Mountain Road One Way - Confirmed
samwise Offline

Threads: 4
Mountain Road One Way - Confirmed
It has been confirmed that it will be going ahead - see IOM Online article:

Quote:ONE-WAY MOUNTAIN ROAD FOR TT
TRANSPORT chiefs have confirmed proposals to make the Mountain Road one-way for the TT will go ahead.
The controversial plan, put forward by the Department of Transport and the Department of Home Affairs, was sent out for consultation and, following that, it has been decided to go ahead.

Home Affairs Minister Martyn Quayle said: 'There was a total of 83 responses to the consultation, which was undertaken to gather public views before the final decision was taken.

'Various comments were expressed with respondents pretty evenly split for and against the proposal.

'On balance, however, our priority has to be public safety and I am pleased that the Council of Ministers has endorsed the joint recommendation from the Departments of Transport and Home Affairs, and the Emergency Services, to make the Mountain Road section of the TT course, from the Ramsey Hairpin to the Creg-ny-Baa, one way for the duration of the 2007 TT festival.'
10-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

OK - how many dead, you reckon :?:

:roll:
10-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Find Reply
Fitz Offline
Fitzjnr

Threads: 15

WTF sort of comment is that Larry? I would have thought better from you Sad

Hopefully there will be none, however IF there is at least we will be able to say it was not some innocent on their way home from Douglas to Ramsey at 5pm getting hit head on!

I can think of at least one person that would be alive now had that been the case a couple of years back.

No decision taken is ever going to be the right one to some people when someone is killed and there will always be lessons to be learned but really Larry, that comment disappoints me.
10-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

I just wonder what the long suffering Manx people really think.
I hope that as a road safety measure, it works well.
Yes Fitz, I am sure you are right about the bad luck of meeting some body head on.
I was also personally concerned about the confusion of the on and of
one way arrangements on race days.
What do the taxi drivers think, Fitz.
Am I being alarmist in suggesting that road safety on the coast road could be compromised?

MV
10-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Website Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63

I hope that the same "Transport Chiefs" have worked out how to get TT Marshals into place then home again, within the day. By helicopter seems the only option, unless they are running a convoy of high speed buses. There aren't going to be many that will be able to finish their day's work and volunteer to marshal on the Mountain at every evening practice in the new circumstances.
10-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

Sorry Fitz, but knowing what the civilians can do in two-way traffic, I shudder to think what will happen when they have the full road to play on.

At least we will be spared the annual "head-on" toll, but will the last state be worst than the first?

That's "what sort of comment that is" - I hope to God I'm wrong, but I'll tell you this - I'll be in the Billown paddock from May 23rd to Sunday June 4th, but I won't be doing my annual Mountain lap!!
10-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Find Reply
Fitz Offline
Fitzjnr

I don't disagree with what might happen given a one way road Larry so I do take your point there but as I have a PM from you I will come back directly :wink:

Don't worry Helen, I promise to 'Play Nice' with Larry....afterall we might all be on the same Early Morning Practise huh? Lol
11-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Find Reply
Fitz Offline
Fitzjnr

Morning MV I hope you and the good lady are well?

To answer your questions, although speaking for myself only here. I am sure the people of the IOM will find this a huge pain in the backside as being a 'Part Time' Taxi Driver I hear all the comments.

However, if we ran a parallel universe for the fortnight and a local (or anyone else for that matter) had seen their or a family members life saved by the measures then I am sure the comments would be different.

As I said to Larry, no solution is perfect however if the Mountain Road were two way and the death toll happened to be huge the comments would be 'Why was it not made one way?'

At the end of the day the only part of the IOM to be one way for the fortnight is Ramsey to the Creg and there are plenty of beautiful roads on the IOM to drive to get home.

The only people that I would really think would be upset are those living in Ramsey and working in Douglas. However the IOM Govt / Police / Newspapers have been asking offices to consider letting members of staff start/leave early to try to calm things further.

Again the only Taxi Drivers I can see being bothered are those based in Ramsey and coming to Douglas when they have to return the coast road but in all honesty the disctance is really not that much more and the time to travel on the coast raod is 10 mins longer tops (unless your name is Fitz or Wood)

The other drivers, I am sure would be happy with the extra mile of two on the fare

John F,

I am sure there won't be a fleet of high speed buses, however I can get you the number of a good taxi :wink
11-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12

I JUST HOPE THEY HAVE 24/7 TOTAL POLICE SATURATION OR I THINK LARRY COULD BE RIGHT, THE NUMPTIES WILL GO MENTAL IF THEY THINK IT'S ONE WAY FOR THE BENEFIT OF THEM GOING AS FAST AS THEY CAN.

THE ROAD FROM THE START TO RAMSEY WITH THEM ALL FRANTICALLY CHARGING AROUND FOR ANOTHER BLAST OVER THE MOUNTAIN, COULD BE THE REAL BATTLEFIELD. WHATEVER EVER THEY DO, ONE WAY OR NOT THERE WILL BE THE STUPID SELFISH NUTTERS WILL WHO PUT THEIR AND OTHERS NEXT AT RISK. YOUR DAMNED IF YOU DO AND DAMNED IF YOU DON'T

THE MERSEYBEAT DODGEPOT CULVERHOUSE IS GONNA HAVE TO REALLY GET HIS ACT TOGETHER ON THIS ONE.

A HARD ONE TO CALL.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
11-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Find Reply
ZZR600 Offline

Threads: 0

larryd Wrote:OK - how many dead, you reckon :?:

OK larryd. Let's imagine for a moment that you are the person actually responsible for the safety of the TT visitors this year. Not someone sitting behind a computer screen posting smartarse comments, but the person actually responsible for making decisions relating to the road safety of 50 thousand bikers during the TT. The buck stops squarely with you, and you alone. If you make a decision that, in hindsight, costs lives, you will be hung out to dry in public. It's your call. What would you do?
11-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Enuff all right. Larry did not mean the decision was wrong.. he has made it clear he was talking about the attitude of some of the people who think a trip to the Isle of man is a licence to ride/drive like maniacs, and take the view that it is THEIR Island and locals can go to huddersfield..
If all visitors behaved we wouldn't need any of these measures, but I think, all in all, it is the best option.
11-04-2007, 03:32 PM
FC
Unregistered

I can remember the bike rider being killed by the medics driving the wrong way over the mountain. I also rember the fuc**ing Manx Idoit car drivers racing over the mountain on mad sunday and after the roads hve just opened :twisted:
12-04-2007, 05:47 PM
sticky Online
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40

)
ZZR600 Wrote:
larryd Wrote:OK - how many dead, you reckon :?:

OK larryd. Let's imagine for a moment that you are the person actually responsible for the safety of the TT visitors this year. Not someone sitting behind a computer screen posting smartarse comments, but the person actually responsible for making decisions relating to the road safety of 50 thousand bikers during the TT. The buck stops squarely with you, and you alone. If you make a decision that, in hindsight, costs lives, you will be hung out to dry in public. It's your call. What would you do?

Forgive me if you already know this ZZR, but Larry is a hugely experienced racer, so he knows a thing or two about going fast (ish :wink: ) Also, I have to say that when I first heard about this, my gut feeling was 'how big is the body count going to be?' and I posted as such on another forum.

I think this is a very poor decision which will upset a significant number of residents (many of whom, don't forget, are not Manx and have no love of the TT). It also, in my opinion, panders to the idiot fringe that have frankly been a blight on the TT in recent years.

The volume of visitors this year will be no greater (and in fact probably smaller) than was comfortably coped with in the 70s & 80s without the need for knee jerk reactions. Perhaps people just had more consideration for eachother back then...

I think it'll go one of two ways: It will either be more congested than the M25 at rush hour and no-one will get a decent go, or it will be littered with the wreckage of people with more optimism than ability. I hope I'm wrong.
12-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Website Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40

I agree 100% with 'sticky' and my feelings are well documented

................."the lunatics are taking over the asylum" Sad

There will be far less bikes (and spectators) at the "Centenary" than 25-30 years ago; and the police coped then with Ford Anglias' and push bikes.

The roads are now conciderably busier than back then, so the average speed of general traffic is lower. Why inconvenience the Manx people/residents using the Douglas-Ramsey-Douglas routes ? Unless this is a politically motivated decision, designed to motivate the "Anti TT" brigade.

I pity all the "northerners" trying to get back from Douglas to Laxey, Ramsey, Jurby etc; on the coast road, every evening, for a fortnight. Why didn't they just cone of more of the mountain section ? Especially in the light of the "24/7 blanket police coverage" they are trumpeting.

This will make the TT a very popular event with them. . . . NOT

....and if the worst does happen can you imagine the headlines in the 'red top rags' ?
Youth is wasted on the under forties !
12-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Website Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

Charlie, I am with you!
I guess my "pussy footing" comments were not strong enough.
There have been days in recent years when I have been on the course in race week and really wished I hadnt been.
Pamela and i were on our bikes close to each other and not going especially slow.
We were using intercoms.
This is relevant because I was able to hear Pamelas cries of disbelief.
We were both touched by passing idiots...
The standard of riding was not only appaling, but was very intimidating.
If anyone reading this recognises themselves from my comments?
GROW UP....
As I have mentioned here before, Pamela and I were out in a car and came upon one who didnt make it. The incident was at the top of Barregarow and has been documented. The Police esimate his speed at the point of impact with a Highways board vehicle as 150+ mph.
Pamela got out of the car to do first aid..... how sad
The TT dos not need these people (or at least their uncontrolled behaviour), and yet, the Isle of Man Authorities are pandering to them...........aaaargh.

Sorry , rant over.
But I am sincere......

Its a bad idea.

MV
12-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Website Find Reply
jasjas Offline

Threads: 12
Mountain Road One Way confimred
Yes, FC, I remember a car load of 4 octogenarians taking a look over the mountain one Mad Sunday at about 35mph. Crazy, but yet they pay their taxes so why not use the roads. Two sides to every argument. For Mad Sunday I prefer Shank's Pony across the hills to the Bungalow. Bike safely left at home as it will be this year - can't keep up with those sport of speeds and never will.
12-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Would it be any better if they could go both ways... I think not. I saw a fatal at MGP time near Barregarroo... no cars... two bikes, one dead rider, and then another on the road to Laxey...that was in the 70s. Sorry, but I think it is the idiots who are the problem not the people who have at least tried to keep them all going the same direction. They are guests on the Island (mostly) and should behave accordingly... but they don't.
12-04-2007, 11:34 PM
FC
Unregistered

Re: Mountain Road One Way confimred
jasjas Wrote:Yes, FC, I remember a car load of 4 octogenarians taking a look over the mountain one Mad Sunday at about 35mph. Crazy, but yet they pay their taxes so why not use the roads. Two sides to every argument. For Mad Sunday I prefer Shank's Pony across the hills to the Bungalow. Bike safely left at home as it will be this year - can't keep up with those sport of speeds and never will.

What about the idiots that try to overtake speeding bikes
13-04-2007, 04:56 PM