The end is here
Shaun Harris Offline

Threads: 48
The end is here
The world has changed and I am moving on

It is with a bit of regret, that I am announcing my retirement as a rider.

I have been thinking very hard about this over the last few months, and have decided that if I was to race again, I probally would not even get back to my best again since my big crash, and do not see the point in fighting for 10th place ( Respect to those that are still moving up)

I have had such a wonderfull 21 years chasing race meetings and my goals around the world, I got to live and race in Japan for 3 years, and hung out in the uk for a few years, as well as the USA and Italy and other countries.

In 1993 I gave up as a rider, and took on a roll as team manager for a Grand Prix 250 team, the team itself was excrement, the owner a liar and a con man, but the experience was really great, as well as the people I got to meet because of the position I was in. The owner ( Irish man) Still owes me 10-000 Pounds for a machine I paid for, he was to repay me but failed to.

I have been lucky enough in my racing life, to stand on a podium in 3rd place in a world championship endurance race in Malaysia, I have won a lot of championships in my country New Zealand, and have the honour of my 2 wins at the Isle of man TT races, so all in all, I have been really lucky, and have been given so much help over the years.

To all that have supported me, thankyou very much for helping make me the man that I have become.
24-11-2007, 04:08 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

As the late great Stanley Woods said making the descision to retire is easy sticking to it is very difficult.
Best of luck Shaun
24-11-2007, 05:28 AM
alf885 Offline

Threads: 46

Congratulations and best wishes Shaun. We all look forward to seeing back on the Island soon, don't stay away too long. alf
24-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Website Find Reply
nutty slack Offline

Threads: 9

All the very best Shaun, you are one great bloke and it's my loss never to have met you. Lots of luck in all that your future holds.
24-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Not the end, Shaun... the beginning of something new... what next?
24-11-2007, 09:23 AM
crazy blanket Offline

Threads: 41

One door closes........

All the best Shaun.... whatever you do, you'll aspire to greatness.... and thats all that counts really
24-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Find Reply
andy21aa Offline

Threads: 6

Thank you for providing the enjoyment and spectacle for so many people over so many years, and for providing an unwitting role model to so many riders today.

Good luck Shaun.
24-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

What about the chairs
24-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Kev from RRS.Com Offline

Threads: 19

Shaun,

Not many can hang up their gloves with a list of achievements as long as the one that you can produce matey Smile

You have been great for the sport, and your involvement with the various web sites has been very much appreciated.

Whatever your future holds, I'd like to wish you and yours all the very best, and please do keep in touch on here from time to time Wink

Kev
Those that do don't, and those that don't, do
http://www.roadracingsupporters.com
24-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Website Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

I am as sad as any over this announcement, and yet.
How good that you finished at the top and survived??!
It was a pleasure meeting you and hope we will meet again.

Apart from the racing joy you brought us all, you introduced
us to the spirit of "The Worlds Fastest Indian"

I see a lot of Bert in you mate!

Enjoy the rest of your life.
I am so glad you have one.

Keep in touch with us.
MV
24-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Website Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58

I reckon it takes a bigger man to know when the time is right for a change of direction.

Not to many can look back and totally appreciate what a great life changing experience it must have been over the years during your career.

From all the highs and occasional lows i know for sure that you still must have a great deal to give the world of roadracing whatever direction this wonderfull sport takes you in.

Thanks for the many special memories and words you have given us Shaun and here`s to the future ! 8)

your friend,
Stella
24-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Find Reply
Noddy Offline

Threads: 7

Shaun, you're a legend. The very best to you and you're family :wink:
http://www.twostrokeracingsupportersclub.com helping to keep pure racing bikes on the roads....have you joined us?
24-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Find Reply
Crofter Offline

Threads: 4

All the best in what ever you decide to do.

You are a hero and have done what people like me can only dream of
so well done and thanks for the enjoyment of seeing yourself and others like you race.

Crofter
26-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

We are kind of glad to hear of your retirement Shaun as you won't be selling any more houses and leaving yourself and family skint in order to race the TT !Many of us have done exactly the same, so we understand, but it has to be a sensible but difficult decision to retire.I hope you will still visit the TT in the future so I will be able to meet you outside of Nobles :roll: All the best to you all.
26-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Find Reply
Shaun Harris Offline

Threads: 48

Thankyou all, so very kind for a bunch of softies

I would love to get over to the Island next year for the racing if possible, I would like to be there to help someone if possible, so we may all get that beer yet?
26-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16

Well, Shaun, whatever direction you decide to take you can be sure this 'lot' will follow with their usual support and enthusiasm for you. Best wishes.
27-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394

I'm glad to have seen your TT racing career right from the start and I am also proud to have been a small part of it all.

Good luck to you in the next stage of your plans and see you on the Island sometime.

By the way have you seen yourself in the new TT Celebration DVD on the Start making your leathers fit ??
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
28-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Website Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28

"I know, indeed, of nothing more subtly satisfying and cheering than a knowledge of the real good will and appreciation of others. Such happiness does not come with money, nor does it flow from fine physical state. It cannot be brought. But it is the keenest joy, after all; and the toiler's truest and best reward."
William Dean Howells

Thanks for all you have done for the TT Shaun;but keep your leathers just in case!
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
29-11-2007, 05:20 AM
Find Reply
kevin916 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0

Shaun,

Good luck in whatever you do next. You have never been anything other than honest in your goals and you have achieved so much.

Be Good, go fast and have fun !

Kevin Big Grin
30-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

WEll, I think the leathers probably ended up in the bin, Don, but his racing boots are in my dining room! To be sold for charity.
30-11-2007, 09:19 PM