to everyone who was involved in any incidents at the Scarborough Gold Cup meeting."

Joey Thompson:

"The Gold Cup was a tough one for me and the team but especially with my fitness after just being released from hospital 3 days before.

I struggled with another crash on the 250 which meant the 250 had to be in the van for the weekend. I had 3 5th places on the Thompson's / ILR Supersport bike and also on the Paul Jinks Trickbits Suzuki SV650 which was great.

I also managed to wrap up the Lightweight championship while sat watching the race.

Once again I would like to thank everyone for giving me this opportunity, my dad, Team ILR, Trickbits and all my personal sponsors and supporters.

It's a shame we couldn't end the season on a high after such a great season, but we will make our strong return in 2018!!!

Peace out! #74."

[Image: TeamILRatGoldCup.jpg]
27-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Website Find Reply