Threads: 55

Oh, I also worked forAirfix!!

Sorry, back to midges....

MV
26-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Caithness midgies were as big as seagulls with teeth like sharks... must be all those peaty, dark pools.
26-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16

I think the love of motorcycles and planes sometimes goes hand in hand. I was fortunate enough to stand (very close) to a Harrier Jump jet whilst it was on display in Australia. The most fantastic experience (apart from the TT) and managed to visit the Spitfire and Hurricane museum in Kent last year. We once went to check out the Whitby Jet....only to discover it was a piece of black stone.....Seriously. lol
26-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58

Jan i remember a harrier jump jet hovering over the crowd at brands hatch world superbikes a good few years ago then it bowed to us all and flew past totally amazing and the noise was incredeable ! as was the crowd reaction Lol
26-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63

My Mother spent most of the (2nd) World War in the RAF. She did a lot of work at Lancaster bases, but a lot of it involved packing parachutes.

During my time in the North East of Scotland I had several visits to RAF Lossiemouth. During one visit we were shown around a Shackleton. Within weeks this sad news broke:
"Mr. Hamilton : It is with much regret that I have to confirm to the House that an RAF Shackleton airborne early warning aircraft based at RAF Lossiemouth, crashed on a hillside near Northton on the isle of Harris in the Outer Hebrides yesterday afternoon around 12.30 pm. Tragically, all 10 RAF personnel on board the aircraft were killed. I am sure that the House will join me in extending our deepest sympathy to the families of those concerned."

I believe that the Shackleton was a "descendant" of the Lancaster, and my memory of it was that there was precious little evidence of technological evolution on board.

I was also at Lossiemouth when a lot of Buccaneers took off. The national news next day carried coverage their raids in the Gulf War, which explained what they were up to.

My niece is now stationed at RAF Lossiemouth, and sees a lot of action in the local pubs.

[img]http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/pics/gulfwar/bucs/Buccaneer%20S.2B%20'E'%20Take%20offxx.jpg[/img]
26-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

I'm sure you'll appreciate the familiar name on the Buccaneer when we zoom in!
[img]http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/pics/gulfwar/bucs/Buccaneer%20S.2B%20XV863%20'S'%20Sea%20Witch.jpg[/img]
26-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I was an anorak even as a child and have, in the scrapbook mentioned before, various pictures and specifications for the Blackburn NA39... the prototype of the Buccaneer... however, the picture and spec above do not resemble me.. Debbie must be another silly witch.
27-07-2007, 06:13 AM
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Helen, I think you are being modest!

Yes, the love of bikes and planes DOES go side by side, often.
You only had to see the TT paddock "frozen in time" during the Red Arrows this year to know that.

As for being there to see impressive planes, I will never forget being at
Farnborough when an English Electric P1B (later the Lightning) got to the end of the runway and went vertical in a flash,climbing like a Saturn rocket. Absolutely stunning.
So many memories of planes and bikes.

MV
27-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Website Find Reply
John Foster Offline

They go together at the Goodwood Revival Meeting next month. I'll be there again, but I know someone who has a spare weekend ticket for sale at a reduced price. Contact me for details.

[Image: 032.jpg]
[Image: f_goodtime.jpg]
[Image: sheene.jpg]
27-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

I eep saying I will go but August tends to be so busy!
Not far from here, either!

MV
27-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Website Find Reply
balin Offline

Threads: 10

I've a few pix from the Battle of Britain over Douglas Bay at:

http://web.mac.com/balrog4/iWeb/Site/Bat...Flyby.html

Despite several attempts I can't get the [img] tags to work, hence the URL post :-)
27-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Find Reply