BMW Motorrad WorldSBK Team kicks off the 2021 WorldSBK season at MotorLand Aragon
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
BMW Motorrad WorldSBK Team kicks off the 2021 WorldSBK season at MotorLand Aragon
[Image: BMW-WSBLoo.jpg]

The BMW Motorrad WorldSBK Team today completed day 1 of the 2021 World Superbike Championship at MotorLand Aragon. Fresh from the pre-season test here just two weeks ago, this would be the first time that all competitors would be on track together.

In FP1, both Tom Sykes and Michael van der Mark did well, consistently staying in the top part of the standings however with bike set-up being the focus of the session.

Tom spent majority of the session within the top 3, however dropped places in the final moments as he opted to remain with his used tyre throughout – gaining valuable data.

Michael equally went about his FP1 well, still getting to know his BMW M 1000 RR the team made some minor adjustments during the session which resulted in him finishing in P9. (1’50.966) +1.014 behind session topper Toprak Razgatlioglu.

In the final session of the day the track temperature soared meaning lack of grip hindered both riders. Michael had an unfortunate crash at T8, which resulted in him sitting out the session, thankfully he was unharmed. Sykes missed out on the top 10 positions, finishing in P13 (1’52.061).

On combined session times, Tom Sykes finished in P9, Michael van der Mark in P11.

[Image: BMWboysATAragonRace1.jpg]

SHAUN MUIR - TEAM PRINCIPAL

“FP1 was reasonably okay, we found a good setting for both riders which was pleasing. Tom went out and used only one tyre this morning, Michael used two rear tyres as he found a setting which was comfortable for him.

Michael then went back out in FP2 on that used rear tyre from FP1 and unfortunately lost the front at T8, which is an easy crash to make but thankfully he is OK and there is not too much damage on the bike. However, this meant that Michael’s session was over, which was a shame as we needed the laps in the hot conditions for the race.

Tom started off the weekend well and was within the top 8, but this afternoon he struggled and lost his way a bit, so we are having to go back as he did not have the same feeling in the hot conditions as he did this morning. This is something we need to work on”

TOM SYKES

“Straight into FP1 the majority of riders were using the SC0 tyre, which straight away worked for us and we had a good feeling with the bike. Towards the end of the session people started using the “X” tyre, which pushed us down the order as we opted to stay with the SC0. This afternoon’s session obviously got a lot warmer and as we had a few items to try out this affected overall lap time performance. But, tomorrow is another day and we will keep working”

MICHAEL VAN DER MARK

“I think the first session this morning for us was good. We lacked a lot of grip at first but during the session, but we managed to find it, which meant at the end of the session I was able to do some good laps. We also understood some areas we can work on especially in the braking phase, so this was a good step for us.

The afternoon session was a lot warmer and very different conditions. I was feeling okay but unfortunately, I had a crash at T8 which was a shame as I planned to do some long runs in the hot conditions.  A lot of work to do for the boys tonight unfortunately, but we will come back again strong tomorrow”

22-05-2021, 05:41 PM
Website Find Reply