TT Course Alterations.
thewitch
Unregistered

No worries.
By the way, one of our contributors started a storm one April 1st, when he posted that the ACU/MMCC had decided, in the interests of safety, to cut out Governor's Bridge. It was very plausibly put and caught a few people out!
28-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16

I believe the most important thing to John McGuinness is lapping in times to finish and win....not to break the 130 mph.
28-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Find Reply
Rocket Man Offline

Threads: 13

Jan Grainger Wrote:I believe the most important thing to John McGuinness is lapping in times to finish and win....not to break the 130 mph.
Agreed. But, to be the first to break the 130mph barrier will not be far from his mind.
I reckon, with the right conditions and the course improvements we could be looking at 132mph plus.
28-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24

If ever a thread needed pulling - this is it.

Started with a civilised question - then for no reason - degenerated into accusations and insults - no need.

Happy New Year

Sam
28-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15

Look, lads and lasses - I have re-read all this thread, and fail to see anything that I or others have put that I would classify as an insult or accusation. I merely thought that Rocket Man (a good pseudonym for Elton John, that would be....) made a valid point, and that the answer was avoided. Maybe my style can appear aggresive, but if you liberally sprinkle it with "nudge nudge, wink wink" and imagine the twinkle in my eye, you will get a better idea of how I am trying to say things. I did think this was a forum for grown-ups, not sensitive little children (nudge nudge, wink wink).
All that has been said, here and previously, about the importance of who wins rather than how fast they went to do so is perfectly valid, but straightaway Rocket Man comes back and starts talking (as most fans and probably riders will) about 130mph or 132 being done etc....unless the length of the course is known, this talk has absolutely no validity!
A note to the Witch and the other moderators - if you would rather that what you want here are anodyne pats on the back about everything, just say so. In my view, the only way things ever get better is if opinions about what can be improved are aired and acted upon.
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
29-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

A final word on accurate measurement of the TT course. Just watched a TV programme which said it is more economic to tour Australia anti-clockwise, as, over the 12,000+ miles, by travelling on the inside lane you save 60 miles.....same continent, less miles...
29-12-2006, 04:27 PM
crazy blanket Offline

Threads: 41

I too have read and re-read this thread and can only suggest to Peter that if it's that important to 'validate' or 'question' certain things, it may be a better idea to air this request at the doors of folk who can take onboard the subject matter...not on a forum where discussion and banter are the main ingredient.

All too often valid points are wasted at the wrong table.... not because they are not worth talking about...more to do with the fact that the majority at the table done give a flying f*ck, which is a bit sad but there ye go.

Oh and before I forget, if taking it to the door of Paul Phillips was an attempt at aiming this suggestion to the proper 'door', then it could have been done in an email or pm.... this 'public' approach can and will only incite defensive or hostile response from Paul and all who read..... just my opinion :wink:

Happy New Year 8)
29-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

I've avoided this topic so far but now it has taken an interesting turn.

One of the problems with posting on forums is that the tone of voice in a written opinion is lost. It is very easy to take something the wrong way.
Believe me I know. making use of the little emoticions can help but in truth the best way is to speak to people face to face.

Can I reccomed to all that Skype is a great way of actually talking to someone. It's free and you can even see the person your talking to if you have a camera.

I'm sure crazy blanket will agree that I'm not the ogre he thought I was before he actually spoke to me :wink:

As for course length.....it is a disappointment that the course is getting shorter that means less fun in my mind. Interestingly racing must be the only sport in which the better you do at it the less time you actually get doing it. :shock:
For me it's the time taken for a lap that is important not the speed.
My personal target is to break 21 minutes on my 600 and 22.38 on the 400. Those figures are burned into my memory. Maybe the changes will help Big Grin
29-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24

The TT course is a live road.

It's features have changed almost every year since the racing started - by remodelling or re-surfacing (smoothing). Are we going to go back and retrospectively assign a lap record for each year?

I'll answer this one - no.

Therefore is there any point in remeasuring it now?

Me again - Not really.

Would it be interesting - possibly - but it's a virtual irrelevance.

FYI - This topic is raised about once every 3-6 months - usually by David Griffiths. The last time, Irish Ago said he tried to measure it with his oedometer and found it to be a bit longer than stated.

Also FYI - a road is measured along the centreline.

The TT is unique and has many idiosyncrasies - which is what makes it a fantastic event. The changing nature of the course is a small part of it. The major advances have been in machines - not in the course.

And finally - Paul Phillips is an excellent contributor to any road racing / TT forum. For reasons I cannot fathom he still comes back here only to be met by the sort of rudeness that he got once again. It may just be that being rude and calling it wit is your style (nudge wink :roll: ) but eventually all of us who use the forum will be the losers if Paul stops posting.

Sam Paterson
30-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Find Reply
crazy blanket Offline

Threads: 41

"I'm sure crazy blanket will agree that I'm not the ogre he thought I was before he actually spoke to me"

Lol Lol Lol Aye yer right cargo....you're just a big softie really :wink:
30-12-2006, 02:16 AM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

Do we at this point say "Ho ho ho", or do we go "Bah humbug" :?: :?: :?:

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
30-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Find Reply
Fitz Offline
Fitzjnr

Cargo, do I search for you under Cargo on Skype?
30-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Fitz I did once have you as one of my skype contacts but lost it when the computer went "funny"
Also I had to reregister on skype anyway for you and anyone one else with skype my user name is

number96cargo
30-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Fitz Offline
Fitzjnr

Found you Lol

Yer Slack F**K
30-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Find Reply