The Early Morning Practice Bus
thewitch
Unregistered

The Early Morning Practice Bus
Taking a leaf out of Paul Phillips book here!
If you were on the above TTwebsite excursion, would you be good enough to PM me your thoughts... was it good? How could it be better? Any thoughts on a charity for the income? Should we do it again? Like the commentators? Wnat anyone else as a commentator or guest? want a tour T-shirt? etc...
13-09-2007, 01:49 PM
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

Well Helen, thanks for the opportunity.
Pamela nd I thoroughly enjoyed the trip.
It was a top 3 highlight for me!
One of the highlights of the trip was chatting to Nick Jeffries
and others over breakfast.
I dont know how many people would like to do it again, but I would.
The idea of a fun t-shirt to commemorate it would be good, too.
It would seem that getting a current rider to commentate is a problem
because they are so busy.
But there are plenty of ex riders who might be tempted.
How about Charlie Williams for example?
Milky Quayle?
Geoff Cannell?
Shaun Harris?

As for an appropriate charity?
Well, the helicopter fund and Joey Dunlop foundation stand out, dont
they?

One other thing that I suggested we could try this year, was to have
a classic or two hidden away at a stop somewhere? At the Sulby Glen Hotel for after breakfast for example?
Or the car park at the wild life park?
Or at Balacraine somewhere?
Just an idea.
I am sure other people will have some great ideas.
Just asked P and she said "fabulous! Count me in!
Her only proviso was that we didnt really need to be SO early as
we then had to hang around for Rosie.
We only really started early because of the early morning practice idea.
yes, Helen, it went well (apart from some of us feeling embarrased by our failures with the quiz! Apart from Fitzs Sharon that is!)

MV
MV
13-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
EMP
Oh what a great experience which we all enjoyed thoroughly especially with such a wonderful commentary emanating from Nick .

We must do it again but perhaps stand a while at the start area as the dawn breaks and have a "sounds off" recording of a four or six MV or Honda plus a two stroke going throgh the start and finish area.

Of course we do the lap again but most of us did a lap after the old practice finished instead of going back to the hotel etc to go back to sleep (always felt dozy after grabbing a few winks after practice).

Spectators and riders used to grab a hot soup or hot chocolate from the tent which eventually became thje TT Supporters supported riders and wives haven..Oooh that oxtail soup, I can still taste it !!

We must have our breakfast at Sulby again, that was nice being able to chat and reminisce. and we must stop at Clarks corner (My favourite stop) to see the early morning sunshine !

I recommend we have it again in 2008 and try to fill even more buses.

Some kind of certificate would be appropriate !!
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
14-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Website Find Reply
alf885 Offline

Threads: 46

Tell me more, sounds like fun. alf
15-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

15-09-2007, 06:44 PM
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

praccy
Oh Alf885, where does one start......

Early morning practice was something we, who took part, either as competitor or spectator, marshall or spannerman, will never ever forget...

Yes, it meant getting up early but that WAS the TT requirement right up to just a short time ago...

The Soup/Coffee (and Hot Chocolate too) Tent was THE meeting place and I personally met so many friendly people there after practice and this was about 7am, and most of us had been up and about more than three hours.

I never heard anyone complain....If anyone has not tried getting up at 3.30 am and seen the sunrise out over Douglas Bay, well, they haven't lived.

This is why we stalwarts tried to recreate the time last year (07) and MUST do it again in 2008, but earlier !!

Also we must have noises-off to recreate it properly, all we need is a good quality tape player and suitable soundtrack.....then watch a few of us blubbering !!

I have an old reel-to-reel tape of four four-cylinder Hondas (early 60s) going through the Finish and I will see if I can put it on CD and play it in 2008...What a glorious bird-waking noise. Glencrutchery road had a pile of guano after practice as the birds, woken up early, s*** themselves...We nearly did TOO..

Another chapter for my book with pictures !!
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
15-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

quiz
I don't think we need a written quiz next year, no disrepect to the Woods, but I would perhaps suggest some other kind of audience participation which will be sorted out in time for 2008 say a photograph quiz with the help of Captain Snelling ??
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
15-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Website Find Reply
alf885 Offline

Threads: 46

Evening Everyone, The only morning practice I can remember seeing, not hearing you understand, was 2002. I stumbled out of my pit up to Douglas Road corner with a few other hardy soles and shivered myself back to sleep. Next thing I'm wrenched out of my slumber by a crescendo of noise as gearboxes were being slammed into the turn. Not quite the sound of a Honda six or an MV but impressive none the less.

By the Saturday, after being persuaded by my fellow shiverers, I took an early morning lap before breakfast. I really enjoyed that lap more than any others, quietish roads etc. apart from a lumbering old coach packed with punters! Since then I try to do at least one early lap before going home.

In 08 I could do both. You might need to get a bigger bus. alf
15-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

"a lumbering old coach packed with punters!"
It wasnae us!
15-09-2007, 07:35 PM