Anti TT lobby
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anti TT lobby
I am trying to write an article arguing FOR the TT, but I can't find anything on the internet arguing against the TT, though I know articles have been written in the press over the years. Has anyone got any examples?
13-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Anti TT lobby
13-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stick to all things positive Mate. The TT needs support not maggotty disertations on the dead and maimed, or things recorded against the TT.

Put it in your mind that top riders have ceased riding in the TT and then got out of life going for chips or flying 'copters.

Life is dangerous but we don't sit in a bomb shelter, wrapped in cotton wool all our life !!

People do all things in life as a "Challenge". They are not mad but do what they enjoy doing.

Can we stop people climbing mountains, going to the Antarctic, going for chips, drinking booze, smoking, peeling potatoes, working with electricity, flying helicopters, going on holiday, racing cars or motorcycles ?
NO !
13-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Harvey, that's also the sort of thing I'm looking to quote, are those approximate figures "near enough"?
13-04-2005, 10:27 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Obviously I didn't make myself clear.
I am arguing FOR the TT, but I need examples of people arguing against it as a contrast so that I can counter their argument.
(Still doesn't make sense does it?)
13-04-2005, 10:32 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

13-04-2005, 11:25 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another sport where deaths seem more socially acceptable than ours is horse-riding, where a surprisingly high proportion of the fatalities are children, but I must have missed the anti-pony-club publicity.
However, I am not really comfortable with taking this comparative line too far..I don't wish the criticism on any other sport, any more than on ours.
14-04-2005, 06:24 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

And another sport not getting bad reports........
FISHING !!
We've had this subject before.....
Good Luck with your findings for this TT subject.
14-04-2005, 08:05 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes I know. I'm not taking the stance that other sports should be banned, but more taking a line that if people didn't take chances in life then there would be no progress. Dr. Stevens once likened TT riders to the battle of Britain pilots and we know what would have happened if they hadn't been round. I decided I'm not going to quote actual figures but concentrate on the similarities of the people involved.
14-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didn't know fishing was bad for you.
14-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

have a look how many fall out of boats / slip down muddy banks / fall through thin ice and drown. also how many have been electrocuted or struck by lightning using those enormous carbon fibre poles. also, given the mentality of some of the fishermen round here, how many have slashed their wrists after sitting there all day and not getting a bite :-]
ade!
14-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

As ever when this topic is raised it makes for interesting reading.
I think it's fair to say that life is very dangerous right from the very first second and it always ends with death.
Enjoying the bit in the middle is whats important.
No matter what you do have fun doing it.

14-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good point. Makes tearing round the course seem relatively safe.
14-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Enjoying the bit in the middle"; good one, I'll make that part of the main argument.
14-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

take a look at this and read the bit about rock fishing in australia.
<A HREF="http://www.kidzworld.com/site/p1984.htm">http://www.kidzworld.com/site/p1984.htm</A>
ade!
14-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The problem here is that 15 people dieing(?) in incidents not DIRECTLY connected doesn't get people on their high horse. If it was a 2 week rock fishing tournament in one location (like the TT) then there would be an outcry.
But trying to use this argument to defend the TT doesn't seem to make sense to the opposition.
Thanks for the link anyway, I can probably use it in my essay.
14-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Never take life too seriously. None of us will escape it alive!!!!!!!!!
15-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

In Melbourne, Australia recently they unveiled a statue of a jockey at one of the famous racecourses, I can't remember which. It is a beautiful likeness of one of the legends of the turf and on the base of the statue are listed all those jockeys who have paid the ultimate price. The occasion was attended by all the top people and was respectful. No one even hinted that horse racing should ever be stopped. Those guys take fantastic risks and there is little hope if a field of horses thunder over you.

TT riders are no different and I for one would regard it as a mark of respect if their names could be recorded publicly, and to hell with the sensationalists who would of course interpret it the wrong way.
To my mind, too many TT heroes lie unsung and their exploits unrecorded because we have erected a wall of silence to try to protect the sport.
Perhaps it is time to stop the pretence that, if we say nothing it will just go away.
The Isle of Man needs a proper TT museum where each and every rider will have his or her name recorded forever.
The TT has done so much for the Island it is about time the Island did something for the TT.

15-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another good point well made, thanks.
15-04-2005, 09:53 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

As ever Don wise words thats an excellent idea.
And I know just the man for curator........JF?
15-04-2005, 10:14 AM