Trivia
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Trivia
I came on tonight to post a little Trivia for the likes of Larry and co. Then I saw the manslaughter posting, and I immediately felt heavy hearted. How come this isn't just an unfortunate and terribly tragic accident, which we must obviously learn from? Did someone other than the rider make a mistake? If so, how come all the other riders managed to ride round the corner throughout the whole of TT period? Riders HAVE crashed there before, but mistakes and engine failure happen.
I crashed at Greeba Castle in 1997 when a gearbox seized. I still suffer daily from the effects of the crash, but it has never crossed my mind to pursue litigation regarding the gearbox. My God! Sometimes I hate the state of this nation. In Bradford the Police are not allowed to chase anyone on a bike who is not wearing a helmet. What are all the, well what is the word for them, lower end of society doing now? Charging round Bradford on MX bikes, no plates etc etc, no helmets, since they cannot be chased, in case it infringes their human rights if they crash and hurt their delicate little heads. begger that! What about the lives they are endangering by charging round on illegal bikes that have no MOT?
Anyway I was very sad to read the headline. Now on to the Trivia, which will prove that you've read this!
Which World Speedway champion competed in the MGP? Piece of cake Larry, and I'm expecting Ian to be right in there too.
Finally the Trivia on your home page referring to my nephew DJ is no longer accurate. I think that Steve Plater is the fastest Newcomer as of this year, what was the speed? I think it was 125mph, truly amazing.
31-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23

I am sure this is wrong but are talking about the era of Joe Francis and co.

Go on give us a clue.
31-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

Agree with everything you say Nick, especially "learn from it".

If they are digging out the bank on the outside exit from the 26th, to what purpose??

If it were me, I would simply lengthen and deepen the prohibited area on the outside of the way out, thus recognising what has been tragically demonstrated - modern machinery, at modern speeds, gets up and flies one hell of a long way . . . . . . .

As to the Speedway/MGP puzzler, my initial thought was Ove Fundin, but it's not him.

Sorry, this anorak is defeated.

I suppose I could go into the lists of World Champions, and cross-check against the MGP database, but that would almost be cheating :!: :!:

:?

Ian :?:
31-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147

Eric Langton, who finished second in the 1936 speedway W/c rode the TT on a Scott
Bert Kitchen?
Tommy Price was due to ride, I have a picture of him astride a Norton, but he does not feature in the database; wasn't Norman Price related?
01-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Trivia
Ah Larry, not Ove Fundin. nor was it the Joe Francis era.But both good efforts. A clue: 1950's.
Back to the course. Do you remember my comments re Brandish and Windy? What is it about these clowns that makes them think that opening out the corner will ensure safer racing, plus safer normal road use? The clowns being the Highway Board. I don't think the Manx Club are having much say in the road improvements. And re the 26th issue, we're not going to get any comment from the Club if it becomes sub judice.
If we're not careful it will be issues such as this that finally turn the screw on racing on our beloved and sacred isle.
It is hardly an arguement, and I hate to mention it really, but who in their right mind would have sent BSB riders out in the wet at Mallory to evaluate the course when there was clearly standing water on the course? An outstanding young talent is no longer with us because of this on a "safe" short circuit.
I can remember Hizzy standing alone at Mallory before a race. I walked across and asked him what was wrong. He told me how much he hated the place, and was always relieved when he finished unscathed.
Honestly, I'd rather ride round the TT course in the wet, than race at Mallory in the wet. I don't know what point I'm really making, apart from it's ALL bloomin' dangerous!
01-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Trivia
Ah Bill has it. Tommy Price (1949 World Speedway Champion) is correct, though I've been a little unfair, as he only practised in the 57 Manx, as he crashed at Kerroo Mooar on the Thursday morning. Tommy was 45 then, so I must ask, as I don't know: when did the 40 year old maximum age ruling come into force?
01-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147

Got 6 pics of Tommy Price in practice, plus some good ones of NJ - Scott mounted in the re-enactment.
Looking for pics of Bert Fruin with his Fruin Dartela in the 1962 and 1963 50cc TT, someone is rebuilding the machine. Can anyone help?
01-08-2007, 12:39 AM
Website Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23

NJ will you stop asking awkward questions,I first rode MGP in '77 and 40 year rule was in then although lots of guys seemed to 39 for years. Lol
01-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

My old friend George Paterson was 37 for MANY years, and by the time he died, aged 69, noone had a clue how old he was... I was miffed because his "official" age made him younger than me by then! He had long since stopped needing to lie as these rules had ended, but he continued to maintain the illusion.
George died racing, at Knockhill, still beating younsters 40-50 years younger than him. The accident was unrelated to his age, and showed that youth is not always necessary to be a winner (Like Denis Gallagher.. in, I think his 54th year of racing, one of the greatest unrecognised talents in racing)
01-08-2007, 08:07 AM
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Good one
A good "competition" Nick, I was puzzled for a while, with Bill Kitchen coming up a few times, then Jack Parker for some reason.... Can we add Freddie Dixon to the list as well ?

I was surprised to realise it was Tommy Price...you beat me on this !

Who still holds the 1000cc Clubmans lap record then ??
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
10-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Website Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141

Helen, ya right about Denis Gallagher, he is underated, never gets the publicity he deserves, real stylish, and still winning, Keep going Denis.;
[Image: xibma1020.jpg]
11-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Website Find Reply