Conor Cummins for the TT
David Griffiths Offline

Threads: 19
Conor Cummins for the TT
It's been announced today that top Manx rider Conor Cummins is to make his TT debut this year. I must admit the news took me completely by surprise as I thought that Conor was a confirmed short-circuit man, but it's a very welcome boost to an already very impressive crop of newcomers this year. Best of luck to one of the nicest guys in the sport - I'm sure he will do very well.
16-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Another rider with no Road racing experience being thrown to the draggons, Jesus the TT needs men not boys that are still wet behind the ears. I hope hes turned down and allowed to mature a bit, hes young enough and has plenty of time on his hands
16-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Shaun Harris Offline

Threads: 48
Ahh
But FC, he is safe!!!!!
16-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Find Reply
Tel Offline

Threads: 6

Colin I beg to differ with you, I have been involved with Conor on and off for the last 3 years, he is a very competent rider and has been racing since 13 years old, Conor has taken advice from experienced riders and he will treat the course with respect.
I wish Conor a safe and fruitful debut, and hope he can silence knockers like yourself.
Oh and by the way Colin How old was Ian lougher when he finished second in his TT debut?
I rest my case'

Tel. :wink:
16-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Find Reply
Shaun Harris Offline

Connor
I meant no disrespect to Connor with my post to FC, I to believe Connor is a very talented rider and I wish him luck for a smooth debut, but where is the sense in letting in New Comers when old has beens are deemed NOT SAFE
16-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Find Reply
Tel Offline

my post was not aimed at you Shaun, we have met on several occasions when you rode for DTR and I signalled for you at ballacraine? Remember?
See you it the TT mate

Regards

Tel.
16-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Find Reply
Shaun Harris Offline

HI
Hey Tel, I do remember, that in part was why I clarified my comment
16-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Tell Im not knocking Connors ability as a rider, but would it not be a safer bet to let the lad get a few smaller road meetings under his belt first before doing the TT, he has plenty of time on his hands, why not let him do the smaller meetings and then try the MGP to cut his teeth so to speak.
Car parks and roads are two different animals and one has a bigger bite than the other, and as for Ian lougher how many road meetings did he do before the mountain Lol
17-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

sorry to i have to agree with Colin on this one after all whats the MGP for? i think Conner should try the the roads first but the TT no way.
17-03-2006, 05:47 PM
FC
Unregistered

pykey Wrote:sorry to i have to agree with Colin on this one after all whats the MGP for? i think Conner should try the the roads first but the TT no way.

And thats what quite a few other mates of Connors think to, learn to walk before you run.
17-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12

That's what almost every one of us did enter the Manx and walk the stepping stones rather than jump into the raging river.

The Amateur Manx Grand Prix, always acknowledged as the stepping stone to the TT.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
21-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, he wont be able to ride over the angled kerbs like both he and Jay Bellarrs-Smith used to do at Darley Moor. remember Jay Bellars-Smith, made his Road racing debut at the NW200, went over the edge of the road onto the rocks below, never been heard of since :!: :!:

I always used to make a point of riding ROUND the kerbs when I used to ride at Darley, I always thought that was what you were supposed to do :?: :?:
21-03-2006, 08:13 PM
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40

Ammo, Jay was racing at Pembrey this weekend, so he's back in the saddle. I believe the nearest thing he'd done to pure road racing before the NW200 was at Aberdare. I guess it does illustrate the point that hooning round a short circuit does not set you up properly for a major road race. Whole different ball game as we all know - apart from the gentlemen at Rugby it seems...
21-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Website Find Reply
shaun hogg Offline

Threads: 27

Is it not the riders choice to decide if he is able to take on the TT , there have been many who have gone straight into the TT by passing the Manx over the years . There have also been many who could have achieved greatness in the TT but stayed in the MGP .
Think he is mature enough to make his own decisions & being brought up here he will know the risks .
22-03-2006, 12:52 AM
Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58

Yes Shaun.

To be fair Les Shand last year was perhaps a good example, altho Les has perhaps had more racing experience than Connor. With the support that he was given prior to the event he knew what he was taking on.

cheers,
Stella

# 24
22-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Find Reply
David Griffiths Offline

Threads: 19

Interesting to read some of these comments again! I've been most impressed by the way Conor has approached practice so far, gradually building up his speeds lap by lap, being as smooth as possible and not pushing too hard. Despite riding well within himself, he is already up to over 116mph. I've seen him at several parts of the circuit, including tricky bits like Westwood and Milntown, and he's been absolutely spot-on. He's a sensible and very level-headed lad, and surely a future TT star in the making. And what makes it even better is that he's Manx! Big Grin
31-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Find Reply
Shaun Harris Offline

Kool
David Griffiths Wrote:Interesting to read some of these comments again! I've been most impressed by the way Conor has approached practice so far, gradually building up his speeds lap by lap, being as smooth as possible and not pushing too hard. Despite riding well within himself, he is already up to over 116mph. I've seen him at several parts of the circuit, including tricky bits like Westwood and Milntown, and he's been absolutely spot-on. He's a sensible and very level-headed lad, and surely a future TT star in the making. And what makes it even better is that he's Manx! Big Grin

Go well that man
31-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58

Yes respect to Connor good stuff from the youngster.

cheers,
Stella
31-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Find Reply
Tel Offline

Well glad to see some of the people who knocked Conor way back in march change there minds on Conors riding ability.
He has approached the TT practices very proffesionally and listened to the people who are helping him.
I think he will surprise a few on race day, and good luck to Conor and the team for the rest of the week.
31-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28

It is entirely in the hands of the ACU and the MMCC to make these critical decisions. It is a heavy responsiblity.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
01-06-2006, 02:52 AM
Find Reply