A permanent place.. museum or living centre
thewitch
Unregistered

A permanent place.. museum or living centre
Well, it's nearly 2008, so it's time for a bit of controversy and adult discussion.
I've been giving thought to the need and desire for a Museum to permanently record the history of the people, the machines and the achievements of the TT, and I have a revolutionary idea.
(Stands well back and throws hat in first)
Are we being our usual insular, separatist selves here? Why just the TT.. why not all motorsport?... As a matter of fact, why not, on this amazingly diverse SPORTING Island.. why not a SPORTS MUSEUM.
This could cover the great competitors from all the disciplines pursued here. The Parish Walk, The Island Games, The rallies... Rally Isle of Man was voted the best rally in the British series this year.. cycling.. The Isle of Man has at least 2 of the top young cyclists in the world.. if Dot Tilbury is looking... what do you think?
Right.. over to you ... can we discuss this... where do you suggest... we know now that our original suggestion was not feasible under our ideas then, but how about a lateral thinking solution? Either a different way of adminstering it so it can be there, or a different venue?
It would be good if the core building itself was one of historic importance, and this saved it from the developer. I'd like to see it away from Douglas to bring some business to, perhaps, Port St Mary, or Port Erin... a bit off the beaten track, with a bit more space, perhaps... what about the old research station? Your suggestions? Thoughts? smilie
26-12-2007, 08:36 AM
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

Just a very brief response to this H.
Absolutely brillian idea!
I dont knw what others think but I am impressed by
the idea.
Now, who do you involve?
Is this a dept of tourism thing or moer important?
Plenty to discuss.
Just be warned that you may get a job... lol !
MV
26-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Website Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63

That's a top idea, Helen, but I'll be very surprised if it gets support from any official quarter if it is not situated in Douglas. There are numerous suitable sites outside Douglas, as mentioned before, but the old Ronaldsway Shoe Factory could have done the job (and situated right opposite the Airport).

Knighter (probably the greatest sportsman that the Island has ever produced) along with Martin Rowe, the Higgins brothers, are big names to add to the list of motorsport greats.

Paul can make it his project for 2008, now that the Centenary Year has just about finished.
26-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Find Reply
andy21aa Offline

Threads: 6

Not only brilliant, but essential.

Maybe the Heritage Lottery Fund could help, they seem to love schemes such as this.
26-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Do you think Knighter might support the project? I don't know him, but I'm brass-necked enough to approach him... or just about anybody! Lol!!
26-12-2007, 08:35 PM
beepee Offline

Threads: 23

02-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Find Reply