Bill McLaren, sidecar racer
Nitor Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 3
Bill McLaren, sidecar racer
Sad news to be posting, but best that all Scottish sidecar fans know that Bill McLaren passed away this morning, after a short illness borne with the attitude we'd all expect from Bill.
He was a KDMC member and racer for many years, and lived in Fife until he moved South for a wee while, returning 'home' a couple of years back.
He shared some good days out North and South of the Border with all the sidecar crews and enjoyed his trips to Belgium and to the Island, success coming late for Bill in the Classic Sidecar events.
His cheery enthusiasm for all things kept his spirits up when he heard of his illness and it's likely outcome, much more than those around him who worried that he might not make it, and a recent operation left him a bit under the weather but it was hoped that further treatment may have been possible, but.............

To the end he was planning his next racing trip, albeit as a spectator rather than a racer for a wee while until he got 'sorted out'.
Izzy assures me that Bill was in no pain at the end, for which we should all be grateful. She'll be lost for a while without Bill as they were inseparable, but family and friends will help fill part of the gap left in her life, and knowing Izzy she'll be fine.

Funeral details will follow as we get them.

Rest in Peace Bill.
11-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Find Reply
mikec Offline

Threads: 6

Bill will be sorely missed by all that knew him,
One of lifes great characters, Who enjoyed what he did,
But didnt lose the fun side of things,

Mike & Yvonne
12-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Find Reply
Nitor Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 3

Izzy has been in touch to advise that Bill's last journey will be to Kirkcaldy Crematorium on Tuesday at 3pm, to which all are invited.

Please pass the word around as Bill had a huge circle of friends, and given the swift progress of the illness many will be unaware that he had been, and trying to track everyone down will be difficult.
12-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Just wanted to say a wee bit about Bill. I hadn't seen Bill and Izzy much in recent years, but when I was planning my move here, Willie Stewart asked Bill if he would advise us on how to pack my stuff in the hired truck, as he used to be a removal man.
They turned up on the day, and both worked like Trojans. Without his experience and advice we would never have got all my rubbish fitted in the truck.
When we got here I was fortunate enough to be helped unload by another removal professional (thanks again Garry and Claire) who was most impressed by our packing... now you know why, Garry!
At the Pre TT Classic, he was there, bright and breezy as usual.
That was just weeks ago, and now he's gone. It seems unbelieveable that his illness took him so quickly. He'll be much missed.
I know Izzy will have support from all their friends, and my thoughts are with her and the family and close friends.
13-09-2007, 11:19 AM