GlenLough Campsite
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
GlenLough Campsite
For the first time in years I'll be camping again, well in a camper that is. Staying at GlenLough. Anyone have any experience of this site? I've also volunteered for some marshal duties at Ballagarey as its only a short stroll away.

Only a month to go!
28-04-2019, 10:15 AM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
RE: GlenLough Campsite
Never stayed there myself but a friend of mine has been staying there for years and he loves it, says they quite often have live bands on and run a shuttle bus service into Douglas throughout the day and night(obviously only when the roads are open).
28-04-2019, 10:35 AM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Threads: 134
Not the most modern of facilities but everything you need is there. Generally not as heaving as Peel and other popular sites.

Racing on your doorstep and last time I stayed there you could get in and out on a bike during closed roads via the old railway line that runs adjacent to the site. 

Nearest shop and decent pub is Union Mills as is Tom Mason's place if you run into trouble.

I'd park away from the road unless you like the sound of the very early morning bikers!
[Image: chris-quill-blue.gif]Laurel Bank II Marshal, Classic TT & Manx GP
28-04-2019, 11:03 AM
Find Reply

Cheers chaps. Looking forward to it!
28-04-2019, 03:55 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
the access via old railway line is to the Glen Darragh Rd - have a look on Google Maps(Satellite), an amazing place to spectate, you might think coming up Ballahutchin Hill it's just a gentle right over a crest towards Ballagarey ... it's not - as you'll find out, all sorts of bike physics going on.
28-04-2019, 04:03 PM
Find Reply

Cheers Alfie, I've been going to the TT on and off since '77 (through Laxey camping from the back of my Dad's XL250 through homestays, house rentals air BnB , more camping and bringing my own family....and yet there is so much still to experience Smile
29-04-2019, 07:07 PM
Find Reply
zedmeister Offline

Threads: 7
(29-04-2019, 07:07 PM)Smokin Haddock Racing Wrote: Cheers Alfie, I've been going to the TT on and off since '77 (through Laxey camping from the back of my Dad's XL250 through homestays, house rentals air BnB , more camping and bringing my own family....and yet there is so much still to experience Smile

been staying there for years - on site mobile cafe - live bands - quite a queue for the showers / toilets at certain times good ground to pitch on - gets very busy - as said buses frequent to Douglas / peel, the staff are very good and willing to help with anything. the old railway track can take you to Quarter bridge / braddan bridge or if you are feeling energetic you can walk to peel. We have a van with awning try to set up away from the site road-tracks as it gets very dusty in dry weather your camper will be full of dust. 

All in all a great site i would highly recommend it especially for the craic.
02-05-2019, 10:22 PM
Find Reply

Cheers Zed. My mate is sticking my mountain bike in his camper so will make good use of the old railway track , and any other tracks I can find. My 16 year old Daughter is with us (17 on the 31st) and she is really looking forward to the bands. We will be in a big old camper, my Street Triple and mates Repsol Blade and a KTM. Come and say hello. My Daughter is easy to spot....pink hair!
03-05-2019, 10:27 PM
Find Reply
zedmeister Offline

Threads: 7
(03-05-2019, 10:27 PM)Smokin Haddock Racing Wrote: Cheers Zed.  My mate is sticking my mountain bike in his camper so will make good use of the old railway track , and any other tracks I can find.  My 16 year old Daughter is with us (17 on the 31st) and she is really looking forward to the bands.  We will be in a big old camper, my Street Triple and mates Repsol Blade and a KTM.  Come and say hello.  My Daughter is easy to spot....pink hair!

Ha what a co-incidence it is also my Birthday on the 31st ( wrong side of 40 ) we will be in a pimped Renault traffic lol! we will have a kwak GTR and a X-ray Blade, ( deffo not Pink though )  i will keep an eye out for you Mate although not difficult to spot your Daughter with Pink Hair lol!.

Just a note - the bands are really good although there is no Bar but you are allowed to take your own alcohol.
Not sure of any other cycle tracks but i think the 'Visit Isle of Man' site does have some info on there.
05-05-2019, 11:36 PM
Find Reply
Yamaham Offline

Threads: 4
I'm new to this forum, but thought I'd give you my tuppence worth on Glenlough. In my opinion it's a cracking site, great location, good bands and good craic. I've stayed there about six times, though changed to a different campsite 3 years ago. Reason for the change was that the showers at Glenlough weren't the greatest. They were clean enough but really low water pressure. I always coped, but my missus came with me for the first time 3 years back and I didn't want to spend race week listening to complaints about showers. Ended up at Braddan Bridge T.T campsite, really good facilities, though bikers were a rarity and no bands, so have always missed Glenlough. 

Due to a dodgy back, I've decided to give homestay a try this year. Some of my mates are back at Glenlough though, so might come down for a visit to get the craic.

A good tip for watching the racing at the site. There's a really good spot on a grass bank about a hundred yards or so before the entrance to Glenlough, coming from Union Mills. When the road's closed, head through the bottom field of the site, across one farmer's field and you're there. Really good spot if you're running late on a raceday, or not fussed about moving for the day. Bikes passing your feet before tipping into the right hander at site entrance.

I'm sure you'll enjoy Glenlough anyway.
06-05-2019, 11:45 AM
Find Reply

Your tuppence worth I every much appreciated! 3 weeks too go Smile
06-05-2019, 11:33 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
I've a few mates camping at glen lough this year. Whilst I'm in home stay, I'm likely watching Friday nights practice from there.

Is there anywhere to get some grub on glen lough?

=======================================================================
See you on the island
10-05-2019, 07:04 PM
Find Reply
Yamaham Offline

Threads: 4
Couldn't say for certain, but there's usually a burger van at Glenlough that should be open at evening practice. If not, you could head to the Railway Inn, either on the old railway line if roads are closed, or 5 minute walk on the road after the session is over. There's usually half decent grub on there.
12-05-2019, 11:02 AM
Find Reply