Sad state of the island
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
Sad state of the island
As a proud Manx man it saddens me to see the state of disrepair that the island is currently in. I have watched coverage of this year’s NW200 and compliment the authorities there for the cleanliness of the course and surroundings.
Isle of Man needs to follow suit as it has let itself go over recent years.
19-05-2023, 11:26 PM
Find Reply
rutolander Offline
Three Star Member

Threads: 14
RE: Sad state of the island
No point being proud today if they can't make money out of it they are not interested
What happened to civic pride the park in Ramsey Mooragh use to look good years ago but now a quick run around with a mower seem to be about it.
In Coronation park you could walk all the way up to Cruickshank's now its mostly bramble bush grown no drought during covid but never cut back.
It used to be a nice change to visit from UK now its much the same bring back the good old days Icon_mrgreen
20-05-2023, 09:09 AM
Find Reply
Spartacus Offline

Threads: 10
Same in Liverpool mate. The streets and roads are a disgrace. People used to take pride in their streets but nobody gives a toss anymore.
The council are a disgrace. The streets are never cleaned anymore.
21-05-2023, 07:31 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Manx myself with a few years on the clock - it's not just the IoM and at least there's 37 miles of pretty good road surface on the island, over here in UK the roads resemble 3rd world shanty town tracks even in the bigger cities, out where I am in the rural countryside it literally isn't safe to drive / ride at pace at night because you can't see the oncoming craters which wreck wheels / suspension and tyres. One thing I do really notice and miss on the island is the old festoon lights on the prom - they were a very special thing to see coming home on a night sailing, for the life of me I can't believe there were no LED equivalents.
Another thing that seems to stop regeneration and investment on the IoM is that people/govt goons seem to think it's a crime to change or update older redundant buildings whilst making money at the same time or equally it's better to leave them to rot/ruin/arson then demolition, Ramsey I think is particularly guilty as some of the buildings are in a terrible state around the quayside.
Just get busy with the good things and people around you as the days aren't coming back.
21-05-2023, 07:57 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
Agreed to all the above. You think the iom is bad, the mainland is ten times worse.

Our roads are truly shocking. It's at a stage where it's nearly impossible to fix, the amount of investment required to put right what's been neglected is an impossible amount.

=======================================================================
See you on the island
21-05-2023, 08:22 PM
Find Reply
csd4t Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
(21-05-2023, 08:22 PM)H2pots Wrote: Agreed to all the above. You think the iom is bad, the mainland is ten times worse.

Our roads are truly shocking. It's at a stage where it's nearly impossible to fix, the amount of investment required to put right what's been neglected is an impossible amount.

Mainland? You mean "over"?
21-05-2023, 09:21 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
(21-05-2023, 09:21 PM)csd4t Wrote: Mainland? You mean "over"?

Yes 😁😁

=======================================================================
See you on the island
21-05-2023, 10:14 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Oh and if you think the IoM Govt overspend / lose money on stupid projects i'll raise you with the BIGGEST POINTLESS waste of money, destruction, local construction delays etc namely HS2............if you really wanted to get to Birmingham 20mins quicker then very simply just get the earlier train and the blather about reducing load on other lines is complete rowlocks as it doesn't stop anywhere else between London and Birmingham.
22-05-2023, 08:10 AM
Find Reply
bud62 Offline

Threads: 2
(22-05-2023, 08:10 AM)Alfie Noakes Wrote: Oh and if you think the IoM Govt overspend / lose money on stupid projects i'll raise you with the BIGGEST POINTLESS waste of money, destruction, local construction delays etc namely HS2............if you really wanted to get to Birmingham 20mins quicker then very simply just get the earlier train and the blather about reducing load on other lines is complete rowlocks as it doesn't stop anywhere else between London and Birmingham.

But how else can the gov't 'legally' line the pockets of their paymasters?
22-05-2023, 05:01 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Can confirm that IoM roads are far better than UK, you can drive with a little pace looking far ahead instead of looking for deep cratered vehicle wrecking potholes in front of you....fair bit of lovely new tarmac on the course, KM to Peel road is fab too.
26-05-2023, 08:32 AM
Find Reply