rider numbers
Anonymous
Unregistered

rider numbers
why after almost a century of racing have the organisers fixed something that is'nt broken.
I refer to why adrian archibald carries the number 1 plate in all his 5 races. Is this not a slap in the face for those who rightfully won those plates last year. I cant recall archibald winning the production 1000,600, or juinor races.
Shaun Harris would have every right to feel aggreieved. I feel the riders strive for those plates not only for themselves but their sponsors and team members. What logical reason, if any, can there be for this kind of insult after so many years. I hope Shaun kicks butt this year (again) if only to stick it to the organisers.
11-05-2004, 12:37 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: rider numbers
I don't think that thats how it works at the TT. It is the case at world championship level and in certain US race series and possibly on NZ too but at the TT it has just never been the case that last years winners get to ride at number one.
Joey won 26 TTs and never rode at number one
In fact normally the guy at number one is at a disadvantage as he is the target all the rest are trying to catch.

11-05-2004, 07:52 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did Mr Harris want the No. 1 plate?
11-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bob Mac had the no 78 plate on the Gilera whilst Mike the Bike on his comeback had no 12.
11-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is MY bitch based on history. Yes Joey didn't use the #1 plate but I am sure that was his choice.
11-05-2004, 09:34 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where are the entry lists ?????, I cant find one anywhere and I have been blocked from the TT.com website for asking for one, 2004 TT admin is a Joke, unless you want to read about Irish Road Racing results...
11-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shaun Harris had the Number 1 plate in 1996 when he rode the Britten, as a tribute to John Britten who died not long before the TT.

I remember Tim Leech having the Number 1 plate 1 year, and in 1995, in the Senior, the Number 1 plate was worn by Michael Brown. Fogarty never had the Number 1, and to my knowledge Hizzy only ever had it in 1994.

Can I assume that the top riders can choose their number, Nick Jefferies always has 7, Lougher always seems to be 10, Joey was always 3
12-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe the idea was to keep all the "top seeds" in the top twelve numbers...

However some riders had numbers with which they were associated---Mick Grant seemed to get 10

Hailwood got 12 to show how many wins he had.

Shaun Harris had no.80 last year but was able to grab an early number in the race !!
13-05-2004, 10:48 AM