TT in Todays Independent
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: TT in Todays Independent
My comments were a bit tounge in check however it is fair to say that when it come to features writers it is not their role to report news as such but rather to produce articles that sell the paper. Higher sales can be translated into higher advertising revinue which is how papers make money.

As ever Tom has spoken wisely
30-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe a few of you do not realise that, like I am, Barry was an asthmatic and the old manx air was not the best for his type of asthma.

I have no problems in the manx air, but I don't smoke Gauloise fags as Barry did !

I remember "sharing" my inhaler with him at Silverstone in the year he raced Kenny Roberts and gave him "two laps to go" signs..........

Therefore I feel that perhaps his breathing was also a problem at the TT and that was another factor in him disliking the Island !

Perhaps if the "news" paper had paralleled the TT with our many racing pals who died in the two wars, going for chips, flying a helicopter, of very old age after long and safe racing careers etc etc, there might have been some balance.

I remember Bill Smith and me watching the horrible scenes unfolding at Heysel on TV in the Dougie Bay, plus it is 50 years since the Le Mans accident but life has gone on.

There is always risk no matter what we do......

30-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

30-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well put, Tom. It should be noted that Ron Williams has been talking about how this is the ultimate challenge for machinery, and also the best development event, contributing not only to racing, but also to improvement to road machines.
It is a way of life. All life involves risk, and we should admire those who, while pushing risk to its limit, most certainly do not court death. Safe, fast racing to you all..members of the greatest community in the world.
30-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Bill, i was pretty sure that Bazza did the 250 proddy race, but AS you say, was a retirement. Judging by his lack of practice, and his race performance, he could have been a good tt rider , but it wasnt his direction, and he still went on to be one of the worlds best.
30-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: TT in Tomorrows Independent
Well, the worst possible news has broken tonight...............

now the Independent will have a field day...
30-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes. I am so sorry. My thoughts are with his family.
30-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The suns just set and my heart sank on reading the very sad news.

Stella
30-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tragic news indeed. Our thoughts are with his family and friends. I hope they find comfort in knowing that he was doing what he loved.

As for the Independent and most newspapers- let's face it, a day of brilliant racing with no mishaps might be buried in the back of the Sports section - if it was covered at all.

But, a tragedy makes front page news with no context only lurid headlines and sensational photos. If I had a copy it would go in tomorrow's litter box!

What's the answer? Should we call, write or email and ask for media coverage worthy of a world class sporting event?
30-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, don't blame the Indy, they did'nt kill him! Poor Mr Karlsson eh, or more importantly, poor seven year old daughter. Right to race maybe, how about right to a father? Don't suppose there'll be a lap of honour for this unknown foreigner??
31-05-2005, 02:51 AM