Team ILR - Oulton Park Report
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Team ILR - Oulton Park Report
[Image: teamILRlogo.jpg]

The British Superbike season paid a second visit to Oulton Park at the weekend with Team ILR again fielding regular team members Robert Kennedy and Joey Thompson in the British Supersport Championship.

Despite a big crash at the same circuit last season, Oulton is one of Thompson's favourite circuits and he was hopeful of a good showing to match his performances there in May.

Kennedy by his own admission seems to struggle at the Cheshire venue, with Oulton being only his second British Supersport activity since his crash at Snetterton in June as he continues to work on his fitness, confidence and race sharpness.

Qualifying was held in dry conditions with spots of rain reported at Sector 3 and Robert finished 18th with Joey 24th.

Saturday's Sprint Race saw both riders involved in a terrific scrap for 18th in the early stages involving another four riders, with Joey sitting at the back of the group watching as positions constantly changed in front of him.

Robert meanwhile was at the head of the group and battling with GP2 rider Jorel Boerboom until the 7th lap when the Dutch rider opened up a one second gap which he held for the next few laps.

On Lap 10 Matthew Wigley also got past the Dundrod man followed on the last lap by Richard Kerr as Robert and Joey took the chequered flag in 20th and 21st with just 0.10s separating them.

[Image: RobertKennedyatOulton.jpg]
Robert Kennedy splashes his way around Oulton Park
Photo: David Johnston Motorsport Photography

If Saturday's Sprint race threw up some exciting action, Sunday's Feature race was unfortunately the opposite in the wet and tricky conditions.

After a few early race dices, and a mid-race battle with Darren Cooper, Joey had a relatively lonely ride in the closing stages to come home in 22nd (19th in Supersport).

Robert meanwhile did not find the conditions to his liking.

For the second race the team made a small change which was better, but he found he had no rear grip and after nearly parting company with his R6 a few tmes he called it a day after four laps.

The season concludes for the team at the final round at Brands Hatch in October.

[Image: JoeyThompsonatOulton.jpg]
Joey Thompson in action at Oulton Park on the ZX-6R.
Photo: David Johnston Motorsport Photography

Team ILR owner - manager Ian Lougher:

"With both Robert and Joey recently returning to Short Circuit action we were hoping for dry consistent weather throughout the weekend in order that they could get back up to speed after so much time out recently.

Unfortunately the heavens opened just when we didn’t want them too, resulting in lowly qualifying spots and untried set ups on the Team ILR machines.

But in Race 1 they got stuck in a dog fight with a few out brakers and couldn’t find a good rhythm.

Race 2 was wet and RK pitted with a lack of confidence on an experimental suspension set up.

Joey had a lack of rear grip but otherwise was gracious of the track time given to him by our long time team sponsor Mark Coverdale in stepping in to support him finishing off the year."

Joey Thompson:

"Oulton Park was another learning curve for me, with it only being my second Round back we did okay in practice but qualifying I had a few new settings to try but the rain came down before I got a fast lap in.

A big mistake from my own side.

I had a great battle in the race but was still way down the field.

The team has worked extremely hard throughout the weekend and it’s a shame I couldn’t repay them with the results but once again thanks to all at Team ILR and Mark Coverdale for making it happen."

Robert Kennedy:

"Not too much to say about the weekend as I struggled from start to finish in wet or dry.

However it was good to be back out riding again, but I couldn’t get comfortable with the bike and struggled a lot with some ongoing injuries from my crash a Snetterton.

Hopefully Brands will be a bit better.

Thanks to Team ILR and all my sponsors."

[Image: ChrisMortonRIP.jpg]

In closing, at Team ILR we were deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Chris Morton on Monday September 10th.

"Morty" as he was affectionately known, was a long time friend and sponsor of Team ILR and he will be sadly missed.

Morty's funeral will take place on Wednesday September 26th at 11am in Coychurch Crematorium, Brigend, South Wales and our thoughts are very much with his family and many friends at this difficult time.
19-09-2018, 11:54 AM
Website Find Reply