Marshaling query
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
Marshaling query
Can you tell me if there is still doubt re enough marshalls for the manx in view of the 26th accident. Another site has a couple of people who say this could put it in doubt. Are they just scare mongering. you can PM if you want to let me know thanks
09-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Frankly, the best people to tell you are Roger, Jan and the team at the TTMA, but I would reckon that it will be difficult for even them to know until the day.
It is always more difficult to fill the complement of marshals at MGP time, as less people come from across, and many residents here have used up their holidays covering the TT. However, marshals are an enthusiastic, loyal lot, and turn out in numbers in spite of inconvenience to themselves quite often.
I think practice week will be difficult... so all you IMC qualified people PLEASE, PLEASE get out there.
I don't think they will be put off by recent press coverage, in fact for some it will spur them on to volunteer when perhaps they hadn't been going to bother this time.
It's an enormous undertaking manning 37 3/4 miles of the TT course, and the TTMA do it so professionally, so enthusiastically, and I am filled with admiration for the organisers.
They support us all, give us a great Marshal's Supper, with riders to meet and raffles to win (LOL!) and provide training that is incredibly valuable in your general life.
All in all, it's a pretty good bargain, for (most of the time) standing observing your favourite sport and sportspeople, closer than others can. The risks are very few, although not to be discounted, but the rewards, while not financial are terrific.
If you are a marshal.. please be there... if you are not...book your training now... you'll be needed next year.
http://www.iomttma.com
09-08-2007, 11:29 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=8562

Foolishly, I thought, no spectators, less marshals needed, but I didn't think about the policing of the regs...silly me..
09-08-2007, 12:18 PM
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

The only problem I can see is that the number of marshalls that come here from accross and give their time and holiday's is going to be reduced due to the ongoing investigation.

The other problem is that no matter how many people sign on to marshal, there is no guarantee that they will actually turn up, there are many who only sign on for the goodies involved. There are also a few people that want to move round the course night after night. My own personnal oppinion is that if people want to marshal they should be given a designated area and told to stay there. A list of the marshals can then be given to the SM's or DSM's to do a check. This is really for two reasons, the first is that the same team is there night after night and so everyone knows what to do if something happens, and the second is that organisers know how many people should be marshaling at each sector and so can make a judgement on cover.

I know this is a problem every year but maybe its time to put a stop to the goodie getters.

I know that places like the famous, or infamous, GLM Club there are gentlemen there that are great marshals and although many might think they are having fun out there in mozzie land, are totally professional in their approach and I for one would be happy to see them as I came round after an off as I would feel secure in the knowlage that they would look after me. I only wish the few others who get arm bands or tabbards had the same love for the sport and dedication to professionalism as these men and were not there just for how much they can make from being there.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
09-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Find Reply
mikec Offline

Threads: 6

One point that has been missed,

If they are going to restrict the viewing areas,
You should have people that might want to get invovled on the marshalling front, so they can be close to where they like to watch,

Its a bit of a double egded sword, you will have people who want to help out, but dont have the bit of paper to do so,
So all being well, Roger & his team will have thought of this & got extra training sessions sorted?

As an aside, We where over near the outbreak last weekend, About 2 miles away, not one notice informing people to be careful!! :x

All the best
Mike
09-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Find Reply
ALP Offline

Threads: 2

Even if 200 new marshals came forward tomorrow, none of them can be included in the marshals figures.

A new marshal is deemed to be a trainee marshal until they have completed 10 "sessions" when they then become a "proper" marshal. Trainee marshals are not included in the minimum manning level figures - only the proper marshals are.

A "session" is a practice or a race session - if a new marshal does every practice and race during MGP, then by the last race day, they will have become a proper marshal.

The mimimum number of marshals required arounnd the course (all in the right places) is 516 to allow a practice or race to begin.
09-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Find Reply
yorky Offline

Threads: 1
Marshalls
A lot of people/marshals i know both in GB and IOM are unsure weather to sign on to marshal as a result of the legal problems ongoing from the dreadfull accident during the TT.We need some sort of statement giving clarification as to the legal position when marshaling. None of the websites in connection with the TT,have addressed this problem as yet ,not only this site, but the IOM TT Marshals Association ltd and the Isle of Man TTs admin seem reluctant to comment.I appreciate they are restricted in what they can say , not only our welfare but the safe running of the TT depends on the marshals ease of mind.
09-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

I happen to know that a lot of work is going on regarding marshalling and now that I've seen this

http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=8562

I know that work is nearing completion

I have already signed on to marshall for newcomers race sadly it is the only day I can.
But I urge others to sign on and marshall especially those with experience and those with emergency services experience.
There can never be too many marsahls
09-08-2007, 06:29 PM
ALP Offline

Threads: 2

Yorky.

As soon as something can be announced, then it will be. There are loads of different meetings going on each day involving the MMCC, TTMA, ACU, Police, Dept of Transport, Dept of Tourism, DAFF and various Govt Ministers all trying to clarify the situation and sort something out for the MGP.
09-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23

Thats great Alp,er it starts next week!!!!
09-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Find Reply
irishago Offline

Threads: 18
MGP 2007 Marshals.
Hi Cargo, I to signed on yesterday to Marshal for both Newcomers and Senior Race days. As im doing the 250 Classic on the Wednesday. Im going to try and get in 1 or 2 practice sessions if possible. Just happy that the Manx is going ahead. My first in over 10 years . It looks like sector 11 for me all the best Irish Ago.....
10-08-2007, 08:31 AM
Website Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Good man ago

I think it goes without saying where I'll be for my day on duty :wink:

Anyone visiting Team Cargo in the paddock will be frogmarched to the TTMA office and "encouraged" to sign on.

You might get a cup of tea or more after signing............ :wink:
10-08-2007, 08:38 AM
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

Will be doing the usual Cargo.....

So you know :wink: :wink: sorted matey
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
10-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Find Reply