1954 Sidecar - a passenger query
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
1954 Sidecar - a passenger query
This one should tax even the likes of Elwyn, Larry and Nick!
In 1954 Swiss Hans Haldemann rode practice for the Sidecar TT, but non-started the race. In the programme the passenger is listed as Luigi Taveri, but even though Luigi rode with Hans for the rest of the season, he was not ballast at the TT.
Any one might know who the mysterious passenger was?
Pat and I are due off to Canada this weekend to meet and greet the Canuks who have ridden or spectated in the Island - see you all in six weeks, more if the lottery numbers come up!
04-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

Not sure about this, Bill.

I don't have a full 1954 set of the "TT Special", but according to the "Motor Cycling" race report, noting the non-starters, "Hans Haldemann, of Switzerland, arrived minus a machine and, being unable to borrow one good enough to match his ability, has now returned home".

Doesn't say he practiced - doesn't say he didn't!!

So, did he??

:?
04-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

A little more info - it was of course the first Sidecar TT since the 1920s, and Watsonians had promised Hans a good, competitive outfit to take on the BMWs.

Perhaps cynical (aren't we all!) he left Luigi Taveri on the Continent and pitched up in Douglas.

The "good, competitive outfit" he had been promised turned out to be a tired long-stroke Norton that apparently steered and handled like a bowl of soup.

With a scratch passenger, who unfortunately was not immortalised by the then media and thus remains anonymous, he completed only two laps rather than the three necessary to qualify, and confirmed his first impression that the outfit would do nothing for his bank balance, nor indeed for his reputation.

Declining to do the required third lap, he became of course a non-qualifier and left the Island!

Shrewd man.

:wink:
04-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Hans passenger
We have three shots of Hans, two show the passenger who is quite tall, definitely not Luigi!
04-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
ican
Pass on our best wishes to Harold and Mary please, from Ian and Carole H
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
06-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Website Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Our Canadian adventure has been put back a weekas Pat has picked up an ear infection; in the meantime I am busy putting the MGP results book together, it should be available from the MMCC within a few weeks, will keep you posted.An addition to this years results book should be speeds from the Sulby Straight speed trap. These should make for interesting conversations i.e. "it goes that fast - how come you lap that slow?"
07-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Website Find Reply