Jock Taylor
thewitch
Unregistered

Jock Taylor
It's 25 years today since Jock lost his life at Imatra in Finland.
Jock was a miners' son and most of his contemporaries probably never heard of Imatra, and certainly didn't travel the world, racing at world class level, and being lauded as an ambassador for the sport and for his beloved Scotland.
We all know how brilliant Jock was as a sidecar driver, but as a person he was a star too. No matter that Yamaha feted him in Japan, and he was World Champion, he was still the same person he had been when he was a lawnmower mechanic for the local council (wouldn't he and Guy have made a great lawnmower racing team!!)
When Jock and Katy got married, all his old friends were there, and the star of the day was his Katy. When he came to club dinner dances, he was just Oor Jock... never the celebrity.
He used to worry what he would do, after he won the title at such a young age.. "this is all I ever thought about... now I've done it... will I always be former world champion? What am I going to do now?"
He and Katy bought a croft, and he started to grow vegetables... "I'll be a small holder...." and an area in the outhouse was set aside for the boys to pee in..."That's the secret of great mushrooms", he said.
I couldn't go to his funeral. I was on my way to work in Norway that day, and it really came home to me that he was gone forever when I visited Katy a few weeks later, and there were his cabbages, carrots and turnips, growing away, but he would never taste them.
You'll never be forgotten by us, Jock... always in our hearts.
15-08-2007, 10:43 AM
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

As ever, Helen, you have the knack of reminding us of late, great men who remained ordinary in so many ways.
I still have vivid memories of one of the best ever on three wheels.
A legend

MV
15-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Website Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58

Thanx Helen, hope its ok as i also posted your message on the bsb forum as i know many on there also remember Jock with great admiration and affection.

We went down to Jocks today with flowers too, and had a chat.

Where have all those years gone ?

He was one of racings much loved characters who left us far too early but with so many happy memories.

I always think its a real tribute to a racer, if on first thought you remember them with a smile.

Jocks always remembered with a large smile Big Grin

"Happy Memories"
15-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Find Reply
ade! Offline

Threads: 30

r.i.p. john robert. you might be in the back of my mind these days, but you're still there. and that smile? racers don't smile like that anymore, more's the pity. bless ya.
ade!
ACU? why not add "nt" to the end, you'll get the idea!
15-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Find Reply
shuffler Offline

Threads: 0

AS ade says ''that smile''. On the island in 1982 ,the future wife and i called into one of the many watering holes in Douglas one night.On buying a few drinks we made our way to the rear lounge only to find Jock and Benji having a quite drink.Needless to say we had a great time,as jock made us feel very welcome, which i will never forget.Just one of the boys.Still got the photos of that night,and as ade said that smile.
shuffler
shuffler
15-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

[Image: th_jockTaylor0001.jpg]

I'm a bit biased about this grinning picture, as it was me he was grinning at!
15-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141

RIP Jock, ya were the best sidecar driver ever!
15-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Website Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

My hero... always....
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
16-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Find Reply