Mike Hailwood
thewitch
Unregistered

Mike Hailwood
One of the best clips I've seen for a long time. Thanks EM!
Enjoy!

http://www.moto22.com:80/tag/mike+hailwood
31-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12

The halcyon years when men were men and tyres w ere skinny and they worked on their own bikes and raced on proper circuits.

How did they film the on bike shots n those days?
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
31-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I wondered about that too. I think a lot of it was done when there was no racing on, but the practicalities of it? Cameras were huge. He doesn't look as if there's anything on the bike or him... anyone got info?
31-10-2007, 11:02 AM
cargo
Unregistered

There were a couple of shots where it looked like he wasn't wearing gloves :shock:
31-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12

Cargo, I pretty sure he is wearing a pair of genuine pale cream cowboy ropeing everyday work gloves, I know I saw him wearing them, I got some the same at that time from a hardware store in Flagstaff Arizona

I think they are made of Elk hide just about the the toughest leather you can get and seems that you cannot wear them out.

I still have mine as good as new after using them from the early sixties racing and every day for twenty years riding horses.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
31-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
SMB
What a fabulous sequence, especially of the view from orf the bike..

I remember seeing a special camera being used in those days and I think it was an 8mm film unit of the Kodak type (before the days of Video) The camera was small enough to be strapped on the bike and the trigger to start and stop it was pressed by the rider (in this case Mike) as he set off and slowed down.. A bit of trimming here and there and we have a great sequence as seen.

The early TT laps were filmed in the same way and I remember sitting in the back of an open hatchback one year, with such a camera, filming fans overtaking us on the Mad Sunday of that year !!!

So much easier nowadays !
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
31-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Website Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

Absolutely wonderful stuff!

Such vivid images and memories of the great man
MV