Geoff Cannell
Stella Offline

Threads: 58

Very shocked to read this.

Altho we haven`t managed across to the island for many years now due to other racing commitements. Geoff was amongst the voices most associated with the great TT commentaries along with Peter Kneale.

So the next best thing being that they could so portray the Races that you felt like you were there 8)

Sincere thoughts to his family and friends.

Stella
25-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Find Reply
GriffMuss Offline

Threads: 32

I was shocked to hear this news today, we've now lost two of the TT best commentators who had vast knowledge especially the yesteryears.
Like already mentioned not many can make you feel you're there taking in the atmosphere when you're actually not.
I don't think there has been many a time when Geoff has been lost for words when he's been on the end of the mike and someone else requested to say a few words without being asked ! Well I asked him when I stepped up stage to receive my silver rep and my win in the 125
Manx GP in 2004 along with a 100.16mph lap. I still find it funny now when we look back at the video.
RIP Geoff
and condolances to Lynda and Zoe.
Roll on ALAND 2009, Island Games Xlll.
Yahoo, I've achieved 3 guidelines for the Island Games & I'm selected ! May see you after at the S100 & Jurby Road.
25-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Website Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

It just goes to show that you really have to make the most of every day of your life,something which I am trying to come to terms with myself.It is hard to realise that Geoff has gone,we all thought he would be around forever.His TT and MGP knowledge will be irreplaceable,and we will all miss him.
26-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Dedication
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
26-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Website Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ian that was a superb tribute thanks.
26-09-2007, 07:40 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

26-09-2007, 10:10 PM
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63

This is a massive loss to the TT, MGP, many other sports, and to the Island community.

I felt that, following Peter's death, Geoff would carry on that "tradition" of enthusiasm and wide-ranging knowledge. Now Geoff's sudden passing has left a void with no obvious successor to fill it.

When I first heard Geoff's commentaries on Manx Radio I failed to spot the underlying wit, but quickly respected his massive knowledge of his chosen subject.

He once sent me the following anecdote which typified his sharp wit:

"I recall once asking Nigel Mansell if he had a word for Manx Radio, and he said yes:"begger off", to which I replied "that's two words!"
26-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Find Reply
renzo Offline

Threads: 4
geoff
my first post on this site and it has to be a sad one.
the voice of the tt/mgp has fallen silent.
rip geoff.

dennis.
mgp rider 1970/77 and still missing it.
27-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

For those who have asked about funeral arrangements, there will be a private family funeral, and a service of thanks for his life will be held at a later date.
Donations in lieu of flowers may be sent to the ACU Benevolent Fund c/o Mrs Wyn Evans, 3 Mount View Terrace, Onchan.
27-09-2007, 03:57 PM
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

I have just returned from a holiday on another island, Menorca.
One of my first jobs was to catch up on here.
So, to be greeted by this awful news was a real shock.
My enduring memory of him now, will be to see him enjoying, with the rest of us, the wonderful reenactment at St Johns. He was clearly in his element.

The fact that I am of a similar age reminds me yet again that we must all make the most.

RIP Geoff and (was it ever more apprpriate?) thanks for the memories.

MV
MV
29-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Website Find Reply
Harry Offline

Threads: 25
Sad news
Sorry to be so late...

Thanks for that perfect tribute, Ian.

Every passing is also a reminder to tell people how much we appreciate them while they are still here with us.

Our thoughts are with Geoff's family and friends. I hope they can find some comfort in knowing how many people around the world feel a sense of loss and sadness. What a legacy !
29-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Find Reply
David Griffiths Offline

Threads: 19

As well as covering motorsport events, Geoff covered all sports on the Isle of Man for many years in his role as Manx Radio sports editor. There are some great personal memories of Geoff on the Manx athletics forum from several people who knew him well. These can be viewed at http://pub38.bravenet.com/forum/3219660836/show/644044
01-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Find Reply
Alex Sinclair Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Re: Geoff Cannell
thewitch Wrote:I am very sad to have to tell you that Geoff Cannell has passed away. I am still shocked to hear this news, just broadcast on Manx Radio. Apparently Geoff had a heart attack yesterday. He will be very much missed.
Geoff was 65, and is survived by his wife, Linda and daughter, Zoe. Our thoughts are with them.

Please forgive my late posting. I met Geoff for the one and only time in 1978, in a pub near Crosby I think.

I remember listening to every word he said in awe at his knowledge of the TT. Until this dreadful news I continnued to do so - even when we only got snatches of Geoff on Manx radio. No better man to fill a gap in the racing with stories and comment from a seemingly bottomless pit of knowledge.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends and again, my apologies for the late posting.

Alex Sinclair
11-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Find Reply