Last year for Manx Radio TT?
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Last year for Manx Radio TT?
[Image: manxradiogeneral.jpg]

Radio contract could go out to tender

This could be the last year Manx Radio TT provides commentary and an event station for the Isle of Man TT races.

The news emerged from the sitting of the public service broadcasting committee held on Wednesday.

Manx Radio Managing Director Anthony Pugh told the hearing that protracted negotiations have taken place with the Department for Enterprise over the last year.

Mr Pugh says the station wanted a longer-term contract but were offered only a one year term:-

[Image: listenhere.jpg]

[Image: manxradiologo.jpg]
03-05-2018, 04:09 PM
Website Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
RE: Last year for Manx Radio TT?
Carnt belive they would do away with Radio TT. It's a big part of the atmosphere. Radio is turned on soon as I get up. And how would we no where the riders shop with out it Huh
03-05-2018, 09:03 PM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 71
Why break something that's not broken just get it signed up!
04-05-2018, 06:24 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
Not more out-to-tender nonsense surely!!!

Surely that lesson has been learned already.
Warning Level 0% since 2006
04-05-2018, 07:25 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Totally agree!! Manx Radio have done a fantastic job since day one.
04-05-2018, 09:49 AM
Find Reply
veefour Online

Threads: 16
For those like me who are unable to make it across anymore, coupled with the live internet it's a godsend. One of the highlights of the year. This is bad news indeed !!
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
04-05-2018, 10:08 AM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

Threads: 1
I think that there's some conclusion jumping here chaps. Manx Radio have suggested that it may not bid for the job. That doesn't mean automatically that they won't nor does it mean that coverage is ending. This could be some grandstanding by MR to get better terms for the contract. I agree however that changing for the sake of it is idiocy.

Also, throw into the equation the two other competing radio stations 3FM and EnergyFM whose owners are constantly moaning about MR's services and business model (it gets around £850k per year from central gov for "public service broadcasting") and you have a recipe for turmoil. The owner of Energy was until recently a member of the IOM Parliament and he'll still have the wherewithal to influence things.

Finally, a lot of the staff for Radio TT are freelancers and could theoretically work for anyone they choose so a change in host doesn't necessarily mean a big change in personnel, although whether they would work for another broadcaster is an entirely different question!!
04-05-2018, 01:26 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
[Image: robcallisterheadshot.jpg]

Value for money key with TT contracts

Callister calls Talking Heads after criticism

Value for money is essential when negotiating TT contracts.

That's the view of Rob Callister who has responsibility for the event at the Department for Enterprise.

It follows comments made by Manx Radio Managing Director Anthony Pugh at the public service broadcasting committee hearing on Wednesday.

Mr Pugh said a late one year contract had been agreed for Manx Radio TT to provide an event station and commentary for 2018 after lengthy negotiations.

He also stated the contract for next year may well go out to tender.

The matter was discussed on Talking Heads at lunchtime and Rob Callister phoned in after criticism of TT organisers from several other callers:-

[Image: listenhere.jpg]

[Image: manxradiologo.jpg]
04-05-2018, 03:55 PM
Website Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 400
i hope they don't change the coverage from Manx radio, it's a TT tradition! (much like us!!)
It would be a big mistake.
Don't forget that the guy behind one of the other 'competitors' used to work for Manx Radio & did broadcast during radio TT, I won a leather jacket one year & he presented it to me.
04-05-2018, 07:42 PM
Website Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
I don't think it would be a bad thing if they binned all of the current radio presenters as they are all dire.

I will no doubt get another rollicking now for being "negative "
04-05-2018, 09:54 PM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
Tell us DBD34 what your ideal radio broadcast would be? I for one find radio tt funny and informative. Many of the presenters have forgotten more about the tt than me or you will ever know. How you can dismiss their broadcasting in just one word (dire), is beyond me. But I'm pretty sure the vast majority would rather listen to Manx radio tt and their upbeat broadcasting than your never ending negative posts.
Signed
Slightly miffed from Runcorn
05-05-2018, 12:58 AM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 31
Whilst I'm not sure we need a complete change at Radio TT, but I do think a refresh is well overdue.

For example, with some of the older commentators, having them give a pre & post race preview/review with a few anecdotes thrown in, would be far better than having them commentate on a race, which IMHO they do badly.

For me, improving consistency in reporting of the factual information, for example: time difference to 1/10th of a second clearly communicated would be far better than rushing through a time-sheet to an irrelevant 1/1000th of a second during the race, giving more time for information on those further down the field. Commentators having technical knowledge of modern machines would be nice. Also if we could get some funny adverts back - Kenny Everett's Honda adverts spring to mind - than that would be good too!

I'm sure others on this forum have suggestions for improvements, but we all have to bear in mind that the TT is a commercial enterprise (whether we like it or not)  so advertisers need to be attracted to add to the bottom line.

If the way to effect change is a complete change, then that's what should happen. However, I think improving what we have is probably a better way forward. I suspect that there is some sabre rattling going on, in order to effect some improvements.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2018, 08:14 AM by Nasher.)
05-05-2018, 08:13 AM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
I can't personally see what the current commentators do badly, the TV needed a shakeup definitely but I think the radio guys are fantastic and very knowledgeable.
05-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

(05-05-2018, 12:58 AM)Chrisp955 Wrote: Tell us DBD34 what your ideal radio broadcast would be? I for one find radio tt funny and informative. Many of the presenters have forgotten more about the tt than me or you will ever know. How you can dismiss their broadcasting in just one word (dire), is beyond me. But I'm pretty sure the vast majority would rather listen to Manx radio tt and their upbeat broadcasting than your never ending negative posts.
Signed
Slightly miffed from Runcorn

Talk for yourself about TT knowledge by all means, but rest assured I have forgotten more about the TT than the presenters on Radio TT will ever know.

The fact of the matter is (and I have said it before) most of them hem do not come from biking backgrounds, hey are all Manx Radio presenters, so cheap options. Anyone decent like Charlie Williams or Charlie Lambert come at a price and have therefore been scrapped.

The current commentators are more into hockey, rugby, golf and football than bikes.
05-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 400
Personally, I struggle to think of a radio commentator that knows more about the TT than Chris Kinley or Roy Moore.
05-05-2018, 10:24 PM
Website Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

I guess I was spoilt then as I am from back when we had the likes of Peter Kneale at the helm and Geoff Cannell (both sadly no longer with us).
They could talk and talk about the TT for hours which is good for when there are the inevitable hold ups to programme, whenever there's a holdup now it's a case of "oh we'll hand back to Ben in the studio" who then plays the Ting Tings yet again because they have such restricted TT knowledge.
You also get the requests all the time as well again this is only just started creeping in recently because you don't need TT knowledge to read out a naff request.

I think Keith Huewan would be good at the Grandstand, McGuiness (with a bit of training in commentating) at Glen Helen and Whitham maybe at Hairpin.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2018, 12:02 PM by DBD 34.)
06-05-2018, 12:01 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Witham would be good anywhere. The lad has a real flair for commentating.

I'm a big J McG fan, but I can't see him commentating just now. Put another way, I don't see it as his forte.
06-05-2018, 01:46 PM
Find Reply
Rednine Offline

Threads: 5
I'm sure I am at least the age of DBD34 and couldn't agree with him less. I have also enjoyed those commentators he mentioned and I still miss listening to Tommy Robb and his Irish lilt commentating from Ballacraine. Nevertheless his comments regarding some others are so wide of the mark they are laughable. I totally agree with your last post Splashdown, great bloke but not his forte.

Smoke me a kipper...........................I'll be back for breakfast Icon_wink
06-05-2018, 02:17 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Which comments do you find laughable?

My point is that you wouldn't hav a bunch of clueless local radio presenters commentating on Moto GP, WSB or BSB would you, no, they have knowledgeable mainly ex racers who come at a price but who know what they are talking about.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2018, 02:59 PM by Malcolm.)
07-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
Yup - and you wouldn't have a scoreboard operated by Scouts either.

Cluelless is a bit harsh and not entirely accurate either.
Warning Level 0% since 2006
07-05-2018, 12:46 PM
Find Reply