I.O.M. Short Circuit??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I.O.M. Short Circuit??
Many years ago at least 25 I remember a suggestion that ground for a short circuit would be made available where the Belfast City Airport is situated today. Sadly there was a price to be paid the cancellation of ALL road races. The motorcycling fraternity would not accept this deal.

When I hear of unknown speculators I wonder who they are?!!!

Many years ago I remember Sir Robin Day on TV telling of an invitation to head a committee to investigate the bad side effects of the contraceptive pill. He inquired who was providing the finance behind this idea and was told 'An anonymous rich old lady had donated money to this cause' Before acepting this chairmanship he set his researchers on the task and they discovered that the 'rich old lady' was in fact the manufacturer of a rival mechanical contraceptive device!!!

If this is a genuine deal re a short circuit surely the backers should declare themselves?

Big D.

29-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: I.O.M. Shorter Circuit??
You could visit <A HREF="http://www.bbhmg.com/sckre.htm">www.bbhmg.com/sckre.htm</A> and comment...please ??

There will never be a replacement for the "Mountain Circuit" but would a second large circuit be viable and acceptable ?
30-04-2004, 08:04 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

In my opinion it has to be, i have thought about this for some time. Douglas is very busy, large volumes of traffic, closed roads cause chaos and resentment especially the non-motor cycling fraternity that have moved to The Island. Using some of the existing course i.e. the northern end turn right at Brandywell and re-join at Barregarrow or even more interestingly at Cronk-y-voddy yes alterations will have to be made but i think for the tt to survive something like this is necessary. Long live the TT its only 4 weeks now. Signing off now going to Scarborough for week-end.
30-04-2004, 08:38 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have just received my copy of "Motorcycle Racer"....

In the section "Races you must attend before you die", it gives rather a gloomy appraisal of this years TT where perhaps it should be supporting it ??

I quote : "...in recent times, the TT has suffered at the hands of poor organisation and a blind-sighted view of safety.

The racings future looks uncertain.........witness the finest road race on the planet while it's still around..." unquote.

It also sees no future for WSB.

Dear me ...........

30-04-2004, 09:00 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

i think when you said that the people who have come over to live there don't like it hit the nail on the head. how long have the races been going. its like going to live near an airport then complaining about the noise
30-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

My favourite is where people go and live in the country and complain about a cocks crow!!

Mike
30-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Both MH and MV's above posts are exactly my view too. You can add moving to live next to a motorway and only then complaining.

I was born in a small village where motor cycling was quite a big thing, between the wars. When the M3 motorway by-passed the village, it went to sleep, pubs became antique shops and the "Do-Gooders" moved in. We lost our famous Scramble course at Hazeley Heath.
(Ian may rememeber that place).
01-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: I.O.M. REMEMBER BELMONT PARK ?
oooh, aaar, I do that !!!!...and the situation has been repeated nationwide...Who now remembers BELMONT PARK in Durham, a super scrambles course which attracted huge crowds when ar were a lad..
Jeff Smith, Harry Wood and other famous names of that era rode there on numerous occasions and it was really a supreme venue...

Then someone of suspect "sound mind and body" slapped a housing estate fairly nearby.

Then some "immigrants to the housing estate" who complained caused the closing of the race course because they could hear motorbikes in their back gardens!!
Well, one could only hear the bikes if the wind blew the sound in that direction!
Surprisingly the shops in the area made a major petition to KEEP the races...

They made so much money out of the fans !

Mmmmm..Isn't this STILL happening ??
Where have I heard it recently ?

So who remembers Belmont Park then ??
01-05-2004, 05:32 PM