Oooh So Lonely
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oooh So Lonely
I have been watching T.T.2004 on M&M's for the umpteenth time, and something struck that I had not noticed before concentrating to hard watching the masters of their trade at work.

Where were the spectators? The Gooseneck, the Verandah and Bungalow, Windy, the Creg all the way to Kates were almost deserted.

Back in the 60s, 70s and 80s they were absolutely heaving with hardly a place to stand anywhere on the course.The Manx was the same when I last had a whiz round back in the 60s

Must be an awfully lonely ride now, I suppose one advantage is the stretch from the Black Hut to the the Bungalow is not teeming with seagulls just waiting to knock your head off anymore.

07-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Oooh So Lonely
Tom i know exactly what you mean but i have said this before, a lot of people who go to the IOM during TT havnt much interest in the racing they go to wheelie up the prom and soak up the atmosphere. There are of course the genuine race fans but i find they are a bit thin on the ground these days and you cant compare the glory days to those of today, in fact most of the dye-hards are from Ireland and are brought up on real road racing.
07-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sad that Tom, i remember an ex boyfriend of mine has a copy of a holiday brochure and i appear on the cover amongst hundreds of others spectating watching the bikes fly past ! Changed days eh.

cheers,
Stella
07-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the genuine road race fans are going to the Irish road meetings, no shortage of fans over there! They can get a few meetings in for the cost of a fortnight here.
Bit of sad news; we lost Jeeyl, our friendly Rottweiler on Sunday; we threesome have become a duo - possibly temporarily!
07-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't forget in this day and age of claims for damages, more and more places are now Prohibited to spectators.

I remember people sitting on the hedge at the bottom of Barregarrow, now a no go place.

The Spectators are still their, but now favour the pubs and places with food, as opposed to the 60's and 70' when Sandwiches in a Box and a Flask of Tea was the order of the day.

Fitz.
07-12-2004, 11:47 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Perhaps they should start the races in the afternoon,to give people more time to get to their vantage points after getting rid of their hangovers from the night before!!
(Writing from personal experiences)
08-12-2004, 12:27 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to hear that The Hound of the Baskervilles has passed on Bill. Won't forget the slobbering I got last time.
Don't know what the crowds were back in prehistoric times but the Ginger Hall was packed out in 2000. As was the Mitre and both pubs in Parliament Square.
08-12-2004, 05:26 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry about your loss Bill but about Irish Road Racing you have hit the nail on the head,i have spent many happy days at the TT but things move on and i enjoy going to places like Kells etc just as much and i have some change left in my pockets? No i am not knocking the TT it still has a future but if you want afternoon racing as someone posted there is always the Southern 100 and for me it is a superbly run meeting.
08-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry for your lost , Bill! I'm every year on the TT and I enjoyed to be there for a holiday. I don't look much races but I'm allways happy to be there in this pretty atmosphere. We made no wheelies only bombs at the Dhoon.
Michael
08-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sid from Brigg, with the never ending, almost customary 15 minute delays we are used to at the TT most races DO start in the afternoon which is I guess one reason the people won't travel onto the mountain section to sit in the wind for these long delays?
PS Do you know Dave Hedison from Brigg? If so pass on my regards when you see him ;-)

10-12-2004, 02:26 AM