Sidecar Newcomers TT Weekend
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39
Sidecar Newcomers TT Weekend
16-11-2006, 01:45 AM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15

Now that is a positive move! Well done, whoever thought it up! Is the same sort of training available for prospective solo racers?
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
16-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Find Reply
Paul Phillips Offline

Yes - it's going on all the time. In fact we have four new solo guys here next weekend.

Paul
16-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

I assume this is 'open roads' training? An excellent idea - I just hope that the students are of a high standard to start with, but that should be a 'gimme' if they are prepared to invest the time and cost of getting there and taking part.
The last time I was able to get over for the races was a few years ago, and apart from my dismay at the changes to the course making it much more dangerous in my view, I was astonished at the low standard of riding of so many. I watched the 125s at the Gooseneck, and one rider (happened to be a girl, but no excuses there) from Portugal, persisted in staying to the left of the white line as if on normal roads - she did it on the way in, all round it, and on the way out! If someone has got that little idea about the basics of racing motorcycles, taking part in six or one thousand short-circuit races before coming over to the Island will not stop them endangering themselves and anyone else near them! Others were excessively slow, or erratic, and I can only assume that all the bumps and bends that have been removed enable real wankers to qualify by going fast on the straight bits!
What some riders will make of Hillberry with the near-removal of Brandish hardly bears thinking about................
16-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Find Reply
Paul Phillips Offline

Pete

I think you are a little out of touch.

Over the last two years since myself and former TT winner Milky Quayle have been involved in the recruitment side of the TT, the riding standards have risen considerably.

We have brought around 30 riders to the event in that time all of whom have perforomed with distinction. One of our 'finds' in 2005 - Cameron Donald actually finished second this year and is already the third fastest rider ever around the circuit. Before this year only two riders had ever lapped at over 120mph as newcomers. This year three riders managed that alone (Jeremy Toye USA, Conor Cummins IoM and Mark Buckley SCO) with several others going very close.

The standards are aknowledged as being higher than ever at the TT overall, with this years racing being the closest statistically ever and during our time being involved in the event the slowest riders are now lapping around 15 or so mph faster than in 2004 - a massive improvement safety wise.

As for the riders coming next weekend - they are all good - very good and will all perform well on their debut's. Between them, they have three British Championship titles, numerous wins and podiums at British Championship level and very impressive performances at the North West 200. And they are just the start of a very, very strong bunch for 2007.

Paul
16-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

[quote]"I think you are a little out of touch. "[quote]
Fair enough, Paul - it was an easy task to improve things from the low level they were at on my visit - except it was still possible to hear a strange noise still then - a proper racing motorcycle.........
16-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40

Peter, in an interview in the latest TT Supporter's Club magazine Paul stated that there will NEVER be a 250 British championship aligned to the BSB meaning that proper race bikes won't be seen at the TT again. As reported elsewhere on this site, the ACU (who should be applauded for this) have granted British championship status to the 250s as part of their new iniative. Hopefully everyone (riders and spectators) will get behind this and allied to the efforts of the Gary Dynes foundation in Ulster, the 250s might re-appear some time.

In fairness to Paul (and Milky's) efforts, the standard of newcomer has noticeably improved in the last two years. All we need to do now is get a bit of variety into the classes and the job's a good 'un!
17-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Website Find Reply