Peter Brock Aussie legend dies
thewitch
Unregistered

Peter Brock Aussie legend dies
Australian racing driver Peter Brock has died in a rally accident outside Perth this moring. I believe his car hit a tree. He was a legend in Australia, winning or making pole in more races tha any other driver. They called him "Peter Perfect".
It's been a bad week in Australia with the death of Steve Irwin the crocodile man, and also Australia's leading children's author, Colin Thiele, who wrote "Storm Boy", died this week.
08-09-2006, 10:30 AM
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

No doubt Don Simons will correct me if I'm out of order, but I believe that Brockie wasn't the best-loved Aussie national legend :?:
08-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16

Brocky was loved by most, Larry. His death is unbelievably difficult to accept. Three generations in my family adored him, my mother, myself and my daughter. Along with Steve Hislop's poster, Brocky's autographed poster to Justine hung proudly in our home. He made the news off the track recently when he and his partner separated but there are always two sides to every story and Peter is a legend, can't say anything negative about him. I believe he was one of the most popular Australians ever, even his competitors respected him.
We'll certainly miss you Brocky. RIP.
08-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Forgot to mention that the tragedy extends to Peter's co-driver/navigator, Mick Hone who I believe is badly injured. Mick is an ex motorcycle racer and owns a very successful motorcycle business in Sydney. I seem to recall watching Mick competing in our Castrol 6 hour races during the Wayne Gardner era.
08-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

I stand corrected, Jan.

Your mention of his partner rings a bell, and I believe that an Aussie we met at the Southern a couple of years ago left me with the impression that I quoted.

If I'm wrong, I apologise to his family and his memory.

:oops:
08-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28

Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
09-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Just saw Mick Hone interviewed. He's on the road to recovery. What caused the accident is still unknown. My thoughts today also go back to Gregg Hansford. One of the loveliest motorcycle racers we've produced and his tragic car crash. Yes, they were doing something they loved and as Mick Hone stated if it was a choice of cancer, heart attack or rally racing Peter would have chosen the latter for sure.
09-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Find Reply