Clipping from the past.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Clipping from the past.
Found this newspaper clipping from "The Age" in Melbourne Australia April 18 1932.

"J Pringle(Melbourne) and D Brewster (Sydney), Australia's chosen
official representatives for the Isle of Man (England) Tourist Trophy races, left Australia
during the week end by the Balranald, which is due to arrive in London on 14th May.
Pringle won the Australian T.T. race of 101 miles at Bathurst on Easter
Saturday by 5 min. 8 sec. from C Weatherby (N.S.W), R.East (Melbourne) and D Brewster,
in 1 hour 40 min. 46 sec., an average speed o 60.02 miles an hour. The fastest lap, at
67 miles an hour was also made by J Pringle"

Pringle riding his Norton came 12th in the Senior in 1932 (ave 71.48). Stanley Woods on a Norton
won (ave 79.38. Pringle also returned in 1933 but failed to finish in both the Senior and Junior.
Brewster came 12th in the Junior in 1932 on an Velocette and 17th in the Senior riding an Exelsior
(ave 67.99). He had ridden the previous year into 18th in the Junior again on Velocette but failed to finish in the Senior on his AJS.

They must have been leasurly times when it took two months out of your year to ride in the TT
for 3 hours 42 min. But such was the prestige of the TT in those days.
It is also interesting to compare the average speeds between Bathurst an extremely testing road course and the TT Mountain course.

Of the other two riders mentioned in the clipping C Weatherby appears to have ridden in three
TTs in 1933 but only finished in the Junior in 15th place on his Velocette (ave 68.90).
R East did not make it to the Island, perhaps he had a full time job!

24-11-2004, 04:58 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Clipping from the past.
I actually knew Ces Weatherby, Don. One of Dad's mates. Very tall man who, together with Don Bain, moved into machine examining, etc after retirement. Another TT rider, Eric McPherson, also spent his retirement heavily involved in the running of the sport in Oz. Their dedication was unbelievable and I can't imagine the riders of today staying around to support on the other side of the pit fence once they have retired from racing. I think most of them move on to commentating these days.
24-11-2004, 10:31 PM