Geoff Cannell
thewitch
Unregistered

Geoff Cannell
I am very sad to have to tell you that Geoff Cannell has passed away. I am still shocked to hear this news, just broadcast on Manx Radio. Apparently Geoff had a heart attack yesterday. He will be very much missed.
Geoff was 65, and is survived by his wife, Linda and daughter, Zoe. Our thoughts are with them.
25-09-2007, 07:07 AM
Kev from RRS.Com Offline

Threads: 19

Very sad indeed Sad

RIP

Kev
Those that do don't, and those that don't, do
http://www.roadracingsupporters.com
25-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Website Find Reply
Fitz Offline
Fitzjnr

Threads: 15

Dreadful news :cry:

He will be sadly missed by Racers and Fans alike. Along with Peter Kneale he was one of the best and could also be considered the voice of the TT.

Condonlences to his family and many friends.

RIP Geoff.
25-09-2007, 08:08 AM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16

Oh dear,
Never met the chap but certainly knew his name well. Far too young. Take care everyone, look after yourselves and enjoy your life. Forget about the silly issues. Sad news, indeed.
25-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32

Well I'm totally shocked and saddened by this terrible news. I had known Geoff since the 60's, when we competed in the Manx 2 Day Trial. He was a very useful trials rider, and I think he was still competing in his 60's. I admired his knowledge of the all aspects of motor cycle sport on the Island, and was interviewed by him many times for Manx Radio. I really liked his commentary style, listening to him made you feel that you were actually present at the races.I was delighted that he appeared to have settled his differences with Manx Radio, which I know had made him very unhappy over the last few years.
I send my deepest sympathy to his family,and to his close friends. I am sure that the whole of the Island, not just the racing fraternity, will miss Geoff Cannell.
25-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40

I'm just stunned by this. I was just a kid when I first heard Geoff commentating and grew up with him being a fundamental part of the TT & MGP. I was pleased to have met him on a few occasions and the sport as a whole will be the poorer for his passing.

My sympathies to his family.
25-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Website Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

What can one say Geoff was a great commentator and his knowledge of the TT and all forms of motorcycling was unsurpassed ,RIP GEOFF.
25-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10

Geoff was one of the voices of the races, and his knowledge and enthusiasm always shone through.

RIP Geoff.
25-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Website Find Reply
Arthur Lawn Offline

Threads: 23

Very sad news,65 is no age at all these days.My condolances to all effected by Geoff's passing
R.I.P.
25-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Find Reply
andy21aa Offline

Threads: 6

Taken far too soon, condolences to his friends and family.

RIP Geoff
25-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15

Yery sad - my thoughts are with the family. He was certainly one of the sounds of the TT - somewhere I have a cassette of the Manx Radio commentary for "my" races in 1971, and can easily recall his lovely Manx accent pronouncing my name as "Curtney".
There should have been many more years.
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
25-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Find Reply
Sport-Pics Offline

Threads: 3

A very sad day indeed. It seems like only yesterday that we were sharing a joke at the Manx. A courteous and friendly man who made you feel totally welcome.

RIP Geoff,

Rusty
You are there to be shot at!!!
Sport-Pics
25-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Website Find Reply
fred clarke Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 4
Geoff Cannell
We may have had our differences away from the microphone, but as a broadcaster and commentator Geoff Cannell was up there with the very best.

His talents, I respected, and his ability with words, I envied.

He was able to paint the most glorious and vivid verbal picture of the action as he saw it.

Simply turn on the radio, lay back, close your eyes, and the excitement and drama was there before you.

It was a pleasure to have shared the airwaves, and to have been a member of Manx Radios TT Team for over 20 years, and was indeed an honour to have worked with Geoff and Peter Kneale. Two names that will forever be linked to the TT Races.

My sympathies to his family and friends.

Fred Clarke
25-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Find Reply
Noddy Offline

Threads: 7

A true spoken wordsmith - both Geoff [and Peter] described the scene most clearly and could cover any delay in the schedule with some amazing facts and interesting snippets and made listening a pleasure.

That unmistakeable Manx accent spoke volumes for all of us who couldn't be on the Island each and every year.

Glued to the radio on F1 day, the scene was set, we would wait for the latest and then those glorious words "......and the light is on at Signpost for number 3, Joey Dunlop"

God Bless Geoff and condoleances to the Cannell family circle

Geoff Cannell - Legend
http://www.twostrokeracingsupportersclub.com helping to keep pure racing bikes on the roads....have you joined us?
25-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14

I would really just like to echo the words that everyone has already posted. Geoff was always a major part of the Manx for me, it was Geoff that interviewed me straight after my Lightweight win in 1996, i still have the commentary and its great to listen to instant recollections that Geoff could pull from memory about all sorts of subjects and eras within TT and MGP racing.
Along with Peter Kneale they were the best double act in the game, with peter in the grandstand and Geoff in pit lane, as said before even if you weren't there you could just close you eyes and it would be like you were there with Geoff and Peter talking.
Geoff you will be sorely missed.
RIP
Russ Henley
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
25-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Website Find Reply
nutty slack Offline

Threads: 9

What can I say that hasn't already been said. Geoff was the voice of the TT and the Manx, his commentarys were always a joy to listen to. You will be sadly missed. Sincere condolences to all of the family.
25-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Find Reply
alf885 Offline

Threads: 46

Likewise, I am unable to add anything that hasn't already been so eloquently expressed by forum members other than to offer my condolences to Geoff's family and friends. alf
25-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Deeply Shocked
What awful news...

We have all known Geoff for many years and his voice and application to the TT and Manx will be placed in the same category as Peters...

People we can't replace, people who were the Isle of Man TT, people we loved and respected, people.........................

I am pleased that I knew him and truthfully appreciated his friendliness especially when he took over from Peter in the press office.

Geoff was a good motorcyclist himself and exuded enthusiasm albeit in his own way.

He didn't get on with everyone and could sometimes be abrasive, but once he got to know someone, he was pleased to help. He did not suffer fools.

All I can feel is deep sadness that we won't see him in 2008.

I also remember his commentaries from Ballaugh...............

However, m final memory of him in 2007 will be of when I turned up at the re-enactment at St Johns in my best 1907 outfit with cowpat cap, to be greeted by Geoff who said to me "I thought you were going to get dressed up !!"....

As it happened, I was but that was Geoff, with tongue in cheek and a wry grin...

My condolences to all of his family.. He will be irreplaceable..
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
25-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Website Find Reply
Michael Offline

Threads: 6

A very sad lost! Another part of the TT is gone. My deepest condolences to his family.
Michael
25-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Website Find Reply
pitlane07 Offline

Threads: 31
geoff cannel
God bless Geoff,thanks from TT fans all over the world,and your fans.
PITLANE 07
25-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Find Reply