Viewing points - Advice please
Gleesy Offline

Threads: 4
Viewing points - Advice please
Hello everyone. New to the forum, but not to the TT (visited in 2010 and 2014).

Just wanted some advice from the experts please. During past visits we've watched at the grandstand / paddock, St Ninians, Quarter Bridge, Bradden Bridge and Ballaugh.

We're travelling over on 1st June for 6 nights, so we'll catch most of the races. I'd like to take the wife to view the racing from somewhere a bit different - a bit 'closer' to the bikes.  I've seen lots of videos taken at Gorse Lea, but I'm a bit unclear about the restrictions in place for this year. Would it be possible to still view at Gorse Lea, within touching distance of the bikes?

There's also a few other places I'm interested in, including Sarah's, Cronk Y Voddy, Sulby Crossroads, Greeba Castle and Ballacrye.

I suppose I'm just after some advice about where to view in order to get a proper "feel" for the bikes - fast straights, fast corners etc., where we can literally feel them going past. I appreciate facilities at some of these places won't be of the standard at the paddock and the Creg, but we're happy take chairs & food and sit it out for however long is needed.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide........
15-05-2018, 08:47 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
RE: Viewing points - Advice please
Crosby is worth a look - the very fast left hander at the bottom where the local hall is on the right with good food etc and is accessible on closed roads(footpath/field behind houses) or the top of Crosby sat on the roadside hedge as the bikes take off and get crossed up on landing at very high speed.
15-05-2018, 09:43 PM
Find Reply
Gleesy Offline

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. Sounds like a good option and it's not too far from where we're staying.

Thanks again.....
15-05-2018, 10:03 PM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
The last 2 years the gentlemen at Greeba villa has allowed you to view from the old tennis courts. It's a great raised view with toilets and there was a burger van last time I was there.
15-05-2018, 10:53 PM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

You cant beat Bray hill no matter how far you stray. Great atmosphere.

[Image: DSCF1275.jpg]

kilbil
15-05-2018, 11:31 PM
Find Reply
sculptor Offline

Barregarrow is excellent. You can watch at the top where you can almost touch the riders and then walk down through the field to the bend at the bottom (wear decent walking shoes).Park in the road on the inside of the track and you can 'escape' down the back roads during 'roads closed' up to the mountain or back to the Grandstand via the road under the track at Quarter Bridge. Buy yourself an OS map number 95 which shows all the small roads and don't forget at some places you'll be 'trapped' until roads open which, if there are postponements could be most of the day. Don't forget a radio for the commentary if you are away from loudspeakers (Medium Wave 1368)
16-05-2018, 07:48 AM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

Threads: 38
Maybe you can find something of interest here as well?
http://siljasttknowledge.blogspot.se/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczd86eTnJ8
Don't be that optimistic! The light in the tunnel can be a train. Sad
16-05-2018, 09:22 AM
Website Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Gorsr-Lea were fan,s get their early for a seat on Harold,s wall. Home made cakes and drinks are sold at farm.

View in.

[Image: PICT1069.jpg]

Out
 [Image: PICT1168.jpg]

kilbil
16-05-2018, 10:18 AM
Find Reply
BrianW Offline

Threads: 1
I agree about Ballegarrow, and you can get out on the back road, what about Sulby crossroads, on the inside ? watch them fly past the pub then drive up to the bungalow and watch there, return back towards Sulby but bear right and go to Ginger Hall for the left hander, facilities are good at all three points, then back to Sulby for when the roads open car passes.
16-05-2018, 11:17 AM
Find Reply
Gleesy Offline

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I've got lots to go at now and a lot of planning to do.

Didn't think about moving round 'inside' the circuit from one viewing point to another - great idea.....
16-05-2018, 08:32 PM
Find Reply
Frieman Offline

Threads: 6
We like to sit on grass verge just before Greg ny baa pub
16-05-2018, 09:42 PM
Find Reply
Gleesy Offline

Good shout. Is there availability for car parking at the Creg, do you know?
16-05-2018, 10:12 PM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

Threads: 38
There is a back road to come and go when ever you want. Parking, yes but not for free.
Don't be that optimistic! The light in the tunnel can be a train. Sad
(This post was last modified: 16-05-2018, 11:42 PM by Malcolm.)
16-05-2018, 10:39 PM
Website Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 31
Loads of places to watch from - everyone has their favourites.

For me, it's the Bungalow - I first went to the TT in 1976, now spend 2 weeks each at the TT & Classic/MGP/FOM and have spent more days at the Bungalow than anywhere else put together.

That said, it can be very cold & windy up there, even if it's warm everywhere else.

When I was young & foolish (as opposed to now being old & foolish) we used to run up to the Hotel at the top of the mountain to have a couple of pints of draught Manx bitter (Okells or Castletown) and then run back down for the racing - these days I take my sandwiches & coffee with me and have a snooze between races!
17-05-2018, 08:26 AM
Find Reply
BrianW Offline

Threads: 1
I agree with Nasher, the Bungalow is great - but pick your day.
17-05-2018, 09:07 AM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
For getting close to the action Hillberry is great, but with all good spots you have to get there early. Get a spot leaning against the wall just as they tip in to the corner and you will "feel" them go past. [copy and paste these co-ordinates into Google Maps for the exact location: 54.1884791,-4.4744439]

Whitehouse Park in Kirk Michael offers the chance to watch them all the way through the village. You are very close but I'm not sure I'd say you could "feel" them go past as they tend to be on the other side of the road. [54.2879015,-4.5816746]

Keppel Gate itself does not seem all that fast, but if you walk down to the far end of the field you can watch them come over the crest (often pulling a wheelie) as they head down to Kate's Cottage. You are trapped here though for the duration, and the extra hour it takes for the Mountain Road to re-open afterwards. [54.2125616,-4.4786956]

At the end of Cronk-y-Voddy (access from just off the crossroads) you can watch from the main field and see them all the way along the straight, but if you walk through the gap, behind the house and garden, to the next field you can get right next to the road and get a great sense of speed. [54.2421238,-4.6054192]

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
18-05-2018, 12:41 PM
Find Reply
laverda77 Offline

Threads: 9
Here is a couple of spots that I enjoyed watching more than expected:Up at the bungalow,on the outside of the circuit,after the bikes straighten up ,once over the tram lines,they accelerate hard towards the outside line,and if you are standing behind the sheep fencing ,it's for thrill seekers,I've seen a few spectators dive back into the heather with the scare.Secondly signpost corner was mega during sidecar races,I expected the action to be slowish,but when 2 arrive together, especially on the last lap of a race,and one or two had to use the slip road because the were going so hard. ( first thing I'm to do when arriving for practice week,is to check if this area at signpost is now prohibited)hope not?
21-05-2018, 08:31 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

There's a set back barrier which you have to stand behind for Signpost and the exit grass bank but further down you can sit on the inside hedge apex of Bedstead which is way faster than you might think - some serious drifting on the exit and the left hedge run down to The Nook is accessible in places too with the bikes very close by on the left as they line up for The Nook.
21-05-2018, 09:40 AM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Rhencullen is still just as good as ever. The new stand hinders your view a bit but you can still get on the bank in the adjacent field and see back to the petrol station. Plenty of refreshments to. Parking for bikes dead easy. 

In

[Image: DSCF1375.jpg]

Out

[Image: DSCF1379.jpg]

kilbil
(This post was last modified: 21-05-2018, 10:08 AM by kilbil.)
21-05-2018, 10:04 AM
Find Reply
laverda77 Offline

Threads: 9
(21-05-2018, 09:40 AM)Alfie Noakes Wrote: There's a set back barrier which you have to stand behind for Signpost and the exit grass bank but further down you can sit on the inside hedge apex of Bedstead which is way faster than you might think - some serious drifting on the exit and the left hedge run down to The Nook is accessible in places too with the bikes very close by on the left as they line up for The Nook.

Thanks Alfie,I'm going to go to signpost again,one of the practice evenings next week.
21-05-2018, 02:20 PM
Find Reply