Sir Norman
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
Sir Norman
I read on the Sir Norman website that my lifelong hero is in a nursing home and the stories on his website upset me? Helen you can probably tell me more as i dont know how to post the link.
21-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Find Reply
ali Offline

Threads: 5

yes sir norman is in abbotswood in ballasalla. he has been there for quite a while now. the story that was in the local paper a while ago was a bit of a shock. saying things like his children had sold his favourite cars etc and that his close friends and neighbours that he had made since moving to the island were banned from visiting him unless they had his childrens permission which wasn't given. i dont know how often his children visit as they dont live on iom. so it must have been an awful move for him going into a new place and not knowing anyone and not allowed contact with good friends.

i hope my kids dont do this to me when i get older.
ali
21-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Helen will know more on this pykey.
It is true that Norman now lives in a nursing home on the IOM.

There is a you tube video of him entertaining the other residents find it here

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doci...&plindex=6

And heres a news clip of him on the set of his last movie appearance

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doci...&plindex=6
21-12-2007, 10:34 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

I take what was in the paper with a pinch of salt.
While noone would aspire to be in a care home, that one has a pretty good reputation, and the thing which none of us have the age to understand is.. when you are that age, noone remembers the things you do, and that is very lonely. Staying with others your age can be helpful. When you have the early stages of dementia, those are the very memories you do keep and want to talk about.
When he first went there, it would have been beneficial for him to have a short period to settle in with as little disturbance as possible. I understand that now he goes out regularly for lunch... he recently officiated at a charity do, and he still goes off the island from time to time.
His family will have power of attorney, and may well sell things, but only if it is for his benefit. These things are very carefully monitored these days.
Imagine the delight of other residents having Sir Norman entertain them, and his joy at having a permanent audience who probably remember and recognise him better than they do some of their younger relatives!
My father insisted on driving when he was dangerous. After I pointed out to my mother that it might not be themselves he killed (she said that didn't matter as long as they died together) but someone's child (or Bessie the dog, who cowered under the seat!), she phoned the garage while he was asleep and sold the car. If she had not, he would simply have gone on driving.
21-12-2007, 10:43 PM
pykey Offline

Thanks for the information on Sir Norman if you have access to the PC HAPPY XMAS SIR NORMAN.
22-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Find Reply
gp
Unregistered

Mr Grimsdale is still under threat from Norman.............what a funny funny man he is, was, and always will be.
Sir Norman's films remain as infinite testaments to his towering intellect.

I almost wish I was a resident, sat near his chair.

Golly!
23-12-2007, 04:55 AM
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28

Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
14-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40

He's on the telly this week. 9.50pm wednesday the 16th on BBC2 - Wonderland: The Secret Life of Norman Wisdom Aged 92 3/4.

(EDIT: oops, should have read what was just posted...it refers to the program)

I met him in 1989 while watching at Alpine for the Senior and he said he fancied his hand at marshalling! Lovely bloke...
15-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Website Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28

Very good supporter of the bikes on the Island is Norman. Had the privilege to be speaking to him at Sulby Bridge one evening watching practice for the MGP in 2003. Sorry to admit I didn't know who he was. He came across as a very unaffected man and full of enthusiasm for the racing. It seems he is one of many come-overs who have made a real contribution to the community, unlike the famous others who come solely for economic reasons.

"Age is opportunity no less
Than youth itself, though in another dress,
And as the evening twilight fades away
The sky is filled with stars, invisible by day."

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

[Image: Norm.jpg]
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
15-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

i will watch tonight tue as i met Sir Norman on the prom years ago its so sad :cry: :cry:
15-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16

I had the thrill of a lifetime in meeting him on the Ferry from Heysham in 1990. He brought so much joy into my early life and I thanked him for that. What a delightful man. Love the pic.
16-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

the programe is tonight wed 16 not tues my appoligies i posted it was tue also its a 9 45 bbc 2
16-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58

Noticed this today Pykey, may be of interest.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/fe...ge_id=1879

Very sad but, its a terrible illness.

cheers,
Stella x
16-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I was very moved by the programme as it reminede me of many of the issues we dealt with when my Dad had Alzheimer's. 5 years ago right now, my Mam died, and Dad gave up all will to live. He died Southern 100 week 2003. Like Sir Norman, his tinming was perfect!
Bear in mind we saw Sir Norman as he was a year ago. the ireversible, inexorable progress of Alzheimer's has taken it's toll since then.
I am filled with admiration for his family, and, in particular for Kim. What a lovely woman.
It's always easier for paid staff to deal with these behaviours... it's not ther Dad, but it's still a hard and often very sad job. They are heroes.
17-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Stella Offline

Threads: 58

If anyone else missed the prog last night as i did.

I recently discovered bbc iplayer to view programes on your pc.

Its brill and i think they keep the progs for up to 7 days ?

Here is the link for last night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b008pzkh.shtml

cheers,
Stella
17-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Find Reply