The rider's TT experience
Barry Wood Offline

Threads: 5
post subject
There have been some excellent ideas already from Don and others. Try and get to interview some of the genuine enthusiastic road racers, who, as Don says, have competed at the TT for many years, and give up a great deal to do so, with no chance of ever climbing the steps of a TT rostrum. This breed may not be around much longer, if the ACU have their way, so grab the opportunity while you can!
There are many interesting people who are unseen and unheard who make up the fabric of both the TT and MGP. Get out to one of the pubs on the course and mix with the fans and talk to them. I stopped at the Creg with a blown engine during the last practice session of 2002. Although I was obviously depressed, I sat and watched the rest of the session on a roasting hot summers evening, as the sun slowly set like a ball of fire down behind Greeba Mountain, and the sounds and smells of the TT all around me, the sound of bikes on full noise down towards Brandish, a myriad of conversations in different accents, excellent rock music on the loud speakers, and the smells of food, beer, racing fuel and sun cream. Magical!
I know a man who is almost 80 now, he marshalled at the TT and MGP for over 50 years, and as a schoolboy, was in the auditions for "No Limit". I used to work with him on the Highway Board, and his job every year was setting up the sun warning lamps at Union Mills, Kirk Michael and wherever else they were required. He could tell you many an interesting yarn, and there are many others like him still around.
Have a chat with Ken Sprayson, he runs a FREE welding service for competitors in the paddock, and has done so since 1958! There are many other engineering workshops on the Island who are dedicated to doing jobs to keep riders machines' running during the two weeks; Phinik, Ballaconley, Steve Moynihan, Steam Packet and many more. Other small businesses are tied up doing spray jobs or repairing fibreglass fairings after practice crashes; making graphics and decals to satisfy last minute sponsors' requirements. Have a chat with one or two of the Douglas Scout Troops who will be on duty on the TT scoreboard on race days; The Joey Dunlop Foundation, who will be based this year in the Hailwood Centre behind the TT Grandstand--talk to them about their plans, plus there are lots of other local charities and church committees who raise much needed funds during the TT and the Manx.
Just as I said about the magic of the sunset on a Manx summer evening, and having a beer after practice out on the course somewhere, what about getting up very early in the morning, film the sunrise over Onchan Head at the north end of Douglas Bay, the fishing boats heading out to sea as the seacat or Ben-My-Chree comes in around 5.30am with another load of bikes and fans. Then you would be certain to catch a few words with bikers setting off from their digs around 6am for an early morning lap around the TT course on quiet roads.
Try to catch up with some of the long-serving fans that have been coming to the TT for many years. Every year now, the IOM Government, through Dept of Tourism & Leisure has a "prizegiving" ceremony to certain individuals who are nominated for an award, and some of them have been coming every year for well over 50 years. In fact, there are many people on the Island who can remember watching the TT races as youngsters in the 1920's, when the heroes were names like Woods, Handley, Guthrie, Bennett and Simpson. Lots of older Manx people could relate wonderful stories of the TT in years gone by.
I could go on and on, but I've suggested a few ideas. If you do go around the pubs on the circuit, I could suggest one or two not to bother with, as they are not TT supporters, but if you talk to people, you will soon be given good advice.
Finally, Cargo, I fully agree with your suggestion, but for now this gentleman's project is the TT. Hopefully if it turns out a success, he would be enthusiastic about returning to the Manx sometime, for a similar exercise?
24-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Tom Loughridge - 22-02-2006, 09:46 PM
The rider's TT experience - by leicesterweb - 21-02-2006, 11:35 AM
RE: The rider's TT experience - by ian huntly - 20-06-2010, 06:45 PM
[No subject] - by beetroot - 21-02-2006, 12:16 PM
[No subject] - by Don Simons - 21-02-2006, 12:32 PM
[No subject] - by MV - 21-02-2006, 02:06 PM
[No subject] - by larryd - 23-02-2006, 12:00 AM
[No subject] - by Tom Loughridge - 23-02-2006, 11:01 AM
[No subject] - by cargo - 23-02-2006, 12:48 PM