Start numbers ?
FC
Unregistered

Start numbers ?
A riders start number is supposed to be issued based on his best speed/performance at the TT, but once again it seems that the system has failed again or its been fiddled. Im just gone through the riders speeed and slower rider have been placed ahead of fast riders, stinks a bit and its taking the 'pee' out of other riders.
23-05-2006, 05:00 PM
David Griffiths Offline

Threads: 19

I haven't a clue where you are coming from on this, Colin. Having looked through all the start numbers I think the organisers have done an excellent, professional job in allocating the numbers according to ability and experience. Perhaps you were looking at a list from 2003, when it really was a 'numbers out of a hat' job!
23-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Find Reply
Phil Wain Offline

Threads: 5

Care to enlighten us Colin - which riders are you referring to?
23-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Find Reply
Labtec Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2

Jim Hodson.
24-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Carl Rennie his best ever lap i think is 119 yet they have placed faster riders behind him
24-05-2006, 05:12 PM
zx10 fan Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
start numbers
FC Wrote:Carl Rennie his best ever lap i think is 119 yet they have placed faster riders behind him

i suggest you read the times properley, his rider profile on tt.com says 119 but he has lapped at well over 120 on last years sector times.

last year when he ran over Paul Ducket he did over 121 and that was an out and an in lap also taking into account the slowing down speed lost in the incident we reakon it would have been about 123 to 124

I had a board out last year for Carl as a favour for one of my friends who was meant to be doing it but he was unable to stay for race week!!!

What you also have to take into account is Carl is riding factory superbike this year where as in the past its been superstock macinery!!

as we all know these bikes make a differance!!
26-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Find Reply
David Griffiths Offline

Threads: 19

Carl Rennie 7th on the final Superbike Practice Leaderboard, with a fastest lap of 123.89. Perhaps he should be moved UP from number 16!! Lol
03-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Find Reply
ade! Offline

Threads: 30

perhaps the dark horse for a podium?
good luck and ride safe all of ya's.
ade!
ACU? why not add "nt" to the end, you'll get the idea!
03-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Find Reply
zx10 fan Offline
Just Getting Started

FC fulll of ****
words come to me - wait till the fat lady sings

Carl Rennie Senior 6th place start number 16 now who's full of s**t !!! FC one thinks!!!

124.249 1st lap standing start!!!

Lap six 124.867 held up on road by Archie!!!

need we say anymore!!!!

i think ades picture says it all!
10-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Gary Carswell 10th on a bog standard bike starting from 18th also lapped atover 124
12-06-2006, 11:16 PM
zx10 fan Offline
Just Getting Started

exactly which lap did Gary do over 124?

his fastest lap in Senior was 123.982 lap 6 flying lap!!!

although good for a stocker!!!
13-06-2006, 03:05 AM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Gary also had the use of a tuned zx10, which would not do two laps on a 24lt tank, it would run out of fuel at the black hut, and it was the same story when we changed engines, what was that nice bit of fabrication on Carls tank, the rules say the tank must follow the shape of the standard tank as issued by the manufacturer, his was not.
Not the best of pics, maybe we could find a side on pic http://www.realroadracing.com/reports/20.../13/20.php
13-06-2006, 09:50 AM
zx10 fan Offline
Just Getting Started

As i've not seen the bike he used at the TT i cannot comment
although Lap times and start numbers were the issue of this thread
it seems the thread is lost!!!
13-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Find Reply
chinesespaceman Offline
Just Getting Started

Ha Ha, just came across this. Indeed slower riders did leapfrog faster riders in getting earlier start positions.

In the Superbike Race I had applied for an earlier number but was denied. I'll not go into the details, but if you take a look at who got moved up for the Superbike race and who they ride for and how much they had been paid to come to the TT, a picture starts to emerge.

I believe (and stand to be corrected) that one of these riders hadn't even qualified by the end of practice.....................Edmeades?

So the PR machine was in full flow.

Jim Hodson started behind me and i was 42, what a disgrace given Jim's experience, past results and pedigree, so inevitably he caught and passed me on the road (although we had 2 laps together) I hope I didn't slow him down too much.

I know they can't change evrybody about, otherwise the program becomes a farce, but it was all too obvious from the Superbike race where the changes came from. At least of the trio had the decency to look me in the eye even if a bit embarassed.

Let these decisons be based on performance and merit, not on who is in the "factory" paddock and who is not. We have seen the stark outcome of what happens when PR is allowed precedence over safety!!!!

Gavin
26-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

zx10 fan Wrote:exactly which lap did Gary do over 124?

his fastest lap in Senior was 123.982 lap 6 flying lap!!!

although good for a stocker!!!
And with a blown engine
26-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39

26-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Find Reply
chinesespaceman Offline
Just Getting Started

Point by Point Paul,

Jeremy is an extreme talent, absolutely unbelievable what he achieved, when I caught him a few times in practice, once early in the week and then on the Friday he was riding very smoothly and really seems to have taken a very sensible and safe approach to the circuit. A real star for the future.

No problem with Jeremy moving, but there were a few riders including the likes of John Burrows, Dan Stewart, Jim Hodson etc who all practiced and raced faster but did not get promoted.

My personal issue is that I had asked to get moved up and Neil seemed to take a very optimistic approach to this given my experience, record and times, then slower riders get moved up ahead..................

James Edmeades - I stand corrected (and not for the first time) but again why was he singled out to get a better start position given his placing on the leaderboard. (A rhetorical question that doesn't need an answer)

I agree and empathise that it will never please everyone and can really only be based upon the parameters you have stated, as I said to move loads about would confuse the hell out of Spectators. I spoke to Ray McCullough on the Tuesday evening of race week and he had missed me a couple of laps of the Superstock - because my number had been moved up to #29 :oops: :oops:

On a closing note I appreciate the help that you have given to myself and other riders over the years (mostly on the quiet) and this was not aimed at anyone personally, just a sign of the frustration that it causes amongst many of the riders.

We are better to have a chat about it sometime, I'd like to discuss some other matters relating to the TT and it's development for 2007.

Cheers

Gav
26-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Paul Phillips Wrote:Hi Gavin

For next year, I would like to see a set of numbers for practice based on previous speed, and a new set for race week based on qualifying positions and then there can be no arguments. Whether or not that is practical or acceptable is still to be investigated, and you will of course be consulted on such a change in due course Gav.

Paul

Am I having a wet dream or has Paul got something going on to shout about, if you get that passed the COC Paul Ill show my Ass in Burtons window Lol
27-06-2006, 11:31 AM