McGahan takes long way to KDM Hire Cookstown 100
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
McGahan takes long way to KDM Hire Cookstown 100
[Image: mcgahancookstown1.jpg]

Following the travelling exploits of our two French friends, one rider, who may live in the Isle of Man, but has had to travel a lot in order to compete at the 2018 KDM Hire Cookstown 100.

Chris McGahan, a former sidecar passenger to Peter Kurowski, but now better known for his classic racing exploits will travel through FIVE countries in order to be on the grid this weekend!

With original plans failing to materialize, Chris had to call up on his close friends and sponsors again, Here Chris takes up the story;

“The 350 Hales Honda on which I have won 3 Classic Manx Grand Prix and many other road races, was originally owned by Tony and Suzi Hales,who were the best sponsors any rider could wish for, they sold the bike to Paul van den Berg ,a Mushroom farmer from Boekel in Holland.  Paul and his wife Mika have asked me to continue racing the bike for which I am most grateful.

The 500cc Davies Honda that I am riding in the Forgotten Era class is a 4 cylinder Honda engine in a Davis Motorsport frame.

The bike is owned by Maurice and Anne Hughes from Scotland. Maurice is originally from Northern Ireland but now resides near Falkirk in Scotland he is also a former road racer.

In order to compete at Cookstown (and Tandragee ) I have driven from the Isle of Man through England and across France Belgium and into Holland to collect the 350 Hales Honda then up to Croft to pick up the 500 and back to the Isle of Man!

For the KDM Hire Cookstown 100, I will be leaving the Isle of Man to morrow (Thursday) morning on the ferry to Heysham,. Then the long drive to Cairnryan ,where I catch the ferry for Belfast.

All being well, i should arrive to morrow  (Thursday) evening with, I will stay the night with close friends Sammy and Gillian Crossett at their home in Glengormley.

It will be an early start on Friday morning,where we will then head to Cookstown to meet up with fellow competitors in the race paddock.

After racing, I will leave Cookstown and drive to Belfast Airport leaving my van at Stephen Beattie's secure parking. Fly to Liverpool then to Isle of Man so I can work Sunday to Thursday. Friday morning fly to Liverpool and then to Belfast pick up the van and go to Tandragee for Friday and Saturday. Ferry back to Cairnryan on Saturday night drive to Heysham for the midday boat back to Isle of Man hopefully into The Whitehouse pub in Peel for a well earned pint.

I love my racing, and everyone connected with the sport, I must add, that I have great support from Rock Oil, Kabuto Helmets and my long time personal sponsor Elsan who are the world leaders in chemical sanitation”

[Image: cookstownlogosmall.jpg]
27-04-2018, 10:36 AM
Website Find Reply
BenjiesDad Offline

Threads: 10
RE: McGahan takes long way to KDM Hire Cookstown 100
That's racing for you at its best,
Summed up by Chris !
Have a safe season Chris, would have liked to be over at Billown in a few weeks time, but it aint going to happen,
27-04-2018, 08:13 PM
Find Reply