Sidecars at Oulton?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sidecars at Oulton?
Today at Oulton instead of sidecars they had go-kart racing,i have seen go-karts before at Darley but they are certainly impresive at Oulton.PS Must order my copy of Go-Kart weekly.
19-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Sidecars at Oulton?
Thinking of having a go yourself then?
19-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bet they got round quicker than the bikes !!!!! lol
20-06-2004, 07:39 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

They seem quicker than s/cars but thats only my opinion?
20-06-2004, 08:31 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Might go up to Smithies this morning and purchase one, did you ever race them Tom .
20-06-2004, 08:34 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

No but I remember them being at the Southern 100 back in the seventies and they were awesome over the bumps.
20-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom, The Karts were certainly spectacular at the Southern 100, but I seem to think they were discontinued due to the number of accidents, and general havoc they caused! Someone may be able to clarify this.
20-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

My father raced karts a couple of times in the island during the 70`s when I was a kid.
Three seperate events were run over a week.
They raced on the Southern 100 course and also did a hill climb at Port Soderick, but the most spectacular event of the lot was The Douglas Grand Prix. I can`t remember exactly where the course went but it started at the TT Grandstand in the wrong direction and turned right down Victoria Road, they then disappeared into Douglas and came back into view at St Ninnians and turned right, back past The Grandstand.
Dad remembers how frightening it was looking down at the front wheels waiting for something to break, it was so bumpy!
With no suspension the frame had to take all the shock, they were off the ground most of the time!
I can remember one year the Southern 100 event was abandoned when a tree was blown over in strong winds.
They all had to stop, turn round and come back to the pits the wrong way!
I think they only ran the event for a couple of years.
Anyone else remember anything about The Isle Of Man Kart Week?
20-06-2004, 08:23 PM