Neil hodgson story
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
Neil hodgson story
Why is the Manx independant running a story re saying neil hodgson does like the TT. again is this story from the anti TT brigade. who gives a hoot what neil thinks about the TT.
05-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Find Reply
Mark Edgeley Offline

Threads: 5

Nothing new in this at all. Hodgie just says in the interview what he's always said about the TT. I'm surprised the paper is running it given his friends at IOM newspapers.

By the way it's a good feature on Neil on a really good bike website.
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Jan/051221-100d.htm
05-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

I gather then, that he only "uses" the Isle of Man for the purposes of paying less income tax on income earned by racing on bowling greens surrounded by air fences and fences to keep the public "safe".
Neil is a great rider and has achieved more than most could ever hope for, but once again, because he dislikes the TT, he is trying to influence others.I really do wish he would keep out of it. I don't like football,but---- :?
05-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Find Reply
Mike Crellin Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0

Just read the interview and this hit home big style:

"But I've always said this: when test tickles were being given out, I was at the back of the queue. Because there's no way. If it's test tickles that that's what it takes to go down Bray Hill flat-out, I haven't got them. I'm not too proud to say, "No, that would scare the poo out of me. I do not want to die. No." Call me an old-fashioned bore and a gay man, I don't know, but I don't want to die. And if you do the TT, you go down Bray Hill that first lap, you have to say to yourself, "If I make one mistake, if I have one technical problem with this bike, I know the consequences, and I'm prepared to take that, because this means more to me than my life." You have to. And if you don't do that, you're going in there with the wrong conception of what it's all about."

Fair enough and well said. Due respect to Mr H.
05-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40

I agree with Mike. Fair play to Neil he's said in quite a graphic way that the TT is not for him He couldn't do it, that is personal choice.

But he hasn't said no-one else should, I think too much has been read into it.

But I am definately suspicious of the Manx Independant's motives, it's a non story that they have run at an emotive time.
Youth is wasted on the under forties !
05-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Website Find Reply
Carolynn Offline

Threads: 3

He also states he has friends who do it (the TT) and that he does watch it, but that he breaths a sigh of relief when it's all over.
Takes a big man to say he's scared of something, if you ask me.
06-01-2006, 12:34 AM
Website Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Absolutely Carolynn, but I would still like to know why the Independent ran the piece. It certainly wasn't to highlight positives. But then again I'm just an old cynic.
06-01-2006, 01:23 AM
Website Find Reply
Mark Edgeley Offline

Threads: 5

In response to Hilary M what is Neil supposed to do? He's asked a question about the TT should he refuse to answer? That would send out IMO a worse message than the response he gave. As long as he lives there he'll always be asked about it

I know when Neil first went to the island it was for tax purposes but I believe he's genuinely in love with the place now and has made many friends.

He's also a heck of a lot richer now than when he first moved to the IOM and could easily have gone elsewhere especially to warmer climbs.

If he starts getting the stick he claims Steve Hislop got when he lived there then don't be surprised if Neil decides to leave!
06-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

Ok,maybe I have read too much into it.I tend to do that nowadays as there have been so many TT riders in the past who have turned on the place.Hope I haven't offended too much.I guess the press can often take the blame,even the Manx press, as they simply love a bit of s**t stirring.I will try and calm down :?
06-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Find Reply
Carolynn Offline

Threads: 3

Charlie,

Sorry, I haven't read the Manx Independant article so I can't comment on that, but I'm sure I will read it next time I'm over at mum and dad's. I was just commenting on what I read in Neil Hodgeson's interview.
What he said about people's comments to Hizzy was awful too, but then, some people are clearly just moron's.
06-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
some more info
A former World Superbike champion resident on the Island has blasted the TT for being way too dangerous.

Neil Hodgson,who lives in Onchan,told the superbikeplanet website that he's not a fan of the races and is glad when they're over.

He also reveals in the interview that he witnessed racing legend Steve Hislop being abused by locals in a nightclub for turning his back on the TT.

Hodgson declares that racers know the consequences of tackling the course and taking part must mean more than life itself.

The safety of the TT has been called into question recently after a marshal and rider were killed during a race at last year's meeting.

energyradio
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
06-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Website Find Reply
Mike Crellin Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0

Mr H gave no interview to the Indie as is clear from this. They just cherry picked bits from the superbikeplanet article and presented them as contentiously as possible. Weasels. Still, that's what sells newspapers.

Read the whole interview as flagged above. I respect both his personal view point and his honestly. Just because I don't share the former, that doesn't make it any the less valid.
06-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Neil hasn't said or done anything wrong.

Some times people posting on boards really do have stumped.

I post a message about one of the most experienced and committed marshals on the Island resigning, a very serious issue for the TTMA and the races, and it is almost totally ignored.

The Manx Independent cobbles together a non story just to keep the poo stirred and you scream blue murder. Loosing highly experienced Chief Sector marshals is FAR MORE IMPORTANT AN ISSUE.
06-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Website Find Reply