A piece of TT history
Anonymous
Unregistered

A piece of TT history
The Honda 6 that Jim Redman brought to the TT was certainly a piece of TT history and great to see and hear.But how many of the spectators for the parade lap were aware of the full dustbin N.S.U. 250cc RENNMAX twin which was paraded.This was the machine that Werner Haas won the 1954 lightweight TT on at an average speed of 90.88mph over the mountain coarse,and I believe a fastest lap of over 94mph quite incredible for 50 years back do'nt you think.
27-06-2004, 04:13 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: A piece of TT history
The Rennmax was ridden by Heinz Herz, son of the pre-war NSU TT rider and world land speed record holder Wilhelm Herz. An interesting website for those interested in the NSU can be found at <A HREF="http://www.nsu-schneider.de/">http://www.nsu-schneider.de/</A> which is run by Wolfgang Schneider who rode the lovely little 125 NSU Rennfox in the Classic Parade.
27-06-2004, 05:59 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi just being pedantic here but Honda brought the 250 6 for Jim Redman to ride (Not Jim bringing it). It was lovely. I was priveleged to ride in that parade at 130 I'm all booked up for next year
27-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I saw a little road-legal copy (as opposed to a replica) of the "six", with a number 1 plate, being ridden around the island. I think that it was a "four" but with six megaphone pipes. It looked very neat.
Regarding the NSU, does this have the unique NSU camshaft drive using twin eccentrics and conrod like links?

28-06-2004, 09:09 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

No Chris - the works twins had shaft & bevel drive to the cams.

Only the Max singles, road & race, had the eccentrics.
28-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

S'funny Larry - I though you were the eccentric!
28-06-2004, 01:44 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Who am I to argue!!
28-06-2004, 05:00 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I followed that Honda around the verandah one morning. As I came up behind I saw the six pipes Black leathers socks turned over the boot tops Mikes style Helmet. I thought must be David Hailwood. I slowly passed giving the thumbs up. Down in the paddock phoning everyone to tell what I had seen. My brother then spotted it in Castletown and explained, it fooled me on the road. I rode in the parade at No 130 as well.
28-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris,

I have a picture of same machine its owmer was staying on the prom, I saw him out polishing the machine on the footpath.

Correct is is a four with an old engine, he is hoping to update the engine in the future.

Cheers,

Big D.
06-07-2004, 01:10 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ah, that confirms it. I first took a look at it in Albert Square, Ramsey, where it created some interest then again on the Prom. Good luck to the guy for creating a fun machine.
06-07-2004, 08:35 AM