Vote for Jonathan Rea - Sports Personality of the Year
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Vote for Jonathan Rea - Sports Personality of the Year
(14-12-2017, 09:53 PM)scaramanga Wrote: no bike racer gonna win that in this country at the moment

I'm not so sure. There are no real stand out candidates from 'mainstream' sports on the shortlist so if the motorcycle community all vote it could make a difference.

There is usually a "big name" person from a 'mainstream' sport that has done something notable, but this year not so with the possible exception of Lewis Hamilton. The disability sports representation are largely PC nominations - whilst recognising their courage and commitment the general public do not tend to view them as "sports stars" and so they do not gather huge votes. In my mind there are only 5 in with a real shout - Farah, Froome, Joshua, Rea and Hamilton.

Boxing fans tend to support nominations from their sport, as do F1. I would expect motorcycling fans to do the same and think these will be the top 3. Froome's recent publicity will probably count against him but Farah is a dark horse possibly getting votes due to his retirement (and career achievement) rather than what he's done this year.

I could, of course, be completely wrong!

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
15-12-2017, 04:09 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Vote for Jonathan Rea - Sports Personality of the Year - by HammerHead - 15-12-2017, 04:09 PM