The TT - it's come a long way!
crazy blanket Offline

Threads: 41

To be fair Peter...the R6 cup wasn't all about that viewpoint....neither was it boring or repetitive Lol

(damnation - did I just come across as a fan of carpark racin' :oops: )
11-02-2007, 02:06 AM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15

R6 cup, one-make events - all can be great fun where you can see the whole circuit (or nearly) like Mallory Park or Brands Hatch short-circuit. Some of the most entertaining racing I ever saw was the "Despatch Riders' Destruction Derby" - the LC350 races, with a certain Hill, D taking part!
My point is that at the TT no-one sees a race - you see motorcycles being ridden skillfully and fast on whichever challenging section you watch at. I used to love watching from around the Bungalow, where you can glimpse a rider approaching round the Veranda, then burst into view, cross the tramlines and disappear up what is now Hailwood Rise (?). It was the same at the Gooseneck - Manx Radio told you who was at the Hairpin, then you saw a rider - or sometimes two or three, sweep up towards you, round the turn and off up the Mountain, often getting signals at the same point.
When it could have been a 350 yamaha, or a 4-cylinder Benelli, or a 3-cylinder Mv or a......you could compare how they handled, braked, and revel in the wonderful sounds. Nowadays it is more like a higher-class Mad Sunday, with less traffic!
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
11-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Find Reply
Beatster Offline

Threads: 0

Pete where does all this Honda, Honda, Honda come from?

Ok, so Honda have invested in a lot of effort in recruiting for this years TT but don't forget we've got a certain Mr Rutter making his comeback in a green machinealong with Ray Porter, Bruce Anstey on a Suzuki and the 2 manx lads pushing on Yamaha's.

Maybe an MV will be heard by a few people during the 2 weeks.

2000-2005, was this dominated by Hondas? Thought it was Suzuki's and then Yamahas.

The MGP will be the place to listen to bikes that aren't competitive but as has been said many a time before now, the TT needs to be competitive to interest the worlds manufacturers and media. So lads (and lasses) go for the best there is.

Would you rather the TT change and survive or go back to the way it was and roll over and die. If it does then websites like this won't be far behind them, probably :shock:
11-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Beatster Wrote:Pete where does all this Honda, Honda, Honda come from?
Nothing against Honda, Beatster - simply picked one make as an illustration of lack of variety. There will, I am sure, be someone who can reel off the statistics of starters & finishers by make. It is not then number of one, so much as the lack of variety altogether, and the lack of racing machinery.
12-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Find Reply
Beatster Offline

Threads: 0

No worries Peter :wink:

It's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Variety vs Competition. I agree we need both but it can't go back to 5-6 mins between each rider and 30 min between 1st and last.

Good posts and not getting too viciuos Lol
12-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40

To add a bit more fuel to this fire, on the subject of either a twins/triples or European TT, I noticed in M*N (It's ok, I just looked, didn't buy it and washed my hands afterwards!) that backed by some serious Chinese money, Benelli plan to build both a 1000cc V6 and a 600cc 4. I know it's pie in the sky at the moment but who wouldn't want to see and hear a V6 on the TT Course?

And in reply to the previous post, here are lies, damned lies and statistics :wink: . If you look at the stats from last year most races had around 20 minutes between first and last, and just with all previous years, that alone doesn't tell the story. A rider may have stopped to 'make adjustments'...

Paul, if you've shaken off your lurgy, how about some comment on the twins/triples/european thing?
14-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Website Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Can't help but notice that there has not been the promised measured response to this thread from Paul Philips - are you better now m'boy?
Thrilling MotoGP today, what a tragedy that past mistakes have meant that there is no chance of ever seeing these state-of-the-art racing machines on the Island. It is interesting to not that this site has news of WSBK and British Superbikes, but nothing on "proper" racing............... :shock:
11-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Find Reply