Administrator

Threads: 18,390

17-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
NO..
...And we got all that NW200 streaming for free.

I have heard there is a word spelt "B-O-Y-C-O-T-T" but I think he was a famous cricketer !!
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
17-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Website Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16

Suppose we should be thankful they have not thought of a way of charging us for tuning into the commentary on our pocket radios :roll: :roll: :roll:
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
17-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

They have, its called Steam Packet!!

MV
17-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Website Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

They may be breaking the law, Manx Radio is Government controlled and is paid for out of Manx Taxpayers money, I would have thought to let Manx Radio charge would have to go before the Government. Will the companies that pay for add space on radio TT be happy with this little scam :twisted:
17-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Over here its good reception thats thats Cheshire Nwales and even as far south as Nantwich, as for charging well how low can you stoop?
18-05-2007, 08:12 AM
samwise Offline

Threads: 4

FC Wrote:They may be breaking the law, Manx Radio is Government controlled and is paid for out of Manx Taxpayers money, I would have thought to let Manx Radio charge would have to go before the Government. Will the companies that pay for add space on radio TT be happy with this little scam :twisted:

Part-paid for out of the Manx taxpayers pocket, but also part funded by advertising.
18-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Website Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24

Whilst I fully acept that the moderators are supposed to wipe any positive postings outside birthday/aniversary wishes and get well soons.

I'm over the moon that I can avoid the pot luck of getting on line and that the brilliant split timing and live comentary will be as good as it gets'

to quote one of my TT heros Nigel 'Cap' Davies "I'm 'appy"

Appologies

Sam
18-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14

Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
18-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Nearly 20 years ago we used to be able to listen to the Manx Radio coverage on the phone. I used to have friends round, and we would take turns listening and relaying it to the rest! Anyone else remember that?
It was expensive, but I even accessed it in 1989 (?) to get reports from a call box in Brittany.
So... the idea that it always has been, and always should be free isn't accurate. I don't mind paying for that sort of service. It costs to provide it, so someone has to pay... why would it be the Manx taxpayer? (oops... I'm one now... self-interest here???)Surely Manx Radio is only funded to provide radio coverage, and to the Island at that?
18-05-2007, 05:27 PM
mikec Offline

Threads: 6

Hi helen,
Hope you dont mind me pointining some things out?

"So... the idea that it always has been, and always should be free isn't accurate. I don't mind paying for that sort of service. It costs to provide it, so someone has to pay... why would it be the Manx taxpayer?"

For the last 5 years since moving from the island ive been able to listen to manx radio/radio tt,Free of charge 24/7 if i wanted to,
Why now do they decide to charge for something when its been free,for so long,

"why would it be the Manx taxpayer? (oops... I'm one now... self-interest here???)Surely Manx Radio is only funded to provide radio coverage, and to the Island at that?"

2 points to pull up on your last quote,
Why didnt manx radio give people the choice,
Take your chance with what you have been getting from us for the last x amount of years,, or pay for the enhanced sevice via duke,
Its seems as if you have settled into island lifestyle,
Dont upset the status quo Lol
& when you have paid as much indirect tax as most manx people have over the years, then you can call yourself a proper manxie Lol

Bring back the Mannin line with Dorothy from peel, she would sort things out Smile

all the best
mike
18-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Speaking on behalf of all of those of us who have been disconnected mid race after staying up half the night.

It's a gift

8GBP or the existing intermittent connection hmmmmmm not a hard decision.

Sam
21-05-2007, 03:47 AM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16

Hi Sam,
So there's no other way of listening in....like we used to down under. You have to make a booking, eh. I wonder if you would still be guaranteed a connection which would not drop out. I never had many problems in the past however I am getting a new computer tomorrow just to make sure so I suppose I will have no option but to pay for the privilege of listening to Radio TT. I hope the money goes towards supporting the TT.
21-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

G'day Jan,

You obviously had more luck with your connections than me!

$20- isn't even a case of lites - bargain.

Plus the live timing and the other stuff.

I'm chuffed to buttons

Sam
21-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Find Reply
mikec Offline

Threads: 6

Hi jan
well said,
Smile "So there's no other way of listening in....like we used to down under. You have to make a booking, eh. I wonder if you would still be guaranteed a connection which would not drop out. I never had many problems in the past however I am getting a new computer tomorrow just to make sure so I suppose I will have no option but to pay for the privilege of listening to Radio TT. I hope the money goes towards supporting the TT. "

Bottom line,
Are we all going to be assured the link up?
Most people will pay for it like i will do, because they love to listen to the TT coverage where ever they are in the world,

& where is the money going to go?
Any profits from this should go to the Joey Dunlop Foundation/Helicopter fund etc,
Not to line somebodys back pocket :wink:

Roll on the weekend,
Got the practises to listen to for free Big Grin

All the best
Mike
21-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Find Reply