Where's the fun and excitement?
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
Where's the fun and excitement?
Is it just me or does anyone else think the road racing scene is a bit flat at the minute?
23-04-2018, 11:08 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 400
RE: Where's the fun and excitement?
I don't think things have been going that well this year, so far at least. News of Hutchy & Bruce probably not racing, or JM130, Scarboro' being cancelled too, not a good start.
On the plus side it's Cookstown this weekend, Tandragee the weekend after, then NW200, then TT in a few weeks, MD is racing, Hicky, James Hillier, Dan Kneen etc. etc. etc.
Basically, what I'm trying to say is, it's about to kick off!  Icon_biggrin
24-04-2018, 07:11 AM
Website Find Reply
boon345 Offline

Threads: 15
got to agree 4 weeks to go ,where is all the chat and banter
24-04-2018, 09:56 AM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 31
Chat & Banter

Chat & Banter

Chat & Banter

Chat & Banter

Sorry, couldn't resist!

For me, this winter seems to have been a long one, so biking in general has been in short supply. I'm not too worried about riding in the cold/wet but they grit the roads near me regularly & I don't want salt on the bikes!

Added to this is the arthritis in my fingers means that tinkering in the garage is limited when it's cold

That said, just over 4 weeks to go for the 2nd greatest motorcycle event in the World (1st is Classic TT/MGP IMHO)

See you there
24-04-2018, 11:23 AM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Threads: 13
Just got to look on the bright side. 

[Image: img098.jpg] 

kilbil
24-04-2018, 11:44 AM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
For me it's no different as I don't tend to get excited until May after we've got a couple of road races out of the way.
25-04-2018, 09:04 AM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

I tend to put my riders in their boxes after the nw200 has taken its toll.
25-04-2018, 09:46 AM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 71
For me it's the northwest 200 that kicks off my season it gets me in the mood for the TT.
25-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
I think its been flat too.  But then the message boards haven't been very lively for quite a few years now.  I sometimes wonder where everyone went - Facecloth I'm assuming (which I refuse to sign up to).

Given our apparent demographic I thought the passing of Ivan Mauger last week might have raised some interest - but nothing appeared.

Do we just get too much instant information that we don't feel the need to gossip and speculate anymore because we can just look up our answers?

Are we just lacking a decent quota of characters and young thrusters?  Seems like it.

Cheers

Sam
Warning Level 0% since 2006
25-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

I'm totally blaming old git style the damp/grey/mizzle/mildly average weather, it feels like it's been October since well last October .... being serious JM and Hutchy possibly not racing isn't good news at all given what they've been through just to get back to walking again but crashes and consequences etc are all part of the sport and that scenario will give some new faces a chance of improving along with the increased excitement/commitment/pressure that moving up the results brings for the other riders/families/crews - they'd all wish JM and Hutchy weren't injured but i'd bet they are already thinking in strictly racing terms where they might finish in the race if JM/Hutchy aren't on the grid, the opportunity might be there but it will still need taking.
25-04-2018, 12:28 PM
Find Reply
laverda77 Offline

Threads: 9
Come on guys Cheer up! Much of the "banter" on the old site was rubbish anyway,Shame about JM 130,Hutchy,and hopefully Bruce can get on top of this setback,But the racing will take care of itself.I guess a lot of folks go to "Facelift"which I don't. I get excited after Xmas,I save my left over Manx notes in a ceramic Helmet/piggy bank,and put £1 coins in it all year,checked yesterday, nearly£800,Next is checking camping gear,This is my 40th TT,and in spite of arthritic elbows,Cant wait.As the song said,"Reasons to be cheerfull"...here's a few,Sidecars,Bray Hill,Church Hall Food,Okells Ales,New Bushys site,Kippers,Port Erin in the Sun,Finding a new Viewing spot.what yours?
25-04-2018, 03:01 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

@ Laverda77 - Last year watched from a garden/drive between bottom of Bray Hill and Ago's for the first time .... very very exciting to say the least.
25-04-2018, 04:42 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

(25-04-2018, 03:01 PM)laverda77 Wrote: ...here's a few,Sidecars,Bray Hill,Church Hall Food,Okells Ales,New Bushys site,Kippers,Port Erin in the Sun,Finding a new Viewing spot.what yours?

Over 40 years ago it was chasing women, drinking beer (Castletown bitter) and partying

Now I'm older, but no wiser, it's blasting around the circuit, watching the racing (still spent more race days at the bungalow than anywhere else put together), coffee & cake at the calf, coffee & bread pudding at Laxey beach, full English breakfasts, fish & chips, fine wine with food, unicycling along Douglas prom & Peel (may take the longboard this year), meeting friends (old & New), etc.

In those 42 years, there have been many changes, some good, some bad, but that's the way of the world. Funny how many people moan about the Steam Packet, but in days past, we used to queue in the rain to go in the corrugated shed to have our tanks pumped out and then watch our pride & joy of a bike being craned on the little boats that braved the Irish sea.

Ah nostalgia, it's not as good as it used to be !!!

With just over 4 weeks to go, I can't wait and I hope everyone has a brilliant & safe time - bring it on
25-04-2018, 04:56 PM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

(25-04-2018, 03:01 PM)laverda77 Wrote: Come on guys Cheer up! Much of the "banter" on the old site was rubbish anyway,Shame about JM 130,Hutchy,and hopefully Bruce can get on top of this setback,But the racing will take care of itself.I guess a lot of folks go to "Facelift"which I don't. I get excited after Xmas,I save my left over Manx notes in a ceramic Helmet/piggy bank,and put £1 coins in it all year,checked yesterday, nearly£800,Next is checking camping gear,This is my 40th TT,and in spite of arthritic elbows,Cant wait.As the song said,"Reasons to be cheerfull"...here's a few,Sidecars,Bray Hill,Church Hall Food,Okells Ales,New Bushys site,Kippers,Port Erin in the Sun,Finding a new Viewing spot.what yours?

I always spend at least one day on the mountain at the double left called the 32nd/stone breakers (moderns name Dukes). Last year found a great way of getting there. From Douglas you  turn right at the Creg  then turn 2nd left and follow the road down and up a steep valley untill you come to a mountain trail. The trail is pretty steep and the walk quiet a trek but it is worth it because it gives you access to the 32nd via windy corner.

[Image: DSCF1682.jpg]

The view from the 32nd looking toward Brndywell.

[Image: DSCF1592.jpg]

The view Windy direction, with Keppel Gate in the distance.

[Image: DSCF1585.jpg]

Great spot. Once saw Hailwood there on a RG500 i 

kilbil
26-04-2018, 01:50 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

There's also a trail that runs from Windy Corner down through to the Laxey road, from Windy the first bit is quite tame but on a road bike(oops) it gets a bit silly(yeah me) the further you get down it, bike with lots of ground clearance advised or walk it.
26-04-2018, 08:35 AM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

[Image: DSCF5736.jpg]

kilbil
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2018, 07:43 AM by Malcolm.)
01-05-2018, 01:08 AM
Find Reply
BrianW Offline

Threads: 1
Did the windy corner to Laxey road on an XS750 in 1981, a bloke told us about it but omitted the bit about it suiting a trials bike not a 320lb tourer !!
01-05-2018, 03:49 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Anyone know if there is anywhere to park within a couple of miles & then walk/unicycle from there?

Thanks
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2018, 08:46 PM by Nasher.)
01-05-2018, 05:14 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Bravo Brian .. I started at Windy and it looked fairly reasonable to start with then I soon realised a TL1000S wasn't the bike to be "riding" down that track haha.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2018, 06:57 PM by Malcolm.)
01-05-2018, 05:27 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
I've been riding that track for over 50 years. The most difficult ascent was on a R1150 RT. When I arrived at Windy, some spectators doubted that I had ridden all the way two up, until a lad on a KTM said that he had passed us at the bottom.
However, I agree a TL1000S would be quite difficult.
You DO need a bit of off road experience to ride it without getting into bother. Happy days!
01-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Find Reply