HICKMAN TAKES MACAO TRIPLE CROWN
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
HICKMAN TAKES MACAO TRIPLE CROWN
[Image: MacauGPHdr.jpg]

Peter Hickman (Aspire-Ho by Bathams BMW) took a full set of firsts away from the Suncity Group Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix – 52nd Edition, converting pole into victory and adding fastest lap to his tally for good measure. He set that time on lap 4 after he decided against following early leader Michael Rutter (Aspire-Ho by Bathams Honda RC213V) any longer, and set off in pursuit of victory instead.

Hickman’s decision may well have been prompted by the fact that Danny Webb (MGM by Penz13 BMW) had taken third place from Gary Johnson (Briggs Equipment Kawasaki) and was closing in on the leading duo.

But Webb’s pursuit faded just as Martin Jessopp on the Tak Chun Group by PBM Ducati decided that he’d settled in nicely and wanted to move up on the leading group before they got away completely. But by the time he got past Johnson and Webb the gap to Rutter and Hickman was all but five seconds and it started growing from then on.

The reason was that Rutter had seen Hickman’s rear Dunlop tyres had started to slide and decided he would have another push. But Hickman merely raised his game as well and began to ease away from Rutter to the extent that, when the red flags were shown on lap 8, he was a second clear. After the race, Rutter declared Hickman to be uncatchable.

The result was declared at that point, leaving Webb an excellent fourth, Gary Johnson fifth and Horst Saiger a creditable sixth. Davey Todd (PuraGlobe Syntainics Racing Oil by Penz 3) finished ninth, once again the best result among the newcomers taking part today.

Said Hickman:

“On the third lap I thought, I’ll get my head down a bit and see if I can break in just a little bit, get a little bit of a gap and see if I can manage it, which was basically what I did. After half distance, I thought I’ll get my head back down again and did a low 24, which pulled the gap back out again. It’s fantastic for me. For Aspire-Ho and Bathams, a win here is absolutely brilliant.”

For Rutter, it was his 19th podium finish since his Macao debut in 1994:

“The bike went off the line absolutely perfectly and I just got in front of Pete into turn 1. I thought, this is not right, it’s not happening! I just got my head down. When he came flying past and I thought I’d stay on the back of him but he pulled so much on me in just one lap, I thought this is just embarrassing this is, I’ll have to get my head down. I started matching him and I felt comfortable. I could see a bit of wear on his rear Dunlop and I thought, that’s not going to last, but he seemed to be keeping the same pace. To be fair to Pete, he was on rails!”

Taking his sixth podium on his tenth visit, victory on the Guia Circuit still eluding him, Jessopp was nonetheless upbeat about this race:

“I didn’t really panic about the start though. We were all in one group, and I thought it’s not a problem if you can pick off a few guys. But I’m so new to the bike. I’ve been on the same bike for six years and never won, so why not try something different? I’ve been riding the bike around here for a couple of days with a lot of respect for the bike and for the circuit, and I’ve not tried to rush anything. It was always going to be difficult against the competition I’m sat next to. As crazy as it sounds, I’d love another race tomorrow!”

Hickman’s win was his third in Macau, following on from his victories in 2015 and ‘16.

The red flags came out after British riders Phil Crowe and Ben Wylie were involved in the same incident, without serious injury to either rider.

The results were declared after 8 laps.

1: P Hickman
2: M Rutter
3: M Jessop
4: D Webb
5: G Johnson
6: H Saiger
7: D Johnson
8: D Shiels
9: D Todd
10: J McGuinness
11: M Cerveny
12: S West
13: M Sweeney
14: P Jordan
15: B Wylie
16: P Crowe
17: E Kostamo
18: R Hodson
19: A Pires
20: D Herbertson
21: D Mathison
22: X Denis
23: S Heneghan
24: C Neve

NOT Classified

25: D Morgan
26: D Grams
(This post was last modified: 17-11-2018, 04:03 PM by Malcolm.)
17-11-2018, 03:50 PM
Website Find Reply