Newbie to the TT for '07, help required...
Paddy_NL Offline

Threads: 2
Newbie to the TT for '07, help required...
Hi there!

As the topic-title reveils, I'm new to the Isle of Man. Actually, I'm completely new to the whole two-(and three-)wheel-scene. I can be found on circuits all over Europe quite often, but that's for the Endurance Series (on 4 wheels). Frankly speaking I know Jack Sh1t about motorbike racing, but I'm very willing to learn all about it. I understood the races start on the Monday, and go through untill Sunday. Must be all different categories I presume... [Image: icon_erm.gif]

My wife's mate from Bournemouth knew I always wanted to go to the Isle of Man, and this year he arranged for us the ferry crossing for next year. And basically that's all that's arranged. So we'll go to the IoM with the three of us (two Dutchies and one Southener), and haven't got a clue where to go, or what to expect. We presume that Douglas would be a handy place to camp nearby because at least there will be pubs, food and music. We do like our drinks (as my sig will reveil), and most preferrably to be consumed in bars with live (rock or blues) music.

Can somebody point out a campsite to us which will be not too far from the night time entertainment, as well as being quite close to the track?

Thanks in advance Smile
23-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Racing finishes on the Friday, but I'm sure you will find things to fill the remaining 2 days.
Go to http://www.isleofman.com/accommodation/ and look at the campsites. Many places are heavily booked because of the Centenary, but ring or email the sites here and see whatis available. If you need more advice, please post again...see you at the TT!
You have never seen anything like this!
23-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Paddy_NL Offline

24-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

To be honest, at this stage, I would get in touch with them all, as many are now completely full, and all will have a wide range of people, possibly different from previous years. The TT Grandstand one will not be available, as all the space at Noble's Park is used for competitors.
24-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Paddy_NL Offline

Have searched, found and booked with the Glenlough Farm, they seem to have quite a few spaces left for now.
Glenlough Campsite Wrote:Glenlough Farm is a family run Campsite situated on the TT course only three miles from Douglas.
Looks good to me. Close enough to the track, grandstands and Douglas is close enough for a minicab back to the site in the evening 8)

Thanks again for your help [Image: otay.gif]
24-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Close enough to walk home as I have many a time when my kids and I stayed there. Look forward to meeting you at the TT!
24-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Paddy_NL Offline

Sounds good! Will be close enough to the action and pubs by the sounds of it. As for meeting, sure! We'll probably have enough to talk about -or me to listen to as for the IoMTT.

As for myself, here (click) I am on the far right in the tire trolley at Le Mans last June, being picked up by the RfH-crew for a pitbox-visit. This (click) was our Friday night party at Le Mans in '06 (bluesband on the scaffolding), and this (click) was us cheering at the drivers before the start. I'm one of the organisers of that little annual party Big Grin
I will be travelling with this (click) old fart (25 years old now!), and I'll probably be towing a trailer to bring some beer from Holland Wink

We'll have some fun, no doubt! [Image: icon_mrgreen.gif]
24-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

I almost feel jealous of such an enthusiastic newbie.
To experince that first moment when a TT bike goes
past you so close and so fast!
No matter how muchyou think you are prepared, you wont be!
There are many spots on the course for a first experince.
But I would recommend outside the front door of the Sulby for
that first big shock!
I know it isnt a "technical" section, but it does it for me every time.
I enjoy that first fix on the first evening practice session.
I defy any newbie to avoid swearing when the first bike goes past...
Yes, I know there are better viewing points for so many reasons.
But Sulby (and the bottom of Bray of course!) take some beating.
If you are camping so close to Douglas, then do take in Bray Hill
at some stage.
25-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

And if you watch at the bottom of Bray, you will be a guest of the Witch and the very friendly marhals there!
25-09-2006, 11:50 AM
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

Shes right!
A great bunch of people!!

I hope we are drawing you a picture of a special event?
Hopefully, our "friendly witch" will be organising another
"TT Website get together" in Douglas, next year.
If she does, gat there!
It may not be a hugegathering, but one you will be glad you
joined in.
Whatever happens, enjoy.

MV
25-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Website Find Reply
Paddy_NL Offline

Thanks for the very warm welcome by the both of you Big Grin
Indeed I can do with some advise on viewing spots, so thanks for that! It sounds very tempting to go and see the action from different corners. Especially to go past the fence (is there any?) and get as close as possible. Cannot find Bray Hill on this map though [Image: newbie.gif][Image: icon_mrgreen.gif].
I will try and get to Sulby - but it looks like it's on the other side of the circuit though, will need some convinceing towards the others... [Image: icon_erm.gif]

So you recon grandstand tickets are a waist of money then?

And, meet in a pub in Douglas? What an excellent idea! [Image: icon_lol.gif]
25-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15

Bray Hill is exactly between numbers 1 & 2 on your map. I think you may be having a bit of trouble getting the sheer scope of the circuit into your head.....It is 37 3/4 miles round, and changes all the way round from the 'town streets' of the grandstand area, to the 'highway' to ballacraine, then the twisty country road....I could go on, but you would probably get the idea if you watch one of the excellent video laps filmed by a few great riders. It IS worth the trip out to Sulby, and Ramsey, and up the Mountain, and.....you will have a busy week!
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
26-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

26-09-2006, 10:58 PM
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15

There is some really good stuff on the link kindly provided by the witch. My personal favourite watching spots (apart from in the saddle!) were the Grandstand, Glen Helen, Sulby, the Gooseneck (my top choice!), and the Bungalow.
Remember to buy/take a radio, because it is difficult/impossible to follow the race without one, unless you are under a speaker, and it is obviously a tad difficult to put them all round this magnificent island circuit. You may not have gathered that the competitors start in pairs at ten second intervals between pairs, so it is a bit like a time trial - without commentary the only way you can tell who is doing better than another is if, say number 56 comes past followed by 32 and 45 - they are running in unknown positions but 56 leads 45 who leads 32..........clear as mud maybe!
As far as the circuit is concerned, think of Spa x 9, but with much more variation and you begin to get it! - :wink:
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
27-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Find Reply
Paddy_NL Offline

08-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Find Reply
Paddy_NL Offline

For other newbies - and veterans who might recognise themselves - there are a few very interesting films on You Tube Smile

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=is...n+tt&hl=en
31-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Find Reply